1973 Imperial Air cleaner, exhaust manifolds.

Boydsdodge

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Did 72/73 Imperials ever come with dual snorkel air cleaners and or HP manifolds?
Also was dual exhaust ever an option?

But, If I went in to order a new Imperial and said I want duals, the Dealer might have been cool with ordering the C-body duals and making me a happy customer along with the dual snorkel air cleaner of the cop car in the back lot.

But, If I went in to order a new Imperial and said I want duals, the Dealer might have been cool with ordering the C-body duals and making me a happy customer along with the dual snorkel air cleaner of the cop car in the back lot.

Any modification that used existing production parts is a possibility, especially if the person ordering the car had connections to a municipality that ordered their cars from the same dealer. For example a police officer or fire personnel.

Jeff

Seems like there was a "440 Dual" option in the '67-'68 model years of Imperial? Dual exhausts but not sure abou the air cleaner being different. Have to look at www.hamtramck-historical.com Otherwise, the last year for factory dual exhaust was 1966, as I recall. From 1969 forward, emphasis was on smooth performance and cleaner air, so no HO options.

Remember that '67-'73 Imperials had 127" wheelbases rather than the normal Chrysler wheelbase of 124". "Formal" Imperials shared the 124" wheelbase with Chryslers.

CBODY67

440 Dual (Dual snorkels and exhaust on a K Code 440) was 68 only...good for 360 hp apparently.

All Fusey and Formal Imperials were single exhaust from the factory.

The D body Imperial verts came with duals as standard equipment as I recall.

I can concur with the '68 Imperial having the factory option for the dual snorkel air cleaner and dual exhaust. Mine has these options, and it is reflected in the fender tag and the window sticker...

Remember that '67-'73 Imperials had 127" wheelbases rather than the normal Chrysler wheelbase of 124". "Formal" Imperials shared the 124" wheelbase with Chryslers.

CBODY67

Although the Imperials have a longer wheelbase, the engine is in the same location in relation to the body as the 124" Chryslers. The front suspension on the Imperials is 3 inches further forward measured off the engine. Therefore the difference in wheelbase has no effect on the exhaust system and both Chryslers and Imperials share the same exhaust parts.

Jeff

I can concur with the '68 Imperial having the factory option for the dual snorkel air cleaner and dual exhaust. Mine has these options, and it is reflected in the fender tag and the window sticker...
Could you show us the window sticker and fender tag so we can see how they posted this info? Thanks.

Could you show us the window sticker and fender tag so we can see how they posted this info? Thanks.

Note the "390" code: 440 DUAL (dual snorkel & dual exhaust)

Window_Sticker.jpg
VIN_Tag.jpg
DS_Engine.jpg

Thanks for posting. Are those the regular log type exhaust manifolds? I cannot tell for sure in the photo.

Pretty cool it does not have 2.76 rear end gears.

Thanks for posting. Are those the regular log type exhaust manifolds? I cannot tell for sure in the photo.

Pretty cool it does not have 2.76 rear end gears.
All Imps had 2.94 standard.

The "D"-body ('64-'66) Imperial convertibles were the only models that had dual exhaust as standard equipment. Imperial coupes and hardtops from at least 1964 and newer were all available only with single exhaust; unless the buyer had some pull, as evidenced by the window sticker above!.

The 1973 Imperial four door hardtop I had was a single-exhaust car. Putting duals on that was a serious PITA, as there was no routing available from the factory; so the routing of the new 2-1/2" set of pipes and the muffler placement proved to be difficult. My muffler guy did a screamin' good job of the installation (this was back in 1997 or so), and the car sounded fantastic. A very low rumble at idle, and a near-perfect tone at 70 mph. Of course, all the sound insulation an Imperial has, helps, too!

The "D"-body ('64-'66) Imperial convertibles were the only models that had dual exhaust as standard equipment. Imperial coupes and hardtops from at least 1964 and newer were all available only with single exhaust; unless the buyer had some pull, as evidenced by the window sticker above!.

The 1973 Imperial four door hardtop I had was a single-exhaust car. Putting duals on that was a serious PITA, as there was no routing available from the factory; so the routing of the new 2-1/2" set of pipes and the muffler placement proved to be difficult. My muffler guy did a screamin' good job of the installation (this was back in 1997 or so), and the car sounded fantastic. A very low rumble at idle, and a near-perfect tone at 70 mph. Of course, all the sound insulation an Imperial has, helps, too!
Except ‘68 Patrick. They squeezed in 1 year that you could order a “dual” package as evidenced above.

Back