1972 Polara Texas Highway Patrol

Rubber Closeout panels

I've never seen those rubber pieces before, will the original ones clean up or will you have to replace them? As far as the melt down goes it's unfortunate but pretty common with old police cars, hopefully everything under the dash is o.k. Finding the service decal is pretty cool, you'll have to call them and see if you can find anybody who worked there back in the day. Keep the updates coming, this is great stuff. PS. Does your car have a handle under the dash for the fast idle lock?
I have a paper somewhere that is an instruction to install these at Dealer level I think for ADDITIONAL COOLING vehicles as soon as I find it it will try to post it, like a field modificationin the ARMY Good Job Guys

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/TSBs/1972/24-08-72d p18.jpg
this is the link for the TSB 24-08-72d modification there was also one for Monaco and Charger I hope I got the address right

73satwagon and CBODY67, you guys are awesome! I was able to yield parts numbers for all of the cooling-related oddities on my car from this TSB.

Baffle Kit, TIC Valve, and the extra A/C relay with wiring - all of which were on my car, and none of which were in the Service Manual or Parts book (that I could find, anyway)

I am still waiting to pick up my car from blasting and priming - in the mean time I did order the above items, NOS.

The Baffle Kit arrived today. For those interested, here are unboxing photos of its contents. I also included a picture of one of my existing baffles (super brittle) compared to the pattern that came with the kit. Only a few corners were rotted of of mine, otherwise it was complete.

Kit came with new masticated rubber sheets, plastic holding clips, patterns and instructions.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

73satwagon and CBODY67, you guys are awesome! I was able to yield parts numbers for all of the cooling-related oddities on my car from this TSB.

Baffle Kit, TIC Valve, and the extra A/C relay with wiring - all of which were on my car, and none of which were in the Service Manual or Parts book (that I could find, anyway)

I am still waiting to pick up my car from blasting and priming - in the mean time I did order the above items, NOS.

The Baffle Kit arrived today. For those interested, here are unboxing photos of its contents. I also included a picture of one of my existing baffles (super brittle) compared to the pattern that came with the kit. Only a few corners were rotted of of mine, otherwise it was complete.

Kit came with new masticated rubber sheets, plastic holding clips, patterns and instructions.

View attachment 33746View attachment 33747View attachment 33748View attachment 33749View attachment 33750View attachment 33751View attachment 33752View attachment 33753

Just read this whole thread. GREAT JOB !!!!!!!!

Hope you'll be able to post those templates. Every cop car restorer is going to benefit greatly from that info. Or, better yet, source yourself some of that .090" mastic and start selling your own kits!

Also pleased to see that there were still Dodge Division TSBs in 1972. Did not realize they went that far. I now have a big gap in my TSB library to fill.

I'm going to need some new front disc brake rotors and calipers to finish off the front end rebuild.

Any Recommendations before I buy? Looking for a stock, correct product.

I'm going to need some new front disc brake rotors and calipers to finish off the front end rebuild.

Any Recommendations before I buy? Looking for a stock, correct product.

As far as I know original style ones do not exist. The replacements that are sold look different (but who sees them?).
The new one go over the integral hub not under like the originals (at least from what I have seen in the pictures).

Alan

Alright next question: lower control arms - were they painted or natural? I couldn't detect any paint on mine once I evapo-rusted them.

Alright next question: lower control arms - were they painted or natural? I couldn't detect any paint on mine once I evapo-rusted them.

Natural, some people are painting them gold. The gold is trying to emulate a cosmoline finish which is a jell like substance that was put on them to protect against rust.

Alan

Nice project progress. Do you have a good set of the front plastic valence pieces they used on those cars, or did the Police package use something more durable? 72s don't look too good without those being in place (and some don't think the 72s look good in any case, but I like them).

Natural, some people are painting them gold. The gold is trying to emulate a cosmoline finish which is a jell like substance that was put on them to protect against rust.

Alan

Cosmoline was a rust preventative goo that Chrysler invented for WWII. It would likely have only been used on parts that went to the Parts & Service warehouse and not used on parts that went directly to the assembly line. IIRC the LCAs were butt naked. I see guys who clearcoat them to protect them and preserve the "original" finish.

Long overdue update...Here's some shots from last weekend. Hit some snags along the way - I'm just going to quit projecting a completion date...Then maybe it'll actually get done!

Frame and firewall stripped, painted and front suspension waiting for re-assembly. Also currently rebuilding the a/c evaporator and heater core box with the kit from Detroit Muscle Tech. Holdup on that is searching for a good replacement evaporator. Unfortunately while I was taking the suction line hose off during the disassembly process, all the threads stripped off of it - and due to the general condition I'd prefer to find a nice replacement in lieu of having a new threaded end brazed on.

Waiting on my dash from Just Dashes. waiting on the upholstery guy to get to my seats. Sourced an NOS engine wiring harness (for engines w/ leece neville alternator, etc...) in excellent, pliable condition - picked up a few extra L/N voltage regulators as well.

Will try to keep updating on the progress more than I have.

Anyhow, here's the pics:

10848655_786939691373100_5065425727587036968_o.jpg10841932_786939678039768_8112682868669680759_o.jpg10842010_786939654706437_5846904020281735452_o.jpg10887527_786939978039738_864145603878587162_o.jpg

10841932_786939678039768_8112682868669680759_o.jpg

10842010_786939654706437_5846904020281735452_o.jpg

10848655_786939691373100_5065425727587036968_o.jpg

10887527_786939978039738_864145603878587162_o.jpg

I also considered just dashes

Can you post your dash when completed from them (after the 90 days it apparently takes them to complete

Are you happy with the outcome Alan?

Happy is a relative term.

I am happy I have a dash pad I can use. How's that for a non committal answer.

There are a couple small wrinkles, the area that bumps up by the defroster vents are not as sharp.

I haven't mounted it to the dash frame or fitted the AC vents yet.

I'd give it an 8.5-9

The problem is they are basically the only show in town and that is a big town. I check for others but they wouldn't do the stitching.

I thought I had a option but that didn't pan out.

Alan

Thanks for posting some updates, looks good. I'm also guilty of not updating progress as much as I should. I have the same car so I'm watching this (and Alan's) thread closely. My dash is due back tomorrow from just dashes I'll post some photo's.

This is one heck of an impressive restoration

You set the mark for the rest of us!!

I have a 72 Fury and will be attempting the suspension and engine upgrades you are demonstrating any pointers are really appreciated!!!

Back