1977 Mopar V-8: Did ALL 1977's have LEAN BURN, or just the ones with 4bbl carbs?

Thanks for writing up your first-hand experience! This is invaluable information!

It was a very difficult time within the company and the cost cutting efforts were extreme.

... feedback from the facility was pretty much panic right from the very start since the new vehicles were in poor shape from the beginning and needed a lot of attention before they could sell them to customers.

Do you happen to remember some concrete issues with the 1974 Formals caused by poor quality because of cost cutting that were absent from the preceding Fuselage C-body cars?

By comparison, the B body vehicles for example were much more solid cars that were designed apparently without all the penny pinching ...

So a 1974 B-body was the better buy quality-wise.

You have to remember that there are different type of "quality" in a vehicle. Other than "quality of materials", there is "quality of assembly", with the later usually being where Chrysler did not meet what GM and especially Ford were doing back then.

All it would take to judge the assembly issue is to sight down the side of the car and look at the reflections. On any Ford product, the sheet metal was completely flat and linear reflections indicated that. On Chryslers, there were little bulges at the edges of the door skins and front fenders. Very slight, but still there. On GMs, it was panel gaps as (according to the DeLorean book on GM), GM waited too long to get the new models approved, so the tool and die operatives had to work overtime to get the jobs done, which resulted in things not being completely "as designed" on GM cars back then (later 1960s into the 1970s).

In pricing out a car for production, (as DeLorean noted) the engineers will usually make good decisions as to quality of materials, tire vendors, and such to have each model year a bit better than the prior, which maintains or increases customer satisfaction and maintains re-sale values. All good to this point, BUT when the proposal is presented for approval, the "accounting operatives" an dismantle some of these things (as DeLorean also noted) by claiming "Youi need to get $25.00 (production cost) out of that car." As this usually happened in July or August before the cars were to be built in September, a juggling act suddenly began. Which explained by the seat fabric in our '61 BelAir came apart by the 3rd model year, uet the imterior in my uncle's '62 Impala wagon wore like iron, for example. Things not related to engineering were about all that could be changed, at that late date.

In the case of GM and every other OEM, "accounting" knows what they want the cars to cost to get to the end of the assy line. It's "engineering's job" to make that happen, which accounting can then possibly tweak (while in the design stage) by desiring parts with a projected higher failure rate than a slightly more-costly part with a lower failure rate (which related to warranty costs).

The possible scenario I saw was that after the first model year of a new platform, after things seemed to settle down, the problem areas of the first model year would be quietly fixed for the second model year. With lower-failure rate items rather than the earlier ones which did fail too much,l for example.

One thing Chrysler did in the development of the LH cars was to bring the vendors into the design process for the cars. Each component was presented and the vendor-rep was involved in the approval and pricing stages. Minor design tweaks resulted in savings with little impact on the final product. This, plus on-the-fly innovations resulted in the LH cars coming in after 3 years of development, under budget, and generated "golden eggs" for Chrysler (which Daimler lusted after, I suspect, but that's another story).

Looking back, Chrysler's finances probably started to get flaky about 1/2 way through the Fuselage Years. As the '74 cars were in design. As good as the cars appeared to be, to me, seeing them at the dealership), the '74 cars (in retrospect) had issues (as @saforwardlook mentioned) that would not appear for a few years, if not sooner. Compound that with mediocre build quality (par for Chrysler at the time, it seemed), and things went downhill after gasoline prices increased.

As "big cars" were perceived to be non-economical to operate, Fenner Tubbs in Lubbock took their C-body demo fleet on a little mileage check. Filled the tanks at the Shell station across from the dealership, headed south to the edge of the Caprock (north of Post, TX), then back. Using the factory cruise controls set at 55mph (the national speed limit of the time). Then re-filled the tanks at the same pump at the same Shell station. The New Yorker 440 was 20.66mpg, the Newport 400 2bbl was 20.33mpg, and the Fury 360-2bbl was high 19s. To me, that was impressive and a testament to how well Chrysler engineering was doing back then. Then, they had some copies made of the results for each car, signed, notorized, and placed them in the showroom for customers to see and take with them. That was a good year for cotton on the South Plains. When an exiting Olds 98 or Buick Electra owner came in looking for new car, they saw the mpg test results. Knowing what their current cars did on fuel economy, they were surprised and laughed. Then the salesman let them drive a new Chrysler for the weekend, to see for themselves. On Monday, the new Chrysler replaced their thirsty GM car. Fenner Tubbs had a good service department, so if anything happened during the warranty period, I suspect these new Chrysler customers were taken care of as good as they could have been. BTAIM

