1972 polara not enough clearance for steering tag coupler

72polarbear

Reaction score
Trying to install the steering rag joint coupler but I don’t have enough clearance. When I bought the car it had a universal unit installed and bolted the wheel to the power steering directly but I want to finally get the steering wheel straight but I can’t get the new coupler to fit. I already loosened any bolts that hold the steering wheel for as much play as possible.

06686E39-6ECC-46E2-9DDB-82976DB00E73.jpeg

3C191A41-D4EE-4843-B811-84C9BABEBCAF.jpeg

9529952F-0781-4517-A649-7F27F58E0D53.jpeg

You should be able to slide the stub down into the coupler and loosen the column enough to have plenty of room. There are 3 nuts on studs holding the column up under the dash and 2 bolts holding the bottom column flange to the floor. The holes for the studs are slotted, so there may be enough to just loosen it.

That said, I think the easiest way is to knock the split pin out of the coupler where it attaches to the steering box, undo the bolts and studs I mention above and unplug the harness... and then just pull the column out and assemble it. That's how I've done it.

What @Big_John said, PLUS, unless the extra thinner rubber piece is the "universal" one you refer to, that extra donut of rubber is NOT required, as far as I know.

Check that the lower shaft is pushed into the pot metal rectangular box as far as it can go - it may take a gentle tap with a rubber mallet to get it to go in. It is designed to slide in and out of that pot metal box to allow for some movement and adjustment. As well, as @Big_John described, the entire steering column and wheel is held to the bottom of the dash with a bracket - there is some adjustibility there.

Do NOT push or pry up on the lower stub coming out of the column - you can damage the lower column bearing. Loosen the column under the dash and pull the column UP from the wheel.

Don't forget that your horn grounds through that column connector, so there should be a wire or spring going from an upper bolt to a lower bolt. Otherwise, no horn circuit.

What @Big_John said, PLUS, unless the extra thinner rubber piece is the "universal" one you refer to, that extra donut of rubber is NOT required, as far as I know.

Check that the lower shaft is pushed into the pot metal rectangular box as far as it can go - it may take a gentle tap with a rubber mallet to get it to go in. It is designed to slide in and out of that pot metal box to allow for some movement and adjustment. As well, as @Big_John described, the entire steering column and wheel is held to the bottom of the dash with a bracket - there is some adjustibility there.

Do NOT push or pry up on the lower stub coming out of the column - you can damage the lower column bearing. Loosen the column under the dash and pull the column UP from the wheel.

Don't forget that your horn grounds through that column connector, so there should be a wire or spring going from an upper bolt to a lower bolt. Otherwise, no horn circuit.
So should I just stick to the universal
You should be able to slide the stub down into the coupler and loosen the column enough to have plenty of room. There are 3 nuts on studs holding the column up under the dash and 2 bolts holding the bottom column flange to the floor. The holes for the studs are slotted, so there may be enough to just loosen it.

That said, I think the easiest way is to knock the split pin out of the coupler where it attaches to the steering box, undo the bolts and studs I mention above and unplug the harness... and then just pull the column out and assemble it. That's how I've done it.
ice

I’ve loosened the column as much *** possible and still no where near enough, the coupler also as low as it can go into the box. I really don’t want to disassemble the steering column is there some thing that maybe I’m missing?

The universal is not really the best option in my opinion, as it doesn't have the rigidity of the factory coupler.

Something is amiss. Could the column have been swapped out at some point?

Regardless, the difference looks small, so things should be able to be made to work.

Try this:

1) Undo the 3 bolts that hold the sheet metal bracket for the bottom of the column from the floor (by the pedals). That may permit the column to move a bit more. Slide up the bracket out of the way. Do not remove it off the column.

2) Support the steering column by putting something on the front seat that holds up the steering wheel, and remove the collar bracket that holds the column to the dash in its entirety.

3) With the floor bracket undone and the column support collar removed, you could essentially remove the column entirely by sliding it upwards into the passenger compartment. Therefore, slide it up just enough to assemble the coupler in the engine bay. Keep the column supported by the wheel, and reconnect the dash collar. Perhaps the dash collar was upside down - it will have a locating tab on it that indexes into a slot in the column. If it was upside down, that tab may have indexed at the wrong end of the slot, and therefore may have prevented enough upward movement of the column to give you the space needed to install the coupler.

Once the collar is on, then slide the floor bracket back down the column to the floor and reinstall the bolts.

Do NOT push or pry up on the lower stub coming out of the column
i do not know about this column. on any modern column, the lower shaft telescopes as a safety feature. they don't slide easily. my first instinct would have been to try the opposite and attempt to retract a "lower stub". have to check the book to see if that's the case here.

I’ve loosened the column as much *** possible and still no where near enough, the coupler also as low as it can go into the box. I really don’t want to disassemble the steering column is there some thing that maybe I’m missing?

Let's go back to your other thread. See the coupler? That HAS to be repaired. It should slide in. (see red arrow). The way it sits right now, it looks like it's coming apart and needs to be repaired/reassembled.

The car is not safe to drive until your repair it AND I think that will solve your problem by letting the stub slide into the coupler. It's very easy to tale off. Just knock out the split pin (circled) and pull it off the steering box. Since there's a red gasket on the coupler, and not the original black, I'd say it's been apart and not assembled correctly.

This thread will help. Steering Coupler Rebuild "How To"

Untitled.jpg

This is the way it should look (thanks @Trace 300 Hurst for the pic) and you really need to attach this clip when done. Mopar A B E Body 66-73 Dodge Plymouth 3" STAINLESS Steering Column Coupler Cover Clamp / Retainer The clip is one of the better ten bucks you'll spend on your car. It is the factory's "cure" for these coming apart.

img_0970-jpg.jpg

Back