1973 Dodge Sundancer

Carmine

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Ok hope this doesn't disappoint because the story isn't nearly as good, and I had to "create" the photo. Basically turn the clock back to the late 90s and I'm going to the Standard Federal bank, located at Topher (8 1/2 mile) and Gratiot. In the parking lot I spot a very clean (not perfect, but clean) 1973 Polara. I walk over and start checking it out. Then I notice it's a sunroof car. Wow, that's not too common. Crazy 70s interior fabric.

What's with this weird badging? Sundancer? These are die-cast chrome with multicolor inserts, not some home made junk. The colors include a little purple and a lot of yellow/orange. It strikes me that they say SundanceR, not Sundance.... Which even back then I knew was a trim package on '74 Plymouth Satellites. An older black dude walks to the car and we start talking. He tells me he's a Chrysler retiree and that he bought the car "back in the day" from the same lot that disposed of the Mariner (which back then I knew nothing about) Of course he doesn't want to sell. :D

Back then, no cell phone cameras. All I could do was try to memorize the car. A few years later I saw the car at a gas station on 8 mile... Basically he was leaving as I approached (on foot). Never saw me. Last I ever heard/saw of the car.

Below is the best recreation I can come up with, correct colors and rims. I have a feeling Chrysler did 3 "theme" C-bodies for shows that year, the Mariner, the Aspen and the Sundancer. For whatever reason, I've never seen anything on the Dodge. It was the least-changed from stock, so perhaps not as photographed?

Polara Sundancer.jpg

Where did you come up with that image of the emblem?

I used the word-art function of "Word" to recreate it from memory. Basically I remember a fat, 70s style font, letters curved and colored like a sunset. Then I used the print screen function to drop it into the tan '73 Polara pic I found on Google. It's all from a 20+ y/o memory, so it is surely not exact.

I never thought to check period publications for the car, so that's a good idea. However, the only photos (beyond my own) I've ever seen of the Mariner or Aspen were republished Chrysler press releases. Unless someone has personal photos of the show, or perhaps an Auto Show program, I suspect there wasn't much coverage by journalists, especially of the Sundancer which wouldn't stand out in a small photo. As cool as we think they are, they are essentially warm-ups of models that had already been seen for a few years. Even the Chrysler Cordoba D'oro, and Concept 70x weren't widely photographed, and those were entirely different from any production car.

Here's something semi-related, and shows how you do see wired stuff running around the streets from time-to-time. I went to an estate sale in Roseville, MI (NE suburb) just of Little Mack rd., south of 13 mile. This car was parked on the street nearby. At first it caught my attention for just being a clean 1st gen M-body, circa 2010-ish.
SU1HMDAxNDAuanBn.jpg

Then I noticed the super-nice white leather interior:
SU1HMDAxNDMuanBn.jpg

then I saw the emblems and thought WTF?
SU1HMDAxNDQuanBn.jpg

My only guess is that some guy named LeFevre worked in the die-cast lab in Highland Park and decided to get creative on his lunch hour?

?!?!?!?

PicsArt_02-21-10.48.05.jpg
Here's something semi-related, and shows how you do see wired stuff running around the streets from time-to-time. I went to an estate sale in Roseville, MI (NE suburb) just of Little Mack rd., south of 13 mile. This car was parked on the street nearby. At first it caught my attention for just being a clean 1st gen M-body, circa 2010-ish.
SU1HMDAxNDAuanBn.jpg

Then I noticed the super-nice white leather interior:
SU1HMDAxNDMuanBn.jpg

then I saw the emblems and thought WTF?
SU1HMDAxNDQuanBn.jpg

My only guess is that some guy named LeFevre worked in the die-cast lab in Highland Park and decided to get creative on his lunch hour?

?!?!?!?

Last edited:
I'll take a wild guess and say a dealership got creative and put their emblem there.

Not out of the question, but we never had any dealer with that name around here. Most dealer tags have a city/address/phone because it's kind of a useless advertisement without those. With all the people working in the industry around here, the odds of it being a G-job are pretty high. You can go to a garage sale and find stuff like this being sold for the picture frames, rather than the art!
1193004629.jpg

Here's the "Sundance" package in '74 for the B-bodies. I wonder if they planned on putting it on the C-bodies as well but scrapped it.
satellite-sundance.jpg

Back