Chrysler was a big law enforcement vehicle provider, back then. That fact became evident to me when I was putting the factory dual exhaust under my '80 Newport. ALL of the exhaust and "undercarriage" items were ABOVE the lowest level of the rocker panel! Nothing hanging down to hang on curbs and such. Which explained why the trunk floor was higher than normal on the Formals and the R-cars which replaced them in 1979. Plus the shorter floor-to-headliner distance on the R-cars, too.

Then, in the '80 Newport, when I replaced the factory AM/FM radio with a fancier factory stereo radio, seeign how easy this was when compared to earlier models, plus getting the instrument cluster R&R'd, with plastic pins rather than screws, it was obvious they were designing-out labor times to decrease warranty labor costs. Which could also mean less down-time in the repair shops for law enforcement vehicles.

On the '80 Newport, evidence of cost-cutting was prominent. The basic body structure and such were better than prior models, butrvation. the "equipment" was good but not as robust as the Slabs, by observation. Some of the innovations made servicing harder to do. Like the battery heat shield/windshield washer reservoir. Changing the battery suddenly became a major operation. With the multi-integrations, more labor time was involved. But, like the ELB system, it was probably "sold" as a good thing. The a/c system worked great (with the Denso compressor), but the window regulators were not as good as they needed to be (or as good as a similar-design GM regulator). So, consider the R-cars were "Cost Cutting 3.0" (if Formals = Cost Cutting 1.5), in many areas. Quality of materials? The velour on my car was mostly gone on the lh frt seat, with a strong base fabric remaining. The deep carpet was there for additional heat shielding from the cat converter, I suspect, but still looks pretty good. The foam-backed headliner was having issues, aggravated by its initial years in Midland, TX. The car had signs of rough usage, being sold to an oil field tool company. Evidenced by the Midas-brand air shocks and rear home-made angle iron trailer hitch, plus the wadded-up and re-welded section of the Y-pipe behind the oil pan. So it took all of that and then some before I got it. It was spec'd out as a company car by the then-gone long-time dealer in Midland, which is how a dealer CAN order cars for their intended uses. So it had the factory HD load carrying suspension on it, just no rear sway bar. Some new Chrysler HD front shocks and Monroe air shocks brought back that firm, gutsy feel I like, which was good.

In the ultimate pricing out of vehicles to be approved for production, you can spend so much on the engine, so much on the transmission and rear axle, so much on the suspension, and so much on cosmetic and "touch" items. How the OEM balances all of these things while still meeting customer desires and sales objectives is a tricky balance to hit. Much less what is standard and what is optional equipment. And it can give the customer of what is good or not so good about a vehicles. For example, import brands do not change engine designs much over the years, just refine them for emissions and such as needed. So many import engines are more-durable over the long haul, but can cost more to fix when they fail. Compared to USA brands, they "over-spend" in this area, or used to. But the import brands will compensate for those greater expenses by spending less in other areas, as interior fabrics which cooked on the top of the rear seat, in TX much less AZ, under the summer sun. Or an instrument panel pad which was molded, one piece rather than a USA brand which took 15 pieces to do the same thing. And there are other examples.

Then, once the powertrain costs were paid for, the import brands started to spend more money on their interior designs and fabrics. A new focus for them, but something USA brands had generally done well at. Now the game changed and the imports were suddenly "leaders" in that area.

