Status
Not open for further replies.

Dana Goetz

Reaction score
Contact seller
Not my car but a very nice '73 Imperial nonetheless:
CLassic Chrysler Car | Arts & Collectibles | Belleville | Kijiji
$_59.jpg

I've talked to the owner, they have an appraisal from the Antique & Classic Car Club of Canada but don't really know what to ask for it. I'm sure if someone went in with a FAIR price, they'd get it. I would hate to think anyone on the forum would try to steal it by lowballing.

If the owner accepts a low offer, is this now considered stealing? I thought that was how deals got made. Especially if the seller has an appraisal to reference.

Have all the black '73s gone to Canada?
So, did the owner mention what it was appraised at?, it's really annoying when there's no price advertised.

I'll take a stab at the possible price if it's pretty close to mint and really, really clean...This one may be worth paying 10-13K...black is very desirable to me. My 2 cents.

It would be nice to have a total of no less than 2 dozen photos inside and out to get a better idea.

They have added 15,xxx miles since the appraisal, it might be a few years old, and work to the buyers advantage. Something to think about if one is serious about purchasing. I like the black/blue color combo. More pictures would help.

If you are serious about selling a car, put a price on it, otherwise you're just fishing.

If you are serious about selling a car, put a price on it, otherwise you're just fishing.
Like saying 'make me an offer', hoping to get an impulsive buyer to pay more than market value, dishonest advertising.

Like saying 'make me an offer', hoping to get an impulsive buyer to pay more than market value, dishonest advertising.

Those are the worst, I won't even throw an offer. Who's to say what you're vehicle is worth? If the owner has a real number in mind, and it's not close to what you value it at. We play the insult game, a no win situation. No thanks!

Here does it say that? This is all the text there is for the ad.

Description
1973 Chrysler Imperial Le Baron, show condition. 440- 8 cylinder. Odomotor, 71,542 Only driven in summer months All original

At the top it simply states

CLassic Chrysler Car
Please Contact

Yeah,they need a price, otherwise smart asses like me call and offer $1500 US. I mean, it's just an old car, right?

"Valued at $x,xxx in 1999" or something like that might help, a full picture of the appraisal would be nice too.

Those are the worst, I won't even throw an offer. Who's to say what you're vehicle is worth? If the owner has a real number in mind, and it's not close to what you value it at. We play the insult game, a no win situation. No thanks!
Like I said above, I'll throw an insulting (maybe) offer and see how they respond, then point out they didn't have a price so that's why I started low. It usually gets them to say what they want, and even gets them down to the lowest they will go, right away, no BS'ing about this and that, bottom line, what is it? It saves me and them the hassle of dancing around trying to be polite and not step in their toes.

Sidenote, if I tell them I'm not going to buy the car, but I am getting information for those who might be interested, I get way more information and a lower price than if I was trying to buy. Strange how that works, but they usually are more helpful and honest about what they are selling.

Here does it say that? This is all the text there is for the ad.

Description
1973 Chrysler Imperial Le Baron, show condition. 440- 8 cylinder. Odomotor, 71,542 Only driven in summer months All original

At the top it simply states

CLassic Chrysler Car
Please Contact

Yeah,they need a price, otherwise smart asses like me call and offer $1500 US. I mean, it's just an old car, right?

"Valued at $x,xxx in 1999" or something like that might help, a full picture of the appraisal would be nice too.
I was making a point, no price or 'not sure what to ask for it' really means the seller is hoping to sell it for as much $ as they can get, unless the car is part of a deceased estate and the seller doesn't have a clue about the value. In this case, however, they have a valuation to go by. I agree with making a fair offer, low-balling just means you're not serious. Putting a price in the ad stops all the 'how much is it?' emails, and one cannot make a fair judgement on condition/value with only a few photos and a short description.

low-balling just means you're not serious.
I get what you mean, I was taking you a bit too literally.

But I disagree that making a low-ball offer doesnt mean you're serious. It also makes a point, that without a price, you can start anywhere you please. And sometimes if you make a low offer, you can be surprised by how low some people will sell a car. I try not to let emotion interfere with the price of a car, it will let you spend more than necessary in my opinion. To me, it's any sellers fault if they don't include a price. And I've asked sellers if they really are asking for the amount, if I think it's way too high, it's the opposite end of the spectrum, for seeing what they can get. Doesn't matter, as I'm not buying this one, or any Imperials anytime soon, I sold my '64 Crown Coupe years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back