1973 Monaco gets a small 450 stroker.

heyoldguy

Reaction score
Found ourselves building a 450 stroker for our 1973 Dodge Charger.......but switched gears and decided to pull the Monaco out of the weeds.

Currently it has a 400 2bbl. We'll remove that and put it in the corner, take another 400 out of the bone pile and start the stroker.....It's still a work in progress but here are some highlights so far......
Monaco 001.JPG

Find an old 440 forged crankshaft and turn the counter weights down .120" in radius to clear the 400 block and then send it to the machine shop to have the mains cut to 400 size.....
400-450 002.JPG

Save the stock rods and have them reconditioned with ARP bolts and replace the stock pistons with KB251 quench dome pistons............
400-450 008.JPG

The 346 heads we are starting with will need a little work..........
400-450 010.JPG

And some new 2.20/1.84 stainless steel valves
400-450 006.JPG

The block has been square decked, bored and honed for the new pistons...........
400-450 001.JPG

A light mill of .010" to clean the heads up, new bronze guides, ported and the combustion chamber flats all machined to .110" deep.
400-450 008.JPG

Last edited:
73 Monacos are one of my favorite automobiles - great choice.

I would like to see this one when done, hopefully the body will get refreshed as well.

Best wishes.

Nice one mate, You mentioned cutting the crank .120, where did that put you diameter wise and do you know how much clearance do you actually have to the block? 7.250 gets mentioned a lot but im interested to see where that gets you clearance wise

Asking as I have to do the same and are looking to keep as much outer diameter as possible so I can under cut the bobs to balance - mines getting offset ground to 3.9, a new unit would be nice, but I have the crank and getting a nice crank sent to OZ is -very- expensive

I have a bit of work to do on a lot of other things before I get to my crank, but its good to think on things before doing them

Nice one mate, You mentioned cutting the crank .120, where did that put you diameter wise and do you know how much clearance do you actually have to the block? 7.250 gets mentioned a lot but im interested to see where that gets you clearance wise

Asking as I have to do the same and are looking to keep as much outer diameter as possible so I can under cut the bobs to balance - mines getting offset ground to 3.9, a new unit would be nice, but I have the crank and getting a nice crank sent to OZ is -very- expensive

I have a bit of work to do on a lot of other things before I get to my crank, but its good to think on things before doing them
When I checked this time I found .050" clearance to the block in these areas in cylinders 4 & 8. With a previous build the crankshaft still hit there even after cutting the counterweights exactly the same amount and I had to grind the block for clearance.
400-450 crnk clearance 005.JPG
400-450 crnk clearance 006.JPG

When I checked this time I found .050" clearance to the block in these areas in cylinders 4 & 8. With a previous build the crankshaft still hit there even after cutting the counterweights exactly the same amount and I had to grind the block for clearance.
View attachment 445052 View attachment 445053
I was going to mention this too. For my 451 stroker build, the counterweight edges were chamfered for clearance, not modifying the block. And I'm pretty sure the counterweights on my crank didn't have to be turned down for clearance except for the chamfering along one edge.

After Performance Machine in Idaho Falls, Idaho decked the block and ground the crankshaft for me I checked crankshaft run out and the dial indicator never moved off zero.
400-450 crank measurements 004.JPG

I checked all deck heights with one rod and one piston and found everything to be within .001" i.e. .015"-.016"
400-450 crank measurements 006.JPG

We're hidden away in this mountain valley 2-1/2 hours from the automotive machine shop in Idaho Falls so we need to do as much as we're able. As the quench dome on the KB251 pistons is .260" tall they will smash into the cylinder head unless they are milled down some.
400-450 Q pads 002.JPG

Never having done this before we needed to make some things to get going...like a soft base to set the pistons skirts on.
400-450 Q pads 003.JPG

Then we needed some way to hold the pistons securely to the 6061 aluminum square bar while cutting the dome so we used a 3/4" cold rolled round steel bar to slide through the piston pin..........
400-450 Q pads 005.JPG

