1972 Monaco Madness! AC compressor froze during sale!

daver

Reaction score
Wow! A Gentleman from Massachusetts trailered up and drove all the way here only to have the (non functioning) AC compressor seize up and the pulleys of course with it. The
smoke was quite entertaining - as was the screeching metal until it halted. The belt that melted as the drive pulley sheared away at the now-stationary belt in place was a real hoot!

NOW: Re-routing the belts looks nigh impossible - so unless there is a way to free up the pulleys on the compressor - i will need a replacement.
The clutch seems to be frozen as well - maybe that part solves the problem?

Chime in please - all help or a replacement would be welcome.

Best,

dave

Last edited:
Was the A/C on? Even if it were non functioning, these older cars did not have a low pressure cut off switch to shut down the compressor. If the A/C was not running the compressor clutch bearing probably froze, thus resulting in the squealing, smoking drive belts. If that is the case you can just replace the clutch bearing. I have already had a seized compressor stall the engine.

I had a 1973 Monaco 360/727. I changed the clutch and left the wire disconnected. Compressor condition didn't matter.

On those cars, and all C-bodies that year, the a/c compressor was ON all of the time, even if the inside control was "OFF". And the blower motor runs at a super-slow speed, too. There is a low-pressure sensor on the receiver/drier, a two-wire sensor. Unplugging that should turn off the compressor, like it would if the system was un-gassed. Other way to turn the compressor off is to move the heat lever until you hear/feel a slight click about 1/2 way toward hot. This is what I did to our '72 Newport.

When I was test driving a Cordoba 300 in '79, the a/c compressor locked up. New car! It would not idle on its own, so I was using my foot on the accel pedal. I figured it needed some TLC in make-ready. But after a mile or so of driving, I decided to see if it would idle on its own. It died. That's when the smoke started to curl up between the hood and header panel. So we pushed it out of traffic and the salesman called for help. The belts were turning to liquid in the pulley's grooves. I was amused, but remained calm and "It's not your fault, I know warranty will fix it" toward the new salesman.

Take care,
CBODY67

thanks guys!

clutch has been removed - it's toast. need another :(

Need to find out why it failed, while it's apart.

To turn off the ac compressor on the 1972 move the temp lever about 15-20% and it should click turning it off. I had a dual ac 72 T & C

Back