ONE thing to remember, Toyota dealers can't exist only doing oil changes and tire rotations. Those cars have their own service and design issues, just that nobody talks about that (although they seems to be fewer in number). Similar to what GM and Ford did, which went unnoticed by others, in prior times. When Chrysler had a little hiccup, it was major news, by comparison, which is what I saw happening with the Volare/Aspen cars. GM accountants caused more problems than many might desire to count, but it was their dealers who ordered cars with the right options and right equipment mixes to keep their customers coming back again and again, universally. For some reasons, Chrysler dealers didn't get that memo of how to do that, or understand why that was important, especially in the "big-city" stores. In TX, at least from what I could see, the most successful Chrysler stores were either "old line" Chrysler dealers (and their kids) with lots of product knowledge, or former GM dealers who got displeased or otherwise, but were successful for a good while before they left.

Thanks for your time. Sorry for the length,
CBODY67

My first job was with Chrysler and it started in 1969 - I was in a special group as part of the Chrysler Institute of Engineering program where they chose a number of college graduates around the country to participate based on grade point averages and interest in automobiles and their majors. I was just one of the ones they chose that year. It consisted of about 10 people each year and they sent each of the participants to the University of Michigan to get their masters degree at no cost to the participants. It also consisted of rotating the participants throughout the corporation on 3 month assignments in each group before allowing us to move to another group so each participant could choose the group they most enjoyed in which to go permanent at the end of the two years. I chose the fuel systems lab as my final group to go permanent in because I wanted to do what I could to reduce emissions based on all the smog we had in California.

My first assignment was in the Doors and Hardware group and I learned fast just how important cost cutting of just a couple of cents was in choosing a production part. My first assignment was to determine whether the interior door handles that were made of metal in an A body were too heavy such that in a side impact the weight and hence the inertia of the handle in a collision was too great and could overcome the spring holding it closed to allow it to self open on its own due to inertial effects of a side impact. My calculations did show that the spring to hold it closed that was being proposed didn't meet the strength requirement to prevent it from self opening so I upped the spring tension to a better spring that cost 2 cents more for significantly more margin. When my manager saw my conclusions and the cost impact he was very upset about the cost increase. So he told me to specify a cheaper, lighter handle rather than a metal one. I did check around with the suppliers of that part and was told that a plastic one was the only other option but it wouldn't be as durable as the metal one. So I redid the calculations and was able to reduce the size of the spring and ended up saving 2 cents overall and then the manager was very happy. I was shocked at the penny pinching that went on even in the early 70s and I was told later on that the penny pinching that occurred later on was even worse.

The cars coming into the Nu Car Prep center were just put together more poorly when the Formals were introduced. Some had water leaks in the roofs I guess due to the Landau styling of some of them and the problems with sealing those metal trim pieces attached to the roof. Also the interior trim especially around the rear windows didn't fit well and the dash panels had a lot of squeaks on the brief drive around their loop to look for those kinds of problems before delivering them to the dealers. Apparently there was much more plastic in the dash panels that was cheap and thin that made those an issue. There were a lot of other fit and finish issues maybe from being all new models but the guys in the prep center were pretty annoyed that so much more had to be done to be able to deliver the cars to dealers that wouldn't cause customer complaints.

Most of my feedback about the increased issues from the formals was from all the Manager's friend's cars that were coming into the Emission Testing center to get fixed at around 30-40K miles with problems that shouldn't have been present at such low mileage. Things like power steering pump leaks, tilt column failures, electrical issues and a/c failures and on and on were common. Our technicians really struggled with some of these items and my experience in the doors and hardware group told me a lot. It was likely that Chrysler might have saved a penny or two in the power steering pump seals or that relative to the cost of the tilt/tel steering columns, Chrysler might have told GM's Saginaw Division that produced them to cut the costs more and GM must have obliged them. The techs were especially furious that they had to mess with those complex columns with all their cheesy plastics in them that fell apart just taking them apart at such low mileage. Of course the driveability issues were a big challenge and when the weather got really cold a lot of his friends brought those things in to us to "fix" as well. We knew how to fix them but what the guys actually did I am not going to estimate but they knew very well what components were a big part of that issue. I would estimate the OSAC valve was the first to go though (it cut off spark advance for 25 seconds on any acceleration until the vehicle got up to cruising speed and each time you let off on the accelerator it repeated itself).

