1975 440 block - need help determining if I should buy it

A Columbia 2 speed.

All that stuff is stylish again Jer, you can't be old! Lol

Kevin

Could also have been a Halibrand 2 speed rear. The Columbia 2 speed was very similar and offered by Ford in the pre WW2 era. Halibrand was post war, sturdier and popular with early hot rodders.

Dave

Kevin, I know our pal Rip iz old but you're a bit of a surprise, Lol. I didn't mention that the 2spd. waz a Columbia rear end 'cuz I didn't think anyone would know what that waz. FYI pal, Both my '32 and '34 3 Window Coupes had that same setup in 'um. And both had made the trip to Tijuana for the Tuck 'n Roll Leather Upholstery too. If I told you what I sold that '34 3 window for when I joined the Marine Corp in July of '56 you'd cry. Hell, I still cry. But I waz goin' to kill the Dirty Commies and those 3 window coupes were everywhere back then in SoCal rite?

Could also have been a Halibrand 2 speed rear. The Columbia 2 speed was very similar and offered by Ford in the pre WW2 era. Halibrand was post war, sturdier and popular with early hot rodders.

Dave

Here ya go:

173941.jpg

All good things to consider. Thanks. Was just thinking of a long term garage build, all new parts. Something around 500 hp give or take. But something I could just take my time and save up for pieces at a time and built it solid the way I wanted to. I'm sure I could get the power out of the 383, just sucks losing it for the time to pull the engine vs building side by side while still driving the car.

Here ya go:

1978 440 complete for sale in Otsego , MN, Price: $900

That'z ah Jag. rear axle isn't it Rip? AEH, they were good but the Lincoln trans and the Columbia rear were Cheap. Remember, hourly wage for us young buckz back then waz ah whooping $1.25 per.... But it went a long way then too, lol

Nope: That is vintage FOMOCO - probably from '39 to '48.

Nope: That is vintage FOMOCO - probably from '39 to '48.
My memoriez of the Columbia rear Lean more toward what we ustah call ah "HERNIA REAR END" TOOK TWO YOUNG GORILLAS TO WRESTLE THAT REAR END JUST TO GET IT BALANCED ON AH FLOOR JACK JUST SO WE GET IT IN POSITION UNDER THERE TAH U-BOLT IT TO THE SPRINGZ?

Right on Kevin, You Da Man. SHESH. After the pic Rip showed me and hiz response to my curry-quary about it being ah Jag. rear end My first thought waz, OH **** IT'S STARTED, I'M LOOSIN' IT. I knew the Columbia Rear had an exaggerated extension to one side of the axle housing off the pig but when Rip said the axle he showed me and said it waz '39 -'48 FOMOCO my mind started doin' flips 'cuz those were almost the exact yearz the Columbia Rearz were available in the Phord products. AND THATZ ABOUT WHEN I STARTED PLAYIN' WITH THE 59AB STUFF. I'M GONNA TAKE AH NAP NOW. I know It'll be better afterwordz, Jer

Right on Kevin, You Da Man. SHESH. After the pic Rip showed me and hiz response to my curry-quary about it being ah Jag. rear end My first thought waz, OH **** IT'S STARTED, I'M LOOSIN' IT. I knew the Columbia Rear had an exaggerated extension to one side of the axle housing off the pig but when Rip said the axle he showed me and said it waz '39 -'48 FOMOCO my mind started doin' flips 'cuz those were almost the exact yearz the Columbia Rearz were available in the Phord products. AND THATZ ABOUT WHEN I STARTED PLAYIN' WITH THE 59AB STUFF. I'M GONNA TAKE AH NAP NOW. I know It'll be better afterwordz, Jer

Jer:

My picture was meant to depict how a Hallibrand Quick Change looked back in the day. That Winters setup is pretty close. . . Sorry for the confusion.

Jer:

My picture was meant to depict how a Hallibrand Quick Change looked back in the day. That Winters setup is pretty close. . . Sorry for the confusion.
We're all good My Friend, but that rear end waz new to me and I knew the playerz in the street rod game went to the Jag. rear Long about the time I graduated to Marriage. I'll have cold St. Pauli waitin' for yea when we hook up at Carlisle. What do we have? 100 dayz and counting? I'll have the Lug Nutz all waxed up by then, Jer

We're all good My Friend, but that rear end waz new to me and I knew the playerz in the street rod game went to the Jag. rear Long about the time I graduated to Marriage. I'll have cold St. Pauli waitin' for yea when we hook up at Carlisle. What do we have? 100 dayz and counting? I'll have the Lug Nutz all waxed up by then, Jer

Mighty fine, Jer! I'm hoping to bring Gladys this time. . .

Back