And used that to clamp the piston to the mill bench. We carefully tightened each clamp enough to hold the piston during the milling process yet not so tight to deform the piston skirt. Using the dial indicator we had to tighten each lamp from side to side so that the piston crown was parallel to the bench. The indicator is behind the dome on the piston crown......
400-450 Q pads 008.JPG

We measured each rod for it's length and cut each quench dome so that they were .110" above the deck surface. With the head depth at .110" also, the quench would be whatever gasket thickness we use. In this case it's the FelPro 8519PT1 so we'll have .039"..............
400-450 Q pads 009.JPG

Somehow this picture ended up out of sequence and I'm not smart enough to sort it back out.
400-450 Q pads 002.JPG

We're going to use a solid flat tappet camshaft in the build so we needed to come up with an adjustable rocker arm setup. Being economical when possible we went to the shelf to see what was available and came up with these three sets. The top is a very early set from the late 1950's or early 1960's. Middle is a set of 440 Source Rockers and the bottom is a set of Crane Gold Race rocker arms from 10-12 years ago.

Figure we'll use the Crane rockers. But as the Crane's have such poor rocker arm geometry on the 346 heads we must make a relocation kit to move the rocker shaft up and away from the valve tip.
400-450 rocker arms 002.JPG

Those ones at the top... Are they like regular stamped rockers with the pushrod cup drilled and tapped for the adjuster? Are they thicker than regular stamped rockers in that area?

Why did you decide to not use the (Chinesium?) 440 Source rockers?

Those ones at the top... Are they like regular stamped rockers with the pushrod cup drilled and tapped for the adjuster? Are they thicker than regular stamped rockers in that area?

Why did you decide to not use the (Chinesium?) 440 Source rockers?

Those top ones look home made. The only factory adjustable rockers I've ever seen were ductile iron.

Kevin

Mike Beachel at B3 Racing Engines is the guy to get your valvetrain geometry sorted out.

He sells custom spacer kits that will move the shaft up and away the correct amount specific to your combo based on measurements from your engine.

Good guy to talk to and he has excellent tech on his website.

B3 Racing Engines LLC - Performance Engine Building and Mopar Valvetrains

Kevin

Mike Beachel at B3 Racing Engines is the guy to get your valvetrain geometry sorted out.

He sells custom spacer kits that will move the shaft up and away the correct amount specific to your combo based on measurements from your engine.

Good guy to talk to and he has excellent tech on his website.

B3 Racing Engines LLC - Performance Engine Building and Mopar Valvetrains

Kevin
Yep, and even though we make our own correction kit in-house.......we do not make them for or sell them to the general public. For anyone with roller rocker arms I would encourage them to contact B3RE.

With our self-made kit we changed the pattern from an off-center .110" wide sweep to that shown in the 3rd photo.....

correction kit 002.JPG
correction kit 003.JPG

This is what the sweep pattern looks like for a .625" lift cam with this kit. It is about .035" wide.
correction kit 004.JPG

Last edited:
The earliest ones I have seen, other than these in my possession, were in a picture of a dragster running a 413 in the late 1950's. It is rumored that a few sets were made for factory supported race teams from back then. My father was on a team that ran stock bodied sedans for land speed record attempts at the Bonneville salt flats during the 1950's and 1960's. I believe he acquired them around that time. I'm pretty sure he used them on his 1959 Plymouth at Bonneville in 1959.

Those top ones look home made. The only factory adjustable rockers I've ever seen were ductile iron.

Kevin

They are stamped steel rockers that had a threaded bushing (probably shaped like a mushroom lifter) pressed up through the bottom of a hole drilled the rocker arm. There is no welding on the rocker.

I'm trying to remember if some of the early wedge powered Chrysler 300's had solid flat tappet cams and adjustable rockers. And if so, what did those rockers look like?

400-450 rockers 004.JPG

If all you want is 452 cubes a .060" over 440 gets you there with a lot less dicking around.

