NOT MINE 1972 Imperial $33,600 (Sold)

Luxury cars are trending upwards . Even the Malaise era .
I own a 68 Barracuda , 69 340 4sp Dart Swinger and a 75 Crown Coupe . That Imperial draws the neighbors like flys !
And consider you can spend 20k on a 100k+ mile 10 year old car now so 30k for a nice classic is resonable .
View attachment 616466View attachment 616467View attachment 616468
Yes! I agree that the luxury cars are trending upwards. Before buying my New Yorker, I was seriously considering a 64-66 Mustang amongst many other popular classics. After spending over a year looking at what kind of a classic car I wanted to invest in next, I came to the realization that a unique luxury automobile would be more fun and interesting. Gliding down the backroads in a smooth, powerful, comfortable, and stylish Chrysler is an absolutely amazing experience. Definitely draws more attention than any other classic or muscle car that I owned in the past.

Last edited:
We're probably all blessed since we can afford to spend money on cars that are just there for our joy but are quite useless otherwise...
I am finding out there will and forever be maintenance required for classic cars, its never ending!

Since my post at 7:00 am ( its now 7:42) I drove to work in my Imperial and a woman in a Volvo pulled up beside me giving enthusiastic thumbs up .

Need I say more ?

I am finding out there will and forever be maintenance required for classic cars, its never ending!
Having owned many classic cars, I have found that if you drive them a lot... and I mean a lot! You will eventually work all the bugs out and they can become quite reliable. It takes some patience and a willingness to get your hands dirty for a while. I bought my 68 Ford Bronco in in 2012 and after the first year of dealing with a bunch of little problems.. it became my dependable daily driver for years. I purchased it for 14K, put another 15K into it in repairs and some restoration work over the past 11 years plus added 100K carefree miles and could easily sell it for 2-3 times what I have into it. On the same note... my wife bought a used 1970 VW Bug in 1978 when she was in high school. She will never part with it. Our daughter daily drove it through high school, college and her first two years as a teacher. We have receipts for oil changes, brakes and 2 engine rebuilds documenting over 500,000 miles over the past 45 years. I wouldn't hesitate to jump in that car and drive it anywhere.

:thumbsup:

1694532493527.png

WANT!

Well
it might be for sale when I’m done. I have too many cars and one of them will have to go . Although I am enjoying this more than my other cars at the moment . I built a 500hp W2 headed stroker for my Dart thinking I wanted a stock looking street machine but now I kinda like the quiet cruising experience of the Imperial.

I'm an amateur car collector and have been buying, fixing, selling and trading old cars for as long as I can remember. I've owned many mopars, mustangs, VW buses, and several early ford broncos. To me, these beautiful C-Body Mopars are an exceptional value at the prices I see them going for. This particular 72 Chrysler is amazing and at 33,600 is a bargain compared to many other all original classic cars.

I looked high and low for the last two years to find the car that I wanted for an epic road trip that my wife and I are planning. Finding our 1966 New Yorker with 37K verified and documented original miles, with cold AC in pristine condition at a sale price of 29K seemed to be very fair, especially out here in California. I did make an offer for less than that and the seller accepted.

I'm sure that many may think I overpaid.... but for me, I love this car and feel that it would have cost me a great deal more to find one that needs work and then put the time and money into making it what I want it to be. Out here in California... seams that everything is expensive. Re-upholstery = 6,000 +, Add AC = 5,000 +, a good paint job = 15,000 + and on and on...

View attachment 616284

View attachment 616285
This New Yorker looks familiar. Trying to decide if it was the exact one I saw in 2014 at a Mopar show in Fremont owned by an elderly couple. It was very nice back then.

Luxury cars are trending upwards . Even the Malaise era .
I own a 68 Barracuda , 69 340 4sp Dart Swinger and a 75 Crown Coupe . That Imperial draws the neighbors like flys !
And consider you can spend 20k on a 100k+ mile 10 year old car now so 30k for a nice classic is resonable .
View attachment 616466View attachment 616467

View attachment 616468

I don't think it will be long before the price of new and late model cars will be driving the price of a lot of cars from the seventies. You know, the ones with seat belts, head restraints and brakes that we can actually drive every day.

A few weeks ago, I bought a 4 dr 78 Grand Marquis so the folks at the grocery store can beat it up with their big p/u truck doors. Then replaced everything on that's not internally lubricated. Used the cheapest of new Chinese parts. It's at $2100 all in. Tax, $10 a year. Insurance, $120 a year. Gas, don't care. Minimum rust, good interior, fair top and paint. Easy to drive, smooth, quiet, and eager to go. So, it gets driven a lot.

How long will those be available? Or any other big 70s car, and at what price? Just for using to get around.

I can see where 10 to 30K for a premium non-depreciating (maybe non-depreciating) 70s car would be a lot more cost effective than 40k for a 5-year car that's going to be soon out of warranty and possibly serve up massive repair cost before its value is down to 4k at the 15-year mark. Anyone that goes the 50-year route certainly has my blessing.

So yes, I would probably be better served to go for the 50-year 20k cars than the $2k cars.

But, in the last year I picked up a 75 Dart, 72 New Yorker, 89 Fifth Ave (air bag car), 64 New Yorker, 67 Toro for 14k total. All a/c cars and we drive the all, near or far. Just like dad did.

A word on your Dart. The 69 340/auto/3.55/ps/pb GTS that I had in 74 was a "perfect" car as delivered from Dodge. My 69 Dart GTS 440 was a disaster, no fun, at all. Just saying.

P1010011 - Copy.JPG
P1010015 (2).JPG
P1010003 (10).JPG
P1010014 (2).JPG

Last edited:
I don't think it will be long before the price of new and late model cars will be driving the price of a lot of cars from the seventies. You know, the ones with seat belts, head restraints and brakes that we can actually drive every day.

