Dual rear antennas
Radio delete
Special order tag
Sitting since 1995
Broken windshield
I have not seen wagon in person myself.
Can’t speak of any rust?
Owner says not that bad?
If anybody’s interested and I will forward contact info.
It is rumored to be an undercover surveillance unit from NorCal.
A unusual wagon for sure.
$1600 firm

untitled_15.jpeg

untitled_14.jpeg

untitled_13.jpeg

untitled_12.jpeg

untitled_11.jpeg

untitled_10.jpeg

untitled_8.jpeg

untitled_3.jpeg

Resized_20230904_095607.jpeg

Resized_20230528_113520.jpeg

@amazinblue82 and @MrMoparCHP — do you see elements of police undercover here?

thanks for asking @ayilar.

first, a bit outta my element on wagons that were born with "fleet' equipment. my peripheral understanding is wagons "could be" fleet equipped as any other coupe or sedan on that platform.

but, i have never seen a, for example, an "E86" wagon (the pursuit-class 440), NOR a second-digit VIN as a "K".

Let me be clear .. I am NOT saying they didnt exist/weren't available on WAGONS, just saying I never saw one that i recall (had I, I would/tried to own it).

All that said, UN-doubtedly wagons did "fleet" service for "police", "fire", "military", and/or "livery" buyers. Exactly what "order codes" such buyers, therefore what wound up as "factory content", ordered under? I dunno.

I am not sure and therefore defer to the many, much more knowledgeable members here.

Last, in this car, other than speedo to nothing jumps out to me, outward appearance-wise, as "fleet". That speedo could have been added at anytime, OR, could be in the "A38" fleet option package content.

I'd like to learn more about this one, hopefully more hard part and/or paper documentation will show up here. Interesting sled.

1972 Fury Police Brochure.

For clues, apparently fleet buyers could trick-out a C -Wagon with virtually everything "fleet' that was available (as single options, or as part of option packages) on any other "police car"... except pursuit-class 440's (yellow highlight).

Dunno what "fleet" equipment a "surveillance" car needed vs. some other kinda "police" rig.

Anyway, 1973 MY may have been similar in their "fleet" option offerings. Or, likely in the the corresponding "Dodge" police brochure, "fleet" option availability mirrored the Plymouth's

source: 1972 Plymouth Police brochure

Screenshot_20231208-081141.png
1702042620669.png
Screenshot_20231208-081249.png
Screenshot_20231208-081349~2.png

Last edited:
Just spoke with owner.
Says footwells are OK
Firewall is OK
Under rear deck is rotten
Some rust on dash frame
rear bumper rusty
All Doors are stuck shut
Plug hole near rear wind deflector was for anntenna

I cannot determine whether this was a "fleet" car based on the "hard part" evidence.

Before I get jumped on by someone :poke:, I am ONLY saying I cannot DETERMINE, from my experience and what I see so far, what this car did in a past life.

Its entirely possible is did "fleet" duty... the speedo is definitely fleet, may have had a "full horn ring" steering wheel, I see what may be debris on the floor OR an "AC cutoff switch" (or more likely with "E57" a "fast idle switch" maybe) on lower dash slightly left of column, the placement of roof antenna plug, rubber floors, & radio delete, are fleet "clues".

FLW 99DX.png

"Special order" and "Y39" on fender tag many times show up on fleet cars, but does NOT necessary otherwise make them "fleet" cars. I don't see any other telltale codes (e.g., A38, non-engine related 'K's","F" codes, etc) on the tag that make me say "aha, yeah, fleet"'".

That said, sorry and broken record with a double negative, NONE of what I see means it was NOT used in "police" (or some other "overt/covert" enforcement duties) or "fleet" service in its life.

If there were more "paper" documentation on it (broadcast sheet, original title, fleet papers, etc) , that could help pin its past life down perhaps?

EOD, seems like seller is attempting to show it as it is/answer questions he knows. Bravo.

Anyone interested in it should investigate it to whatever degree satisfies their particular interest in its pedigree as well as, of course, its physical condition as it sits.

Cool rig no matter. Hope it finds a good home

Last edited:
The original poster's suggestion that this was an undercover "surveillance" vehicle is probably spot on. A full size wagon with a 360-2v isn't going to catch anybody with more than two wheels and some pedals. As for the certified speedo, if this car was used to tail a suspect, there may have been some merit in having the accurate speedo, for any subsequent court case.

Current owner is not an internet guy. He has asked me to help him find a home for wagon.
The story is he got it from a estate sale.

There were many other fleet trucks and vehicles there.
The estate used to buy auction fleet
Vehicles.
The liquidating estate wanted 1k per vehicle or they were going to crusher.
This is the only one saved.
The rest were crushed!!!!!
Inside drivers doors on crushed cars were county data stickers and tags from Mendocino County and Alameda County (Oakland). This tag/sticker is probably there? All doors are stuck shut!

He paid $100 for towing and only wants $1600 for his trouble. I have not seen car in person yet. There are No keys and colum is locked.
Clean title on NON OP.

Keep in mind that a fleet vehicle does not necessarily indicate police duty. The vehicle could have been purchased piggy-backed on a state bid, for use by any state/county/town government branch, from public health to DOT, to education dep't, to police or fire.

dunno what "A38" police package got, in every year, or for every model/brand in any given year, but generally the "certified" speedo came with that package (plus bigger brakes, big alternator, HP tires, anti-sway bars, fluid coolers, etc.,) .. so a lotta things on the "K" second digit VIN cars could be had on non-"K" cars (e.g., many police fleets got their bosses (captains, chiefs , detectives, etc.,) uplevel feature,/trim/interior "civilian" models but with with pursuit-class factory goodies).

sometimes "A38" is on the fender tag, sometimes not. IF ordered " it, it almost always was on the broadcast sheet.

sometimes (though i have never seen it) fleet guys could get just the "certified" speedo .. it may have had a singular option code?

201706041456581014.jpg

Chrysler-Badged Formal Police Cars

Last edited:
Back