1973 Dodge Polara Spring Special

chry73luv

Reaction score
Since I am finally getting into the light resto of this car I have a lot of questions and will slowly tackle one by one over the next few months . Question about the black shag carpet. My car carpet is in good shape but the black has faded to dark gray over the years. I noticed a few years back on the Imperial Web page that a guy died his carpet . Looks like it came out nice Has anybody here actually done that? Since mine is in good shape I want to reuse it. Not really sure if I could get period correct reproduction carpet in shag style . Any thoughts?

Since I am finally getting into the light resto of this car I have a lot of questions and will slowly tackle one by one over the next few months . Question about the black shag carpet. My car carpet is in good shape but the black has faded to dark gray over the years. I noticed a few years back on the Imperial Web page that a guy died his carpet . Looks like it came out nice Has anybody here actually done that? Since mine is in good shape I want to reuse it. Not really sure if I could get period correct reproduction carpet in shag style . Any thoughts?
Guess should have said dyed his carpet and should shag be spelled shagg? I need some coffee

Dying carpet used to be a bigger deal in used car reconditioning that it got to be in the 1970s, after the carpets usually held up better than in earlier years.

"RIT"-brand fabric dyes used to be in most grocery stores, in the same general "soft goods" area as some sewing items. In the automotive reconditioning area, the dyes were usually liquid and added to water for application. Whereas the RIT dyes were powder. Usually applied to the clean carpet with a sponge, then let dry. Probably best done like paint, in thin coats until done.

NOT sure about durability of if it might rub off slowly if it might ever get damp again.

You might contact a larger used car dealer (or even one of the larger used car auctions) and see if they have a reconditioning contractor that does their used car clean-up and reconditioning. Or perhaps give you information with which to contact those services. Maybe you could watch them do the re-dye procedure to see if you want to do that or let them do it?

Happy Holidays!
CBODY67

Dying carpet used to be a bigger deal in used car reconditioning that it got to be in the 1970s, after the carpets usually held up better than in earlier years.

"RIT"-brand fabric dyes used to be in most grocery stores, in the same general "soft goods" area as some sewing items. In the automotive reconditioning area, the dyes were usually liquid and added to water for application. Whereas the RIT dyes were powder. Usually applied to the clean carpet with a sponge, then let dry. Probably best done like paint, in thin coats until done.

NOT sure about durability of if it might rub off slowly if it might ever get damp again.

You might contact a larger used car dealer (or even one of the larger used car auctions) and see if they have a reconditioning contractor that does their used car clean-up and reconditioning. Or perhaps give you information with which to contact those services. Maybe you could watch them do the re-dye procedure to see if you want to do that or let them do it?

Happy Holidays!
CBODY67
Thank you. Good idea and Happy Holidays as well

How to Spot Dye — Rit Dye

Out of curiosity I just looked it up. Rit recommends the above approach for carpet. However, the type of material of the carpet may present a challenge. Is it polyester?

From their FAQ:

Can I dye carpet?
We do not recommend dyeing carpet in your home. Carpet dyeing is best done by professionals who use equipment that can attain high temperatures and high pressure combined with special chemicals and surfactants needed to apply the dye. The problems you may face dyeing your carpet at home include uneven color and crocking, which means the dye will rub off because if it has not been applied with sufficient high pressure and heat. That said, if you have a small area that needs color, you could try our spot dyeing method. If this does not work to your satisfaction, however, you will need to contact carpet professionals as cited above and pay for them to try to fix the discoloration so only use this method if you’re willing to take that risk.

I guess I just give written replies instead of hitting one of the icons. No reason really.

The red X means disagree. . The other pretty colors are positive.
Thumbs up = like
Handshake = thanks
Check = agree.

Take that from the red X king.

HOW old are you?
I stopped at 14 as far as maturity... but sometimes in my heart I'm 21 and can still take on the world... and then there are times when the arthritis makes me feel like I'm over 100.

Chronologically, I'll be 69 years old tomorrow.

But never too old to be a Rick and Morty fan.

I’ve read you can use the SEM spray to recondition a carpet, but you have to do light coats and brush the carpet while doing it to keep it smooth. I plan to try it on one of my cars come spring.

Back