1974 Imperial 2 door exhaust system

chrysler_fan

Reaction score
I recently purchased an original, unrestored 1974 Imperial LeBaron 2 door with Crown Coupe package. The exhaust behind the mufflers is going bad. The one tailpipe piece fell off but I never really noticed an increased noise level. This one has dual factory exhaust as it was before the catalytic converter era. Do any of you know if those cars should have had resonators beside the fuel tank or if the back part of the exhaust is simply straight. Thank you

On almost all Chrysler and Imperial cars from the later 1960s, there was usually a resonator beside the gas tank from the factory. Whether the expanded size of some of the later 1960s cars or a real, mini-muffler round resonator back there. The exhaust system catalogs had those in them, but ALSO had a "resonator eliminator pipe" as a replacement, if desired by the customer.

By observation, not a lot of difference in the exhaust sound, to me. PLUS, with nowhere for exhaust moisture to collect in the resonator eliminator pipe, they did not rust out nearly as often. Although Chrysler put small drain holes on the bottom of all of the rear of their mufflers and in the front (lowest part) of the resonators too. Back then, only what might be termed "the purists" bought the resonators, as normal people who did not want to buy something that would later rust out (as myself) purchased the resonator eliminator pipes. Seems like the resonator eliminator pipes were less expensive, too.

You can see the complete exhaust system in the free download of the Chrysler parts book at www.mymopar.com. Also in the related service manual, too.

Congrats on the purchase!
CBODY67

On almost all Chrysler and Imperial cars from the later 1960s, there was usually a resonator beside the gas tank from the factory. Whether the expanded size of some of the later 1960s cars or a real, mini-muffler round resonator back there. The exhaust system catalogs had those in them, but ALSO had a "resonator eliminator pipe" as a replacement, if desired by the customer.

By observation, not a lot of difference in the exhaust sound, to me. PLUS, with nowhere for exhaust moisture to collect in the resonator eliminator pipe, they did not rust out nearly as often. Although Chrysler put small drain holes on the bottom of all of the rear of their mufflers and in the front (lowest part) of the resonators too. Back then, only what might be termed "the purists" bought the resonators, as normal people who did not want to buy something that would later rust out (as myself) purchased the resonator eliminator pipes. Seems like the resonator eliminator pipes were less expensive, too.

You can see the complete exhaust system in the free download of the Chrysler parts book at www.mymopar.com. Also in the related service manual, too.

Congrats on the purchase!
CBODY67
Thank you.

I recently purchased an original, unrestored 1974 Imperial LeBaron 2 door with Crown Coupe package. The exhaust behind the mufflers is going bad. The one tailpipe piece fell off but I never really noticed an increased noise level. This one has dual factory exhaust as it was before the catalytic converter era. Do any of you know if those cars should have had resonators beside the fuel tank or if the back part of the exhaust is simply straight. Thank you
Why do you say it has the factory Dual exhaust? I think factory was single with muffler and resonator. Check the Parts Manual. I sold mine.
@Mr C

Screenshot_20230312_113538.jpg

Last edited:
Why do you say it has the factory Dual exhaust? I think factory was single with muffler and resonator. Check the Parts Manual. I sold mine.
@Mr C

View attachment 586482
Interesting. Thank you . Mine definitely has duals all the way. My MOPAR mechanic and I thought it was because of it not having a cat converter and could have duals. So the question still exists as to whether the rear part should have a resonator. I am looking at costs to purchase a parts book for 1974 but have not decided whether the much more expensive ones (big open flat parts books from dealer parts departments) are helpful enough to justify the cost over a bound parts book like I bought for the 1968 300 some years ago

In the mean time, head over to www.mymopar.com and see if they might have the one you need, for free download. You can tell a "built" system from a "factory" system due to the type of hangers and the way the bends are done, once you know what "factory" looks like. I like having a physical parts book to turn pages in, but the digital versions can be good too, once you get used to dealing with them. Just can't put your finger on one page, to hold the place, as you look for something else. But after dealing with OEM digital parts databases for years at the dealership, I kind of got used to the digital versions.

Personally, I would suspect a factory dual system for Imperials MIGHT have been available, but I suspect the OEM factory system would have been a single exhaust. By that time, with the low-compression ratios of that time, a dual exhaust would not have really been needed. As it seems that the factory single exhaust system had larger pipe diameters than what the Fuselage Cars had on them. PLUS the suspected production cost advantages of a larger-diameter single exhaust system over a dual exhaust system. So it would have been only Police cars and HO engine options which would have had factory dual exhausts, by that point in time.

The orig Lean Burn cars were "Non-Catalyst" in 1975 and 1976, plus the FLEET engines Chrysler sold back then. 318 2bbls, 360HO, 400HO, and 440HO. The last three would be for law enforcement or consumer special orders and had full "real" dual exhaust systems under them, sans cat converters, in the 1976 or so model years. The 318s would have been for more administrative-use municipal vehicles, I suspect. Back then, too, any vehicle with catalytic converters were banned from Federal lands, due to their very hot exhaust system items (the cat converter itself) and related fire hazards. Cars and pickups (under 6001 lbs GVW, back then). As things progressed, the factory convertered systems had "environmental heat shields" under them, as Chrysler was the only company to sell HO engines with DUAL cat converters for real dual exhausts (not a single converter feeding into a dual-outlet muffler, as GM did) until the 1981 Chrysler Newport/NY and Dodge St. Regis cars came to an end. There were also underbody heat shields for the floor pan, for the full length of the passenger compartment floor areas.

