1973 Bumperette/bumper guard removal

Boydsdodge

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't want to hurt the chrome during removal of the bumper guard/bumperette, so I stopped a what I thought was an easy job. Two nuts removed 1/2" and 3/4", gaurd/bumperette is loose but still contacting bumper. Am I missing something? Let me know so I don't scratch chrome doing something stupid.
Thanks.

Last edited:
So after a sit down with a Tequila, I had another look with my finger tips. My fingers tell me that there are push lock washers on the studs as a secondary retainer.
Bumper guards are still on.

Why I posted the question. No info in service manuals all three issues for 73. So much distain on here for the bumper guards, I thought it would be be good page and a half of replies.

Last edited:
I think I removed 8 sets of these bumperettes since 2017...some are in my Imperial parts storage...some went to next owners...the ones I have presently have no future to return to usage. Once you remove the 2 nuts you just have to carefully pry or wiggle the bumperette adhesion from the bumper...there is often a wasp nest or two to fall on your face.
20190616_072152.jpg
20190821_072644.jpg
20190821_072623.jpg

Nice collection. Thanks for info. I will get at it with some wood shims to pry against.
Thanks again.

Back