1973 Monaco gets a small 450 stroker.

DANG!!!, You have GOT to post that dyno sheet!!
Here is a link to the engine running on Comp Cams dyno and a later link with a different cam where it made the 786.9 HP on a dyno in Idaho Falls before we obtained our own dyno.

2009 Amsoil/Mopar Muscle Engine Challenge LaRoy Engines & ProMax Performance - Mopar Muscle Magazine

451ci with 500+ torque from 3500 rpm to 7000+ rpm

Oh yeah, that engine is now detuned to 580HP and is in the shop truck you can see in the background of one of the pictures at the beginning of this thread.

Ouch! You make some good points.......however........

I think I will continue to have my fun, uh, dick around a little more.

As we have purposely made the hold down clamps too wide, we now cut them down one at a time to center them over the valve tip on the other axis. here they are off center...........
View attachment 446184

And after taking them to the vertical mill we are now centered over the tip. But we need a spacer between them.......View attachment 446185

I keep a selection of wide steel spacers .125"-.700" and hundreds of hard steel shim spacer in .015"-.060". In years past the best quality shims I purchased were from Hughes Engines. We used a .015" steel shim between the hold downs and the rockers and then turned down, on the lathe, a .660" or .700" spacer until we had .015"-020" total clearance between the pair of rockers. View attachment 446186

Then each pair of rockers, shims and spacers is bagged and marked as to which cylinder head (#1) and cylinder (#1) it was prepared for. The hold downs are etched for each pedestal, then the lower pedestal spacers, bolts and studs are bagged along with the hold down clamps together for the corresponding cylinder head.View attachment 446187

So now...........
Come on, let me have my fun. This poor little 450 surely won't make as much power as our normally aspirated, single 4-bbl, 91 octane, solid roller cammed, Edelbrock RPM headed, 451 stroker that made 787 HP, but it is what I want to build this time.

And a lot of these parts are laying around the shop so's I don't have to buy things like cranks and such.

We found that Cummins N14 valve spring shims were identical to "race brand" rocker shims at a fraction of the cost. They are available in a wide range of thicknesses.

Kevin

So when I get my solid flat tappet cam I'm going to use in this little stroker, I can just pull it outta the box, clean it up, lube it good, push it into the cam tunnel, and drop the lifters on it......right? Uh wrong.

You need to inspect that new cam for flaws that will ruin your day.

Look at this new OOTB cam and how the casting flash is out beyond the base lobe width. This flashing tit might be above the lobe surface and cause lifter damage and ruin the cam itself. I've had to return two cams in the past because of this problem.
400-450 cam 001.JPG

So we do put the cam in the block, but we install a test lifter and using the dial indicator we test all the lobes for an abnormal bump on the gauge indicating a flaw like casting flash that wasn't removed or hasn't been ground with the lobe at least as wide as the lifter. In the case of this cam we were good to go.............
400-450 cam 007.JPG

$100 timing chain and sprockets........out of the box, clean 'em up, squirt oil on the chain and slap them on....NOT!
400-450 cam 003.JPG

This cam sprocket has burrs and proud metal between the rows of teeth that would have been rubbed off by the chain and spred through the engine. Out come the fine files, brass jaws for the bench vise and we carefully remove the burrs without deforming the sprocket teeth.
400-450 cam 006.JPG

And the roller timing chain gets soaked in a bath of break-in oil overnight. Stirring the chain in the bath every once in a while helps get the oil throughout the chain components. I didn't do this once and had a chain gall and stiffen after a few dyno runs. Just dumb luck saved me a wad of lost dollars and had me pull the timing cover and discover the destroyed chain before anything else was hurt.
400-450 cam 005.JPG