From my observations, years ago,
CBODY67

In the mean time, head over to www.mymopar.com and see if they might have the one you need, for free download. You can tell a "built" system from a "factory" system due to the type of hangers and the way the bends are done, once you know what "factory" looks like. I like having a physical parts book to turn pages in, but the digital versions can be good too, once you get used to dealing with them. Just can't put your finger on one page, to hold the place, as you look for something else. But after dealing with OEM digital parts databases for years at the dealership, I kind of got used to the digital versions.

Personally, I would suspect a factory dual system for Imperials MIGHT have been available, but I suspect the OEM factory system would have been a single exhaust. By that time, with the low-compression ratios of that time, a dual exhaust would not have really been needed. As it seems that the factory single exhaust system had larger pipe diameters than what the Fuselage Cars had on them. PLUS the suspected production cost advantages of a larger-diameter single exhaust system over a dual exhaust system. So it would have been only Police cars and HO engine options which would have had factory dual exhausts, by that point in time.

The orig Lean Burn cars were "Non-Catalyst" in 1975 and 1976, plus the FLEET engines Chrysler sold back then. 318 2bbls, 360HO, 400HO, and 440HO. The last three would be for law enforcement or consumer special orders and had full "real" dual exhaust systems under them, sans cat converters, in the 1976 or so model years. The 318s would have been for more administrative-use municipal vehicles, I suspect. Back then, too, any vehicle with catalytic converters were banned from Federal lands, due to their very hot exhaust system items (the cat converter itself) and related fire hazards. Cars and pickups (under 6001 lbs GVW, back then). As things progressed, the factory convertered systems had "environmental heat shields" under them, as Chrysler was the only company to sell HO engines with DUAL cat converters for real dual exhausts (not a single converter feeding into a dual-outlet muffler, as GM did) until the 1981 Chrysler Newport/NY and Dodge St. Regis cars came to an end. There were also underbody heat shields for the floor pan, for the full length of the passenger compartment floor areas.

From my observations, years ago,
CBODY67
i did go to the mymopar site but never found a place to download service or parts manuals either for new or old cars. I assume it is there but I must be braindead. In retrospect, I bet about 68 was the last of the years for the TNT engine option and likely the last of the dual exhaust for Imperial. I don't think imperial had an optional engine or exhaust after 1968

@Mr C

View attachment 586482
The Imperial in question most likely was born with single exhaust which would have had a resonator as per the FSM. Many replacement systems deleted the resonator.

I've never seen a Formal Imperial with stock duals...but that doesn't mean it never happened. By 74, duals on C bodies was pretty well a "cop" thing and not seen on your garden variety car.

The Duals had no resonator as there was not room for them on both sides of the fuel tank...as per FSM.

The way to tell if the car was born with duals lies in the rear crossmember support above the differential. This crossmember was used to hang the exhaust. On single exhaust cars they only got a "half" cross member that only went half way. On aftermarket duals on the driver side, they usually just drill a hole through the floor with a self tapper and use a aftermarket hangar

If your cross member goes all the way across the car and the factory style hangars are there just behind the mufflers, then you may have something really rare there and I'd go madly digging for broadcast sheets...because that's something I've never seen on a Formal.

The Imperial in question most likely was born with single exhaust which would have had a resonator as per the FSM. Many replacement systems deleted the resonator.

I've never seen a Formal Imperial with stock duals...but that doesn't mean it never happened. By 74, duals on C bodies was pretty well a "cop" thing and not seen on your garden variety car.

The Duals had no resonator as there was not room for them on both sides of the fuel tank...as per FSM.

The way to tell if the car was born with duals lies in the rear crossmember support above the differential. This crossmember was used to hang the exhaust. On single exhaust cars they only got a "half" cross member that only went half way. On aftermarket duals on the driver side, they usually just drill a hole through the floor with a self tapper and use a aftermarket hangar

If your cross member goes all the way across the car and the factory style hangars are there just behind the mufflers, then you may have something really rare there and I'd go madly digging for broadcast sheets...because that's something I've never seen on a Formal.
i have only had the 74 Imperial for a couple months. I think it has spent as much of that time at my career MOPAR friends house where he has worked on a number of things and in Venice for under hood cleaning / detail as it has in my mancave. Now that Al has the ATC working, I hope to drive it more to local shows but after unintentionally buying a 1979 Olds 98 Regency sedan with < 14k miles about a month ago, I have two orphans being processed and tended to at one time until I decide which of my 6 non daily driver cars I want to sell to cut back the fleet. At this point, I love them all so it will be a tough decision .

