1972 Fury coupe cop car

The condition of the seats,dashpad and rubber floor mat look surprisingly great condition. I don't remember if my '70 Fury III "Pursuit" looks like with several feet of snow in front of the door.

yes the story matches and it sure look like it and the pics look the same. I'm pretty sure thats it. thank you for the link

Higher line cars could have been ordered with the A38 Police package on them but North Dakota didn't use 72 Fury IIIs , and that siren under the hood is an old 70s alarm/theft siren. NOT a emergency vehicle siren. But not all police package cars were 440s, big cities like Chicago, Rockford, Detroit, NYC etc mostly used six cylinder cars with three on the tree to answer calls, Lake shore drive cars or expressway cars were ordered with larger motors. Even the Illinois State police never had bigger than 383/400s . Yes even in the Blues Brothers Royal Monacos. North Dakota Highway Patrol and the like would have been big blocks. Here is another interesting bit of policing info for you. Ever wonder why you sometimes see old pictures or X police cars that are two door sedans? This was because they either didn't have arresting powers and were only revenue generators, handled accidents etc. OR if they had an arrest they called for a paddy wagon to take the prisoner away.

0707008 69 Fury CPD 010.jpgThe big silver thing poking thru the core support is a flood gate siren, Its loud alot louder than an alarm siren. Some things people don't realize is that while driving, the faster you go the more you out drive your siren.... meaning your car goes faster than the sound from the siren.

0707008 69 Fury CPD 010.jpg

Car goes faster than the speed of sound??

Mach 1??

Well in a way yes. This rarely happens on a fire engine because they don't skimp on equipment, but if you have ever noticed on an ambulance or squad car thats running lights & siren going to a call, how its quieter running down the road at high speeds than when its stopped at an intersection. The wind noise and use of cheap low watt speakers or weak/small motor driver sirens is the cause of this.A very powerful siren/speaker is needed to project noise away from the car as its running down the road.

Back