1973 Town & Country radiator needed

carrman

Reaction score
Buddy of mine has a fully loaded '73 T&C. He is in need of a radiator, so I of course pushed him to Cold Case since I run one with great success. Well aparently eing his is a '73, both inlet and outlet are on the passnger side. Has anyone ever replaced one of these before? If so, with what? If you converted to the older style with inlet and outlet on oppsite sides, what parts did you use to do it?

Last edited:
To start with, a new water pump housing. Then a matching hose.

By 1973, if it is a 26" radiator and both are on the same side, I suspect that radiator is NOT original. I have not seen a same side 26" radiator in a mopar in that year. An easy solution is if the bottom hose is on the correct side as the C-body Cold Case unit, he could easily just change the waterneck and get a new upper hose. Cooling wise, it's much more efficient anyway.

Yup genuine Mopar for a 73 C body.

123_1.jpeg

I don't fully follow all the notes and drawings but I clearly see the core dimensions of 26"! That's why the term 'you can always learn something new' is a good one! I have never seen any AC car beyond 1965 where both the inlet and the outlet are on the same side. So unless there is an obstruction on the upper driver side, I would swap the inlet to a drivers side one and get a new hose.

Is there an original fan shroud? If I could see the shroud and maybe some hole dimensions, I should be able to confirm shroud fitment. For a 26" unit, we've not had issues with re-using the orig. fan shroud.

If interested in a special Member price rad, shoot me a PM.

73 for sure, here is a pic of mine.
But possibly started in 72

IMG_6111.jpeg

73 for sure, here is a pic of mine.
But possibly started in 72

View attachment 606963
Nice original looking engine compartment! Looks to me like they put the top hose over to the RH side to avoid the hose having to deal with the AC compressor. Not great for cooling but this was 50 years ago!

the shroud looks symmetrical and therefore should fit on a radiator with the LH upper hose position if you can clear the compressor.

Well I'm going to respectfully disagree despite being a very satisfied US Radiator dealer for 20 years.

Here's why: $1006 !!!!! for a copper/brass radiator! If originality is #1 priority, It's still a very close call because that US radiator doesn't have the mopar symbol or serial # info and it's still $1006 and you could be spending that again in 5 years!

Not sure what longevity issue spooked you on Cold Case but it sounds like it wasn't first hand.

Cold Case does have a full Lifetime warranty. So even if you had the hassle of a warranty replacement install over the next 15-20 years, you still come out way ahead and you have better cooling.

The ONLY reason you'd buy a copper brass radiator anymore is a) for originality b) because some are 'assembled' in the USA and you want to support American Manufacturing. (but that is a whole separate topic)

Cold Case has done a very fine job in supplying C body specific radiators. And given us a quality product for it. US Radiator has also, but at a greatly inflated price. Best price from them was $798 plus freight to Mississippi. My friend worked with Cold Case and got what he needed for a less than extortionary price.

If you're going to spend that much send your original radiator to Glen Ray in Wisconsin. It will probably cost you less than $1000

Back