Looking for a radiator - 22" 1965 Chrysler

D Cluley

Reaction score
My '65 has the correct radiator (2524 983) that may well be original. I had tank seam leaks repaired a couple of times 10-15 years ago, and the 2nd time, he put a lower pressure cap on suggesting that it wasn't going to hold up otherwise. The core is so old that some of the fins have literally fallen off, and it started leaking again this spring. I think it is just done, and want to put a new one in. I'm fine with aftermarket, as I don't care that much about what it looks like under the hood, and the budget this year has all gone into the front suspension. As that project is nearing completion, I figured I'd just order a radiator and pop it in next week, but am not finding anything that looks like it will work without some modification?

What I currently have is a 22", upper hose is center offset to the pass side 1.5", lower hose is drivers side 1.75 inch.

Having looked at Cold Case, Champion, ECP & a bunch of no-name Ebay stuff I am seeing close but not exact.

The C-body applications are all for later years & are 26" with the upper hose all the way over on the passenger side.

I see lots of 22" ones for A/B/E cars. They have center upper hose has the offset to the drivers side. That is a long enough, straight enough hose that I think that's ok. The problem is everything I have seen has a 1.5" lower hose rather than 1.75"

I do see that there are rubber bushings that will reduce a 1.75" hose to a 1.5" fitting. Any experience with those? or am I missing an application that will get me the radiator I need?

Dan
I picked up a three core from Murray Park (complete w/shroud) and had it re-cored. Not the cheapest solution, but no worries about fitment/hose placement.
Only 'tweak' was to add a overflow bottle and a pressure/vacuum cap.

Omni

My 67 300 had an original two-row core, 22" radiator that stopped cooling well. Had it recored about 30 years ago with a new four-row core. Radiator shop said they had to spread the lower tank a little wider, but everything fit and works great. Thirty years later it still doesn't leak and cools great. Maybe this is an option for you?

Hi Dan

I will check to see if I still have the original out of the 70. I think it is a 26 inch but I will check today.

John

Btw I think I got the all aluminum 3 row for about $180. I found it on eBay.

If your only finding 26 inch radiators another option would be to change the radiator support to a 26 inch opening.
I’ve done that swap before on 67 Plymouth from 22 inch 318 to
68 dodge 26 inch 383 radiator.
A easy swap with better cooling results.

I do see that there are rubber bushings that will reduce a 1.75" hose to a 1.5" fitting.
I have an early 70's A Body radiator in my '65 300L right now. Long story short... The original has a small hole and I used this until I figure out where to get it fixed.

I used one of these hoses for the bottom and a flex hose on the top. While I don't want to use this radiator long term, it's doing the job. If there is a rubber bushing available, I can't see how that would be bad.

nAdbEsw.jpg

I've looked at Cold Cases radiators and quite frankly, their web site sucks. I did find this... But I think the upper mounting holes might be off... Not sure. 68-73 B,C,E Body 16x22 Manual Aluminum Performance Radiator I also think they mean 1.75" lower inlet size, but who knows? The upper would probably work with the AC hose.

This link will show the difference in the optional cooling radiator. BTW, that's my car in the upper two pictures as the web site belongs to the previous owner. lcool

Crisis is averted. :)

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I suspect a recore of an original 22" or upgrade to a 26" would be best, and may happen in the future, but I got enough feedback here & elsewhere that my plan to go with a small block radiator & the hose reducer sounded feasable. So of course when I went to ebay literally the first result that came up was a big block one with the correct 1.75" outlet. No idea why I wasn't seeing it last night, but I ordered it right away.

@Big_John I'm making a note of the fact of that AC upper hose existing to work with later radiators, that might come in handy later.

@MONC440 I hope I'm set for now, but I would be interested in hearing what you have when you get a chance, thanks.

Figured I would post an update.

After a month and more than 1000 miles, the new radiator seems to be working fine. It ran a little hot at one point at the Woodward Cruise. 80 degree day, sitting in basically standstill traffic for half an hour and the hot light started flickering on and off. A couple of minutes of the heater on and bringing the RPMs up in neutral cleared that up. It is also possible that there was still some air in the system as I hadn't sorted out the coolant level completely yet. I figure that gets me a good baseline for what it will do, and if it becomes an issue I may look into a fan shroud.

22 radiator ebay.jpg

This is what I bought on ebay. It is marketed as a B body radiator. I put it and my old one back to back to compare. The overall size & shape matched as did the lower hose outlet, the transmission fittings and the upper mounting holes. I had to drill 2 holes for the lower bolts as the slots did not extend far enough up.

The upper hose was the only real issue. My original had a center inlet offset to the passenger side, so it lines up straight with the thermostat housing. The new one is offset to the drivers side. I tried the same hose, and it did work, but had more of a kink in it than I liked. This is a Dayco 70344.

70344 - for right offset, kinked on left offset b.jpg

I could not find a listing for a hose to fit this radiator with an RB engine, but did find the Gates 20370. This seems to be for small blocks which have the thermostat 3-4" farther back from the radiator. Cutting about 3" off each end of the 20370 got me a fit that I'm happy with.

20370 - maybe for small block left offset, works on big block - cut 3 off each end c.jpg
20370 - maybe for small block left offset, works on big block - cut 3 off each end d.jpg

Back