Power steering leak, any suggestions

Reaction score
Been trying to solve this power steering fluid leak for awhile, it's on the fluid return hose,, I've changed hoses, clamps, cleaned off nipple, still drips pretty good. Still leaks. I was wondering if there us some kind of gasket between this aluminum nipple and steering box. Also what's going to shoot out of there besides the fluid? I see a spring and roll pin right at the top, easy to remove, is there anything behind the aluminum nipple once I unbolt it that may come our? Thanks in advance

20230731_155011.jpg

First thing, get some genuine power steering return line for the car! Then head to the GM dealer parts dept and ask them for some power steering fluid for an older car (which should be opaque clear fluid). Then, after you drain the pump's fluid reservoir, refill with the new, clear fluid. That is the easiest way to deal with sudden, recurring, hard to stop power steering seeps, from my experiences over the years. Additionally, most fluid seeps (hoses, etc.) stop when the correct fluid is in the system. By observation, GM and Chrysler have spec'd power steering fluid for their systems since the earlier 1960s (GM started in 1961, I believe). Yet the "service industry" stated that to "top off", you could use normal ATF, but if you have a lead and the system is continually topped-off with ATF, suddenly you have a system full of ATF, which the rubber in the system was not designed to work with, for any length of time.

NOW, behind that little nipple is the "centering adjustment" for the steering gear. Might seem like a minor deal, but if that nipple is removed (to replace the seals behind it), THEN you have to go through the procedure to re-set the adjustment, which can be time-consuming. Read the FSM for that information.

Change the hose, clean the area of the nipple where the hose attaches. slide the new hose onto the nipple. Notice where the bulge for the end of the nipple is. Place the hose clamp just in front of it by about 1/32" or so, tighten the clamp carefully. Refill the pump with the correct fluid and check for leaks. Might need to empty the reservoir a few times to get bulk of the red fluid out of the system.

See how that goes,
CBODY67

Thanks, I'll give that a try, I'm using prestone fluid for now, till I can stop the leak, then I'll get correct type of fluid. From what you're saying if I take the nipple housing off, I'm asking for trouble I guess. I cleaned and de-burred the nipple yesterday. I will relocate clamp and see what happens. My street was just paved, and I'm making a huge mess out there, thanks for tips

You should really be using a spring type clamp on the return hose. The fuel line clamps you are currently using do not flex with changes in pressure and will eventually cause the hose to be cut and fail.

Dave

Just cleaned it up and ran it at idle, in park. As you can see from picture, it's weeping out behind the bolt, between the flange and housing. What do we have in between O rings? Gasket?.
20230731_181024.jpg

2 o-rings behind that bolt on aluminum housing.

the steel housing with the 2 bolts facing straight up are the ones to adjust the steering centering. Leave this alone for now.

napa sells power steering fluid That’s fine for old cara.

2 o-rings behind that bolt on aluminum housing.

the steel housing with the 2 bolts facing straight up are the ones to adjust the steering centering. Leave this alone for now.

napa sells power steering fluid That’s fine for old cara.
what he said, the o rings are probably leaking and need replaced

Got it apart, 0 rings look kinda flat, are they supposed to be round? Also picture of the order springs and valve came out of housing, does it look correct? Thanks all

20230801_144833.jpg

20230801_144813.jpg

Edelmann 8518 should be the seals for that piece (and the one you're better off not touching)...rockauto, ebay, amazon...seals a couple bucks shipping probably lots more

Thanks, I'll take a look at those places, right about shipping, could just put them in a first class envelope for price of a stamp

Thanks for the kit number, 0 rings stopped the leak, took it for a long ride, stayed nice and dry. Then I had a blast of hot oil hit my leg, damn oil pressure line came off the gauge. At least that was a easy fix

Back