IF the car had factory duals, the lh exhaust pipe hangers and front pipe sections (which attach to the exhaust manifolds) would mimic what the rh side has. Most muffler shops did not go to the effort to get the factory hangers for the lh side (although they were in the back of the Walker Exhaust catalog AND available from Walker Exhaust, back then, by observation) unless the customer requested them OR the system was installed by the dealership with all factory items. Most muffler shops did not carry the same level of exhaust piping as the OEMs used, either, back then. So several things to look at and compare.

At www.mymopar.com, click on "Library" to find:
The Chrysler parts books they have for download.
The Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth Factory Service Manuals they have for download.
The Chrysler MasterTech series of videos to watch.

Edit ---- The model year range might go up to 1974 in all cases. Sorry for my presumption they did.

At www.hamtramck-historical.com, click on "Library" and follow the prompts to:
Factory sales literature, as to standard and factory optional equipment.
Factory Color and Trim books for interior and exterior trim colors and illustrations.
Other factory-generated materials relating to specific model years and models of Chrysler vehicles.

Some pages of the Hamtramck website can be a bit tricky to navigate, at first, but there is a massive amount of information there, including some dealership letters announcing the Spring Special cars and option packages.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Last edited:
IF the car had factory duals, the lh exhaust pipe hangers and front pipe sections (which attach to the exhaust manifolds) would mimic what the rh side has. Most muffler shops did not go to the effort to get the factory hangers for the lh side (although they were in the back of the Walker Exhaust catalog AND available from Walker Exhaust, back then, by observation) unless the customer requested them OR the system was installed by the dealership with all factory items. Most muffler shops did not carry the same level of exhaust piping as the OEMs used, either, back then. So several things to look at and compare.

At www.mymopar.com, click on "Library" to find:
The Chrysler parts books they have for download.
The Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth Factory Service Manuals they have for download.
The Chrysler MasterTech series of videos to watch.

At www.hamtramck-historical.com, click on "Library" and follow the prompts to:
Factory sales literature, as to standard and factory optional equipment.
Factory Color and Trim books for interior and exterior trim colors and illustrations.
Other factory-generated materials relating to specific model years and models of Chrysler vehicles.

Some pages of the Hamtramck website can be a bit tricky to navigate, at first, but there is a massive amount of information there, including some dealership letters announcing the Spring Special cars and option packages.

Enjoy!
CBODY67
Thank you

i In retrospect, I bet about 68 was the last of the years for the TNT engine option and likely the last of the dual exhaust for Imperial. I don't think imperial had an optional engine or exhaust after 1968
the TNT package was available on Chryslers ( not Imperials ) until 1971, then in 72 there was the dual exhaust option on Chryslers. i dont have the info handy that says if this was actually a U code TNT or not. i dont believe it was.

Last edited:
According to the 1972 Chrysler Data Book/Dealer Order Guide at www.hamtramck-historical.com, the 440 4bbl was available across the board in all Chryslers that year. Either standard or optional.

The Dual Exhaust option, for 440 4bbl V-8s only, was available on all 440 4bbl Chryslers . . . EXCEPT Town & Country wagons and Imperials.

No 440 4bbl HP engine listing in 1972, in Chryslers.

For 1974 Chryslers and Imperials, only single exhaust systems from the factory. No dual exhaust option for the 440 4bbl engine.

FWIW,
CBODY67

I don't believe dual exhaust was an option on formal Imperials, my '75 has the export emission package (no cats, same spec as '74) and had no option for duals. I think the formal New Yorkers and Newports had the option of duals. If you're going to redo it as dual exhaust, I'd recommend putting the resonators as close to the front as possible, it eliminates more drone that way, plus it's not 100% original anyways so may as well improve it a bit.

Take a look at this for the possible options for your car: The 1970 Hamtramck Registry - 1974 Chrysler Dealership Data Book - Imperial

If you find a build sheet that'll tell you what exact options yours was built with

My '75 FSM has no mention of dual exhaust on Imperials, only single exhaust.

Looks great. If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost ? and who did it ? Thanks
Certainly.. I purchased the mufflers and tips separately,, the pipes and labor was $950. And oddly of course a local Meineke muffler shop near me in Yonkers still has an Old School guy that loves this type of work.

I see your in Brooklyn, so bout a 45 min drive we can get ya fixed up.

If your cross member goes all the way across the car and the factory style hangars are there just behind the mufflers, then you may have something really rare there and I'd go madly digging for broadcast sheets...because that's something I'v
Thank you for backing me up.

Yes, there was factory duals available. And it was only available with the cop only 400 engine. How do I know? I had the parts numbers. I searched and searched for for years. Nothing out there. Absolutely nothing.

My MOPAR mechanic and I thought it was because of it not having a cat converter and could have duals.
74 only: Exhaust manifolds had the flat flange to the exhaust Y-pipe and no cat.
75-78: Exhaust manifolds had the "ball & cup" flange. Their was a cat. Also, above the cat was a heat shield bolted to the floor under the driver's seat.
The tailpipe hanger at the tip was unique but very close to the A-body style. Close but not exact.

Back