By comparison the B body architectures were made earlier and carried over longer such that they weren't under such scrutiny in terms of cost cutting. All I can say is that the B bodies didn't have nearly as many issues as the Formals or even the earlier C bodies according to both the Nu Car Prep guys and our own technicians. There was a lot of good things about the Formals that were really good as I detailed earlier - very quiet, solid feeling and steady handling and comfortable but that positive early perception wasn't so good anymore once the cars got more miles on them and the driveability from the start was an issue especially in cold weather.

One last thing I can say is that each year I was able to order any vehicle for use as a lab vehicle and it was usually a B body. The last one I ordered was a 1979 Magnum SE with the the 360 California 4-bbl package that we got to spec out so it drove well in production - it was a dark blue with a purple tint to it, great, very comfortable cloth wide bucket type bench seat and all the options and the handling package but not the glass roof. It also had the special wheels and I remember it as one of the best overall vehicles I have ever driven and it had plenty of quality in it still.

Bottom line is that your question is a good one but not easy to answer and what I have detailed is all I can say based on my experience. We put over 30K miles on the Magnum (I didn't even order another vehicle even though I could have because we all liked it so much) - and never a problem with it ever.

I need to spend more time in my garage at this point rather than try to explain the long distant past. So over and out - this is pretty much all I know..............

One last bit of information of apparent cost-cutting, not perceived as such when it was happening. A friend purchased a new Cordoba in 1977-'78, normal type 400ELB and landau vinyl top. After about two years, he started to notice some pinhole rust appear in the area where the halo vinyl top moulding might normally be but he had the normal landau top. All in a straight line, horizontally. An interesting location for such to happen, rather that at the pinchweld area. So he made plans and traded it for a fwd DeVille later on.

We traded for a CA-spec '76 Cordoba in the pumpkin color with a beige landau roof and bench seat interior. In looking it over, I noticed that in many places, the normal seam sealer at the edge of the door skin was missing before the car's paint was applied. I thought that odd, at the time. Then looked at the edges where the deck lid skin was wrapped around the inner structure. No sealer there, either. On the deck lid, though, normal heat/cold metal movement had resulted in surface rust forming along the outer edge of the skin. Then, I noticed some small pinholes (like my friends roof panel) appearing on the vertical sections of the deck lid, on the lh side of the license plate. Another curious place for that to happen!

SO, if you are interested in one of those cars, check the amount and integrity of those skin wrap-around areas on the doors, deck lid, and such. Plus the general edges of the roof, too. If you might be doing a restoration on one of them, remove the headliner and inspect/refinish the inner roof panel, too.

IF the car shows evidence of a "rust proofing" process having been done when the car was new, check ALL of the places that stuff was injected, period! Reason? On a "bring a trailer" website, about 10 years ago, a nice looking Small Fury Road Runner appeared. Not a special car, just a small Fury with that package on it. On the rh side, the B-pillar base was totally rusted, plus some of the floorpan in that area. Seems that the rust proofing compound sealed off any of the routes for any condensate in that area to evaporate. So it accumulated there for decades, rusting out that whole area. NOT GOOD! Considering its ultimate value, it was a nice looking parts car.

I really liked those cars when new, especially the '76 models with their first-ever tilt wheel in a B-body car. Never could own one, back then, but that's another deal.

Just some observations,
CBODY67

Trucks with a GVW over 6000lbs were exempt ftom certain emission standards so most did not have ELB nor cat convertors.
Feds got smart in 79and jacked up the emission requirements over 6200lbs.
Cat convertors , ELB were in and the B/RB engines plus the Lil Red Express was out.
The Feds, anyway my 79 RV had the LBS it was a 360

In 1976 I purchased a new 1976 Dodge Royal Monaco Brougham with the 400 ELB (first year Lean Burn). The technology was of interest to me so I kept following its development and learned (or so I thought) that although in 1976 Lean Burn was an option ONLY on 400cu in larger sized cars, it was made universal on all Mopar v-8's in 1977. However, yesterday I saw an extremely low mileage 1977 Dodge RMB for sale with a 360 and no Lean Burn, which the owner states was not placed on 360 2bbl cars in 1977.

