For Sale 1974 Gran Fury Brougham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeff, what’s her story? Newport? New Yorker? Red or Bronze? Do tell!

'76 Newport Custom sedan. Same colors as this Plymouth:

00x0x_dw732b1ryv2_1200x900-jpg.jpg

Sadly, the Newport is a member of the parted group of cars. I bought it out of a local junkyard for a couple hundred bucks with plans to fix it up, but it turned out to have too many strikes against it to save: no title, blown engine and blown trans, rust in every body panel except the hood and one door. I did fairly well finding homes for most of the major parts. The really nice seats are in a '74 Monaco in Chicago, the bumpers on a '75 NYB in up state PA, the complete header panel was sold at Carlisle to repair another Newport. The engine went to Maine, but I don't know if it ever was rebuilt. When we took the engine apart, one of the rods was laying in the oil pan, and it had banged up the block a bit when it came apart.

Jeff

bigmoparjeff: Any more pix's of that '78 NYB? What color is it and what's the rust situation?

bigmoparjeff: Any more pix's of that '78 NYB? What color is it and what's the rust situation?

The '78 NYB isn't all that pretty these days. My family has always been rough on cars, at least when it comes to appearance. The house we lived in from '75 to '95 had a one lane driveway that barely held three cars, so everything was always outside and often parked in the street. The NYB had a head start on deteriorating before we even bought it because it had been in an accident and the right side of the car is all plastic. The body shop repainted the entire car in lacquer, which of course started cracking about five years after it was done. The body work caused the right 1/4 to rust much worse than these cars usually do. I didn't do the interior any favors, because in my younger days my favorite cleaner was Spray Nine. It really did a nice job cleaning the leather, but led to it drying and cracking much sooner than it otherwise would have. I was driving the car up to 1999 when I finished the car barn, and since then it's been inside. The underside of the car and underhood is still in really nice shape and I think it only has around 70K miles on it now. I scored an NOS right 1/4 a few years ago at Carlisle, and I've had an NOS door for a long time. I also have a complete interior in nice shape, with the exception of a driver seat. Plans are to restore it once I'm set up to finally get working on my cars.

78 NY Coupe 7.JPG

78 NY Coupe 8.JPG

As you can see in this photo, the old Firestone 721's have seen better days. No skirt on this side now because the mounting brackets rusted off.

Jeff

Thanks for posting. I'm looking for another 1976 NYB or a 1974-75 Imperial coupe. I want to be like Doc McNeely....only with Formals....LOL!

I don't think this is one that you would want to add to your collection. The only reason I'm going to restore it is because we've owned the car for 35 years, otherwise I'd just go buy a nice one for $5K. If I hadn't bought the spare interior 30 years ago, I may have had to give up on it since it would cost a fortune to redo all the cracked lower door panels.

So that Monaco in the front row of picture one is long gone too?

Yes, That's the one that I mentioned parting out back when we were talking about the 500 that you bought. Similar situation to the '76 Newport. No title, rust in all the body panels, rusted sub frame, another blown motor with a thrown rod that came up and snapped the camshaft into three pieces. You could consider the left quarter panel a sculpture because it was carved out of Bondo. I did spend some time to make the car look presentable so that I could park it in the shopping center parking lot where I had my collection stored at the time, but much of that was done by covering up the rust holes with white racers tape.

The entire interior from the car is out near you somewhere. With the exception of the console, I shipped every part of it out that way many years ago to be installed in a '66 Polara. I'm thinking South Dakota, but I can't remember for sure. So if you run across a '66 Polara with a red Monaco 500 interior in it, that's the one.

The car did mark a milestone in my collecting history, as it was the first non-driveable car that I ever bought. My friend had just arrived from Colorado with that car trailer, in which I was half owner at the time, so I was able to run over to Jersey at a moments notice and grab the car.

66 Monaco 500 1.JPG

Jeff

I think these 74-78 c bodies were the finest group of large series sedans built in america.Maybe they weree not as baroque as the 76 gm sedans,olds 98,88. and so on.But you had the new yorker and newport with lovely interior options and 440 engines which are so robust.The torsion bars made the cars float on the highways.And the general shape of the bodies were by and large more modern and pleasant.The fury and monaco had different front ends that were pleasant.I love this car.The brocade is excellent.The vip road wheels always set off these bodies beautifully.And they look great without the fender skirts.Though those were not available.B.B

I think the price is a tad high for a retailer.But that engine bay looks like it was a garaged car.As does the rest of it.The vinyl top looks pristine.B.B

This one ended weird, deadbeat bidder or dealer get BS'ed on the lot.
See if it pops up again in the ad's.

1974.Fury.001.jpg

1974.Fury.002.jpg

1974.Fury.003.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back