1974 plymouth sport suburban

1974PlymouthSport

Reaction score
I bought this car in 2012, fixed it up got a Dutch registration on it.
6 passenger version with a 440, rimblow steering wheel, power windows and seats, tilt\scope column

DSC_1424.jpg

Capture.jpg

DSC_1590 (2).jpg

By showing the fender tag you'd do me a great favor!

Thanks; my first tag for a 1974 Plymouth wagon! The sales code list suggests this car was ordered with the A08 Luxury Equipment Package, plus a Tilt-And-Telescope Steering Wheel to top it off:

119294 = Vehicle Order Number
121446 = Sequential Production Number
38 = Quality Controller Stamp
928 = Scheduled Production Date: September 28, [1973]
C58 = 50/50 Bench Seat
D34 = TorqueFlite Automatic, 3-Speed
E85 = Engine 440-Cubic-Inch, 4-Barrel V-8
END = End of Sales Codes
G11 = Glass, Tinted, All Windows
G63 = Mirror Remote Control, Right Outside
G8L3 = Vinyl Split-Back Bench Seat w/Center Armrests; Parchment
H51 = Air Conditioning - Manual Controls
KJ6 = Body & Roof Color: Avocado Gold
KL2 = Upper Door Frame Color: Light Parchment
L21 = Cargo Compartment Light
L31 = Fender Turn Signal Indicators
L81 = Door Ajar Lamp
M15 = Bright Upper Door Frames
M91 = Luggage Rack, Roof
M95 = Assist Handles
N88 = Automatic Speed Control
N95 = Emission Control System and Testing [California]
P31 = Power Windows
P41 = Power Door Locks
P44 = Auto Lock Tailgate
PP45 = Plymouth Sport Suburban; 2 Rows
S61 = Steering Wheel Tilt and Telescope w/Rim-Blow Horn
T4D = 440 cid Engine; 1974 Model Year; Belvidere Assembly Plant
U = US Market

Amazing, the Premier Wheel Covers included in the A08 package are still there!

From 15 until 23 September, 1973, Chrysler was hit by a union-lead strike. As the scheduled production date is September, 28, it would be interesting to see what the door sticker's MDH says.

VINs are unrelated to production...I do wish decoders would correct this error.

From 15 until 23 September, 1973, Chrysler was hit by a union-lead strike. As the scheduled production date is September, 28, it would be interesting to see what the door sticker's MDH says. Nice catch and response. It would be interesting to see the sticker.

VINs are unrelated to production...I do wish decoders would correct this error.

Then we should promote an alternative term, like Sequential Identification Number.

Then we should promote an alternative term, like Sequential Identification Number.

We have a term...the neutral term Vehicle Identification Number. The word 'sequential' needs to be disassociated due to connotation that the numbers were assigned sequentially and to remove the confusion that cars were built sequentially. VINs are a counting number (car one, cars two, car three), not order numbers (first, second, third). Emphasis and implications are placed on a number that may not exist.

I've seen the pictures of this car before and I have seen the video. This car is what I dream of finding one day. Unfortunately I keep finding Chrysler Town and countrys.

We have a term...the neutral term Vehicle Identification Number.

In general usage a VIN includes the codes for car line (P), price class (P), body style (45), engine (T), model year (4) and plant (D), so that would make two meanings for "VIN".

The word 'sequential' needs to be disassociated due to connotation that the numbers were assigned sequentially...

I understood from a previous post that they indeed were assigned sequentially. That was the post where you explained how the car paper work for a certain Scheduled Production Date was sorted by make (and possibly some other secondary criteria), stacked and then each car is assigned a number.

... and to remove the confusion that cars were built sequentially. VINs are a counting number (car one, cars two, car three), not order numbers (first, second, third). Emphasis and implications are placed on a number that may not exist.

Absolutely!

Last edited:
In general usage a VIN includes the codes for make (P), car line (P), body style (45), engine (T), model year (4) and plant (D), so that would make two meanings for "VIN".

Ok... 'last six digits of the VIN'. I want to remove the concept that VINs have anything to do with production sequence. I'm open to any language that resolves that.

I understood from a previous post that they indeed were assigned sequentially. That was the post where you explained how the car paper work for a certain Scheduled Production Date was sorted by make (and possibly some other secondary criteria), stacked and then each car is assigned a number.

Conceptually and for all practical purposes that is true.
Absolutely!

"Plant-Assigned Identification Number".

Every plant did its own numbering. When Newark switched from C- to A-bodies in January 1974, the A-body numbers continue where the C-body numbers had arrived (around 160000).

"Assembly-Assigned Identification Number" (AAIN)
"Plant-Specific Identification Number" (PSIN)
"Assembly-Specific Identification Number" (ASIN)

What shall it be?

Back