For Sale 1973 fury , 7200,-

Status
Not open for further replies.
how can the numbers be out of alignment when the discs with the numbers and the gears that turn them are rotating exactly the same as they did for the last 99999.9 miles?

If I remember correctly, back in the early 80's after the high insurance fraud days of the 60's & 70's on one of the early Sunday morning investigative talk shows on the subject with a Engineer from one of the big 3 and a State Police Auto Theft Task Force Officer is that the Engineer said that on initial assembly that there was something that kept the discs in perfect alignment from new and as the numbers spun around that this whatever would break/wear off and the numbers would never be in perfect alignment again. I've had many odometers apart both auto & motorcycles and I couldn't see any evidence to do this, but whatdoIknow.
It's been brought up many times over the years mostly by the Insurance Industry.
Heck it was so much as they were saying in the 60's on some cars people would drill a small hole in the dash/cluster and push back the numbers with a wire LOL. In my years I never saw anything like that, but ya never know, heh.

I won't go into all the ways of fraud, oh wait I lied here's one...
If anyone remembers driving through NYC on any of the Expressways or Parkways back in the 70 & 80's and seen the stripped out shells of vehicles on the side of the roadway. One time around dusk I passed a brand new late 70's Cadillac, big car, 2 door, Fleetwood? type, biggest of the big back then on the side of the BQE with the left front headlight stove'd in all the to the drivers door jam. Complete car, even had the LR wheel cover still on it, when I mentioned this to my friend I was visiting he told me "that's a fresh one" which I thought was a recent accident but no he informed that they buy fresh totaled wreaks from Jersey junk yards, re-title them in the state of New York and insure them fully then dump them by the side of the road and report the car stolen. BINGO! Insurance payout! Guaranteed to be stripped to a shell in 24hrs. A very efficient system he said.
The things they would get away with back before the paperless computer era. Now you know why titling a vehicle can be a pain these days.

Many other ways went on as cutting 2 wreaks in half and welding the good halves together, SMH.

Still doing it, go to YouTube and search for a CoPart Hellcat rebuild, from what I've learned is that if you have a little bang on the front end that sets off all the airbags (wheel, passenger, curtain, knee) plus if the seat belts go into accident tighten (which will need to be replaced to get a accident free code) is that just the cost of those new items will total the car by Insurance Industry standards now. laff.

HA HA! I guess I'm a little partial to 2 door posty's because I took my drivers test in one of these! (embarrassing) 'least it was a 3spd on'a the tree so I got the manual class right off.

View attachment 299330

I seem to remember as a yute that the rear window didn't roll all the way down because of the wheel well, odd I thought.
My sister had an identical Rambler way back when. She put it on its side one day with my nephew in the back about 1965 or so. What's really funny is he and I were just talking about it on Saturday.

00H0H_k2Md6iJDt60_600x450.jpg
00a0a_2c9JjGh3O9H_600x450.jpg
00p0p_bU1CprrXr2I_600x450.jpg
00j0j_4JaBiFh88Xg_600x450.jpg
00101_c9TRvJwImKq_600x450.jpg
00b0b_jylAdM9L7WA_600x450.jpg
00S0S_lejzelRIumL_600x450.jpg
00N0N_bPGGNrEYFWf_600x450.jpg
00303_5BVyThwYac7_600x450.jpg

Front seats, meh ..... dash cracked meh.... $5k hell yeah! After the tittie removal of course!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back