1975 Imperial 2 door Coupe

Falcon75

Reaction score
Looking for the speedo unit that is behind the speedo cluster, check both cables and they are spinning freely. So I am guessing its the speedo unit behind the speedometer. Anybody ever change one of these out? not too familiar with the procedure. How long does this take? do I have to tear apart half the dash to get at it?

Regards Bruce

It does not come out from behind. One of the great things about Formals is the Dash design- everything can be removed from the front.

Step one remove cluster bezel (some screws on the bottom, then gently pull away (snap clips at the top will come easily, then gently unplug wiper/ defrost wires.

You will see a cluster like this:

HPIM2248.jpg

Then remove the metal speaker panel in front of the dash pad.

You should, depending on personal dexterity, size of forearms, be able to reach behind the cluster. You may need to pull the dash pad if you can't reach...I've never needed to.

Locate the speedo cable, grip/ compress the plastic snap tang that holds the cable head to the gear head then gently pull back to unhook the cable.

This pic shows the gear head at the back of the cluster and how it is not removed from behind.

HPIM2249.jpg

Now back to the cluster. The plastic cover is held on by plastic push on clips. Use needle nose plyers, find them all and pull straight back on them to get them out (I find wiggling them helps too).

HPIM2250.jpg

HPIM2251.jpg

Gently take off the cover and you will expose the speedo assembly and all the gauges (be careful not to touch the 3 gauges to the left, they are very sensitive and you can wreck them easily now that they are exposed.

Two screws at the base of the speedo and the face/ gear head come out together.

Here's what it looks like once its out (front and back view next to the cluster). Note that the removed one is from a 74 Imperial (last year for the 120mph speedo in a C body). The cluster next to it is from a 76 NYB (last year for the mph only face. In 77 they had both mph and km- and depending on US or Cdn/ export the prominence of mph or km swapped).

I hope this helps.

HPIM2252.jpg

HPIM2253.jpg

Back