1977 New Yorker

Steve: Cantflip and Detmatt suggested that tires might have been stored in the back seats....it looks like that correct. If that's grease....What will get that stain out....That leather is pristine!

I find the Leatherique cleaner and preserver work best on leather and use in on all of my such seats:

leatherique-prestine-clean-8-oz-26.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

I hope it’s something that can be cleaned off but I’ll say that it’s been my experience that not everything can be easily cleaned off of silver leather and I’m guessing blue is no different.:BangHead:
On this one I fear that there was some chemical on the tires that were transported back there that probably shined up the tire and at the same time reacted with the leather causing the transfer. It may have to be dyed, I’d take it to a pro if that’s the case.

Steve: Cantflip and Detmatt suggested that tires might have been stored in the back seats....it looks like that correct. If that's grease....What will get that stain out....That leather is pristine!

If the stain is just grease, you might start with a 50/50 mix of Simple Green and water.

View attachment 372634
A tragedy on a car with an un-cracked steering wheel...
View attachment 372635

Well, no one else will say it but I know you're all thinking it, I'll say it for you.

What kind of moron would put tires in the back seats of a car when they look like that!:soapbox:

Probably bragged to his buddies on how much he saved by getting them from tire rack, now he's pissed that he ruined his seats.:rofl:

I have a boat where the spare was stored on the vinyl seat. I tried everything nothing would get that stain out, unfortunately probably the same for leather. Too bad.

Beautiful car !

Great condition too.... except for the back seat.

Tires have a mold release lubricant that stains the crap out of everything and will even bleed into the whitewalls turning them yellowish dirty colored, if the tire is not put into service. I’m not talking about the blue crap they put on the tires... I’m talking about what’s underneath it.

The stain on the leather seat dye surface will not come off... ever. You’ll need strip the old dye off and hope to Christ that it didn’t mark the actual leather before you even try to re-dye it. (Don’t ask me how I know). And it will take several light passes to get a good opaque finish.

if it’s in the leather, you have to remove the panel and replace it. Then dye it all to look the same.

about a $1500 job if your lucky.

Having said that, it’s still looks to be a great car.

J

I've called twice and left messages....They have not returned my calls. There's two Formals '77 & '78 NYB's for sale on FB.

Nice ride and nice price. Not too far from me either.

It seems more and more people just want to part cars out that look really nice.I just hope people grab these leather interiors.The quality of the leather i think was well above average.It was thick and hard to destroy unless you left it in the sun.I,m sure Newport owners may want to upgrade.I love Newports by the way.2 doors especially.B.B

^^BB: I've got a line on two sets of very nice leather seats from an add on FB and CL on the Chicago/N. Indiana/Milwaukee sites. One is light blue the other is Cream color....he's parting out a '77 and a '78 NYB's! Check it out!

He's sending me some more photos of the seats of both cars....if the price is right and he can deliver reasonably, I'll buy 'em and store them. The blue set will go in my '77 NYB coupe with worn out cloth seats.

Back