A few weeks ago, I bought a 4 dr 78 Grand Marquis so the folks at the grocery store can beat it up with their big p/u truck doors. Then replaced everything on that's not internally lubricated. Used the cheapest of new Chinese parts. It's at $2100 all in. Tax, $10 a year. Insurance, $120 a year. Gas, don't care. Minimum rust, good interior, fair top and paint. Easy to drive, smooth, quiet, and eager to go. So, it gets driven a lot.

How long will those be available? Or any other big 70s car, and at what price? Just for using to get around.

I can see where 10 to 30K for a premium non-depreciating (maybe non-depreciating) 70s car would be a lot more cost effective than 40k for a 5-year car that's going to be soon out of warranty and possibly serve up massive repair cost before its value is down to 4k at the 15-year mark. Anyone that goes the 50-year route certainly has my blessing.

So yes, I would probably be better served to go for the 50-year 20k cars than the $2k cars.

But, in the last year I picked up a 75 Dart, 72 New Yorker, 89 Fifth Ave (air bag car), 64 New Yorker, 67 Toro for 14k total. All a/c cars and we drive the all, near or far. Just like dad did.

A word on your Dart. The 69 340/auto/3.55/ps/pb GTS that I had in 74 was a "perfect" car as delivered from Dodge. My 69 Dart GTS 440 was a disaster, no fun, at all. Just saying.

View attachment 616697View attachment 616698View attachment 616700View attachment 616701
Great collection. I love your van/wagon. What year is the van? B3500?

here in new england those cars are mostly gone and the junk that's left is all "mecum gold." as for affordable, the '04 and '05 xc70s that me and missus drive were both $600 cars. the parts car that i used to repair them was $500.

Yours is a beautiful car indeed but I disagree with you on value.

. I paid half for this one... and before I bought it I asked several 2 door owners what they paid/think was a fair price.15-20k is what a coupe brings, a 4 door is less.

I would spend more for a 4 door then a 2 door Fuselage Imp. 2 doors do not appeal to me nearly as much as 4 doors. Nothing against your car but between the OP car and yours, all else being the same, I'd take the OP car in a heartbeat. There's far more to market value then past sales or how lucky you are as a seller.

Yours is a beautiful car indeed but I disagree with you on value.

I would spend more for a 4 door then a 2 door Fuselage Imp. 2 doors do not appeal to me nearly as much as 4 doors. Nothing against your car but between the OP car and yours, all else being the same, I'd take the OP car in a heartbeat. There's far more to market value then past sales or how lucky you are as a seller.
I'm happy that peoples preferences are different because otherwise I couldn't afford my car. But if I put things in perspective for me I see that blue 1970 SFGT being offered for 30k and then this 4 door selling for 33k and ask myself how that goes along.. I mean a very sought after car produced 666 (or so) times vs the 15xxxish times produced 4 door. Yes this golden example is probably one of the finest you'll find but still it doesn't add up to me. But like I said the seller will be very happy and the buyer probably as well so good deal for everybody

Great collection. I love your van/wagon. What year is the van? B3500?
The van. 1998/360/3.91.
Pulls great, love it. Sucks gas, hate it. Big inside, love it. Rides terrible, hate it. Dual a/c, love it. Which sounds like a vacuum cleaner, hate it. Great stereo, love it. With the acoustics of a big tin can, hate it.
But if the tow trip is over night, it's the only way to suffer.
Can't live with it, can't live without it.

Last edited:
here in new england those cars are mostly gone and the junk that's left is all "mecum gold." as for affordable, the '04 and '05 xc70s that me and missus drive were both $600 cars. the parts car that i used to repair them was $500.

If I didn't have plenty of space or these weren't plentiful in the south, I would go with something similar as you are.
I do have a 95 Deville non NorthStar, a 96 Roadmaster wagon (good car), a 98 Deville that hasn't blown its heads off yet and a 2001 Lesabre. Good scooter car that one.
We don't drive them much anymore. Looking to eliminate computer cars here.

I'm happy that peoples preferences are different because otherwise I couldn't afford my car. But if I put things in perspective for me I see that blue 1970 SFGT being offered for 30k and then this 4 door selling for 33k and ask myself how that goes along.. I mean a very sought after car produced 666 (or so) times vs the 15xxxish times produced 4 door. Yes this golden example is probably one of the finest you'll find but still it doesn't add up to me. But like I said the seller will be very happy and the buyer probably as well so good deal for everybody

Original SURVIVOR status has its appeal.

If I didn't have plenty of space or these weren't plentiful in the south, I would go with something similar as you are.
I do have a 95 Deville non NorthStar, a 96 Roadmaster wagon (good car), a 98 Deville that hasn't blown its heads off yet and a 2001 Lesabre. Good scooter car that one.
We don't drive them much anymore. Looking to eliminate computer cars here.
I'm with you on the idea of eliminating computer cars. If I had it my way... I'd go completely analog. True freedom!!

C body prices are all over the map.

I see bargains all the time on nice desirable cars. They seem to not sell right away, if at all.

Then I see folks paying a premium on **** boxes that need thousands of dollars and many hours of work.

Makes no sense to me.

Plus Europeans are screwed at the moment. Economy going down the drain and interest rates sky rocketing. Many people are not in the market to buy 5 figure stuff they don't need

C body prices are all over the map.

I see bargains all the time on nice desirable cars. They seem to not sell right away, if at all.

Then I see folks paying a premium on **** boxes that need thousands of dollars and many hours of work.

Makes no sense to me.

I think YOU get it John. If you think about it, it's obvious.

Back