1973 NewYorker Speedometer Cable

Cruise control or no cruise control?

Usually,
1. Remove the under steering column panel
2. Lie on the floor under the steering column and Reach up and detach the cable at the back of the speedometer.
3. Pull the cable and grommet through the firewall into the engine compartment
4. Detach the cable at the transmission
5. Replacement is the reverse of the process. The biggest pain is to reach up to detach and attach the cable at the back of the speedometer.
What problems are you having?

Usually,
2. Lie on the floor under the steering column and Reach up and detach the cable at the back of the speedometer.
5. Replacement is the reverse of the process. The biggest pain is to reach up to detach and attach the cable at the back of the speedometer.
Thanks for the response. I just got the car and haven't had a chance to take it for a good test drive yet. The previous owner said it would start ticking and the needle would start bouncing at 30MPH.

Thanks for the response. I just got the car and haven't had a chance to take it for a good test drive yet. The previous owner said it would start ticking and the needle would start bouncing at 30MPH.
Speedo cable is good place to start. They can be pulled out, greased and reinstalled in sheath/insulator. Might be the speedo itself, but let's hope not. Good luck.

Speedo cable is good place to start. They can be pulled out, greased and reinstalled in sheath/insulator. Might be the speedo itself, but let's hope not. Good luck.
Thanks, I'm working on a gas gage issue right now, next will be the speedometer cable.

Usually,
Might it be easier to first detach the cable at the trans, remove the speedometer from the dash and then detach cable from speedometer? Since access from underneath the dash is so bad?

Might it be easier to first detach the cable at the trans, remove the speedometer from the dash and then detach cable from speedometer? Since access from underneath the dash is so bad?
Hi Theo,
I think it's easier to contort yourself, detach the cable, and not take the dash part. Whatever works.

Hi Theo,
I think it's easier to contort yourself, detach the cable, and not take the dash part. Whatever works.
I was able to drop the steering column and remove the steering column mounting plate. That gave me enough room to access the speedometer cable. Thanks for your help.

Back