So, does anybody have the correct information on this topic.

I know this is silly, but I'd like to know.

Thanks
Did you convert?

Best part is they are a easy fix in most areas of the country. The spark control is not great , but neither is a 1975 nonleanburn distributor.
Pull the center bridge out of your TQ carburetor and file some small flat spots into the middle and fattest parts of the metering rods, leave the small tips alone for now. Lean fuel air was only on cruise, idle and decel. By putting some flat spots on the fat/cruise section of the metering rod you allow more fuel at high vacuum cruise and the middle/transition which will improve drivability. A air fuel ratio gauge helps but can also be done seat of the pants just go slow. WOT was still targeted for 12.5:1, but I doubt you going to see that. This is where you would have to make the decision to flat spot the tip of the rod or if it still needs richened across the board you can open the top and remove and drill the primary jets slightly larger, they are the ones that screw down in the bottom.
A good curved distributor without the lazy emission advance will help. ELB distributor have no advance mechanism, it's in the box so you will need a different distributor.
Or go look at Javier's threads about exorcising the ELB demons.
I will add a opinion on why GM drove better.
They kept the carburetor slightly rich which always drives better than lean. The 70s GM cats were a flow nightmare (the thousands of turns the exhaust gasses had to make through those beads is doing nothing for performance), however most cars of any size are usually just putting around at no more than half throttle for 99.9%of the hours on the engine.
So GM said just make a cat that corrects all our faults and let the engine have its fuel.
Another plus for GM cars and trucks is the distributor remained the same as it was. So all you have to do is add some advance and swap a couple of springs under the rotor (easy) and you get even more snappy throttle.

Last edited:
Best part is they are a easy fix in most areas of the country. The spark control is not great , but neither is a 1975 nonleanburn distributor.
Pull the center bridge out of your TQ carburetor and file some small flat spots into the middle and fattest parts of the metering rods, leave the small tips alone for now. Lean fuel air was only on cruise, idle and decel. By putting some flat spots on the fat/cruise section of the metering rod you allow more fuel at high vacuum cruise and the middle/transition which will improve drivability. A air fuel ratio gauge helps but can also be done seat of the pants just go slow. WOT was still targeted for 12.5:1, but I doubt you going to see that. This is where you would have to make the decision to flat spot the tip of the rod or if it still needs richened across the board you can open the top and remove and drill the primary jets slightly larger, they are the ones that screw down in the bottom.
A good curved distributor without the lazy emission advance will help. ELB distributor have no advance mechanism, it's in the box so you will need a different distributor.
Or go look at Javier's threads about exorcising the ELB demons.
I will add a opinion on why GM drove better.
They kept the carburetor slightly rich which always drives better than lean. The 70s GM cats were a flow nightmare (the thousands of turns the exhaust gasses had to make through those beads is doing nothing for performance), however most cars of any size are usually just putting around at no more than half throttle for 99.9%of the hours on the engine.
So GM said just make a cat that corrects all our faults and let the engine have its fuel.
Another plus for GM cars and trucks is the distributor remained the same as it was. So all you have to do is add some advance and swap a couple of springs under the rotor (easy) and you get even more snappy throttle.
Interesting. Thanks for the informative reply.
For the record, the only drivability problem I had with that car was that it jumped ahead on throttle tip-in, but then immediately felt like the timing was being held back a bit and the acceleration dropped off from what it had initially promised. I never made any modifications to the car.

Other than that it blew the ignition resistor at about 4 months there were no issues, but that (ignition resistor0 is so endemic to Mopars that I don't count it as a Lean Burn issue. I might still be driving that car today (it was my first new car) had not some miscreant stolen it from my driveway at 2 years and 29,000 miles!

So, if you happen to come across one with the VIN number DP41N6D184805 please let me know-I want it back!

Back