If you want to build a 400 block to hurl a C body around in a sporting manner, you add 108 cubes to it with a 4.25" stroke crank. By the time you subtract the machine shop bill to modify the 440 crank from the $750 that a new crank costs, it becomes the cheapest torque and horsepower you will ever buy.

Can 452 cubes make some steam? Of course but with some serious tradeoffs for driving 4500 lbs of Monaco around. If you are planning to approach 500 HP, 512 cubes can do it falling out of a tree with a combo your Grandmother could drive.

Kevin

If all you want is 452 cubes a .060" over 440 gets you there with a lot less dicking around.

If you want to build a 400 block to hurl a C body around in a sporting manner, you add 108 cubes to it with a 4.25" stroke crank. By the time you subtract the machine shop bill to modify the 440 crank from the $750 that a new crank costs, it becomes the cheapest torque and horsepower you will ever buy.

Can 452 cubes make some steam? Of course but with some serious tradeoffs for driving 4500 lbs of Monaco around. If you are planning to approach 500 HP, 512 cubes can do it falling out of a tree with a combo your Grandmother could drive.

Kevin

Ouch! You make some good points.......however........

I think I will continue to have my fun, uh, dick around a little more.

As we have purposely made the hold down clamps too wide, we now cut them down one at a time to center them over the valve tip on the other axis. Here they are off center...........
CL valve tip 001.JPG

And after taking them to the vertical mill we are now centered over the tip. But we need a spacer between them.......
CL valve tip 006.JPG

I keep a selection of wide steel spacers .125"-.700" and hundreds of hard steel shim spacer in .015"-.060". In years past the best quality shims I purchased were from Hughes Engines. We used a .015" steel shim between the hold downs and the rockers and then turned down, on the lathe, a .660" or .700" spacer until we had .015"-020" total clearance between the pair of rockers.
CL valve tip 007.JPG

Then each pair of rockers, shims and spacers is bagged and marked as to which cylinder head (#1) and cylinder (#1) it was prepared for. The hold downs are etched for each pedestal, then the lower pedestal spacers, bolts and studs are bagged along with the hold down clamps together for the corresponding cylinder head.
CL valve tip 010.JPG

So now...........
Come on, let me have my fun. This poor little 450 surely won't make as much power as our normally aspirated, single 4-bbl, 91 octane, solid roller cammed, Edelbrock RPM headed, 451 stroker that made 787 HP, but it is what I want to build this time.

And a lot of these parts are laying around the shop so's I don't have to buy things like cranks and such.

Last edited:
Ouch! You make some good points.......however........

I think I will continue to have my fun, uh, dick around a little more.

As we have purposely made the hold down clamps too wide, we now cut them down one at a time to center them over the valve tip on the other axis. here they are off center...........
View attachment 446184

And after taking them to the vertical mill we are now centered over the tip. But we need a spacer between them.......View attachment 446185

I keep a selection of wide steel spacers .125"-.700" and hundreds of hard steel shim spacer in .015"-.060". In years past the best quality shims I purchased were from Hughes Engines. We used a .015" steel shim between the hold downs and the rockers and then turned down, on the lathe, a .660" or .700" spacer until we had .015"-020" total clearance between the pair of rockers. View attachment 446186

Then each pair of rockers, shims and spacers is bagged and marked as to which cylinder head (#1) and cylinder (#1) it was prepared for. The hold downs are etched for each pedestal, then the lower pedestal spacers, bolts and studs are bagged along with the hold down clamps together for the corresponding cylinder head.View attachment 446187

So now...........
Come on, let me have my fun. This poor little 450 surely won't make as much power as our normally aspirated, single 4-bbl, 91 octane, solid roller cammed, Edelbrock RPM headed, 451 stroker that made 787 HP, but it is what I want to build this time.

And a lot of these parts are laying around the shop so's I don't have to buy things like cranks and such.
DANG!!!, You have GOT to post that dyno sheet!!