1972 Plymouth Fury III power steering gear box

MBar

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Mine won't adjust correctly since I changed the o-rings...it was really bad when I tried the wrong parts and it is driveable now but when I try to tap it (even slightly) it seems to be "overpowering" to both sides... Hmmm...anyhow, I found a used one on Craigslist and he includes the following numbers

2267282 R11 7131

Is this a good replacement? I just ordered a complete suspension rebuild kit and figure if it's easy enough at that time I will swap out the box.. unless there is something obvious that I am doing wrong... at one point when I first put the valve back on the box, I didnt get the actuator proporly seated and when I tightened the vavle body down, a gap was left (and a terrible mess when I turned the engine on!)...of course, I took it apart and carefully installed it correctly but I am wondering if I damaged the box...I do still have a leak on the box where the steering wheel goes in so that is why I am thinking of just swapping it out... is that an easy seal to change?

All advice and comments appreciated thank you in advance.

#2267282 R11 7131 Mopar Power Steering Gearbox

If the input shaft is leaking, the gear is probably due for a rebuild. Yes you could have damaged the actuator pins that stick up inside the valve and there is no good fix for that other than to rebuild the box. The gear has to come out to change the input seal and they usually leak because of too much end play or side play in the shaft. With the gear out, the end play can be adjusted with the proper tools, but that usually will not compensate for excessive wear to the gear components. I suggest you replace it with a rebuilt unit. Have a quality shop rebuild the gear as most of the auto parts units are cardone remans and they are generally poor quality.

Dave

If the input shaft is leaking, the gear is probably due for a rebuild. Yes you could have damaged the actuator pins that stick up inside the valve and there is no good fix for that other than to rebuild the box. The gear has to come out to change the input seal and they usually leak because of too much end play or side play in the shaft. With the gear out, the end play can be adjusted with the proper tools, but that usually will not compensate for excessive wear to the gear components. I suggest you replace it with a rebuilt unit. Have a quality shop rebuild the gear as most of the auto parts units are cardone remans and they are generally poor quality.

Dave
what about that used one on CL?

what about that used one on CL?

I generally do not like to fool around with used steering gears simply because it is a big job to change the gear and given there is no good way to determine its condition before installing it and I hate doing a job more that once, I bite the bullet for a good rebuilt. You might get lucky and find a pristine gear on Craig's List but it is probably more likely you will get screwed. Your call. In the famous works of Clint Eastwood "Do you feel lucky"?

Dave

I generally do not like to fool around with used steering gears simply because it is a big job to change the gear and given there is no good way to determine its condition before installing it and I hate doing a job more that once, I bite the bullet for a good rebuilt. You might get lucky and find a pristine gear on Craig's List but it is probably more likely you will get screwed. Your call. In the famous works of Clint Eastwood "Do you feel lucky"?

Dave
I've just ordered the suspension kit so the budget has to recover... Rockauto has rebuilt for 88 bucks...and AC Delco rebuilt for 117.00 so that's probably what I will do...just have to wait BTW, have you ever ordered from them? I don't see on their site how they handle core charges so I will assume a 45 dollar core that costs 22 to ship... I might as well add another 22 bucks to the price..lol Thanks Dave

I've just ordered the suspension kit so the budget has to recover... Rockauto has rebuilt for 88 bucks...and AC Delco rebuilt for 117.00 so that's probably what I will do...just have to wait BTW, have you ever ordered from them? I don't see on their site how they handle core charges so I will assume a 45 dollar core that costs 22 to ship... I might as well add another 22 bucks to the price..lol Thanks Dave

Rock auto is generally a reputable supplier, the cheaper unit is a Cardone rebuilt so go with the A/C Delco rebuilt.

Dave

As with any reman part purchase, the seller will include the core charge for the item you're ordering into the price of what you initially pay. Then when they receive the core from you, after you receive the reman part from them, they'll issue credit in some manner. Same whether it's a local supplier or one somewhere else.

Be sure to make a note of the warranty coverage should anything go wrong. Usually, though, if anything's going to happen, I suspect it'll be at or soon after installation, typically. Be sure, also, to use the correct fluid in the unit, as they specify.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Back