For Sale 1977 Plymouth Fury Gran Fury Brougham Police

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the way they should be... not creeping around in the shadows. Pinching you after its too late. If you could see them you'd be more mindful of your speed and be more careful.
I remember watching for that paint scheme. They stuck out like a sore thumb.

When New York State started selling their old cars at auction, it was only a few months before they passed a law requiring ex-trooper cars with that color scheme to be repainted after purchase. The usual option was to paint over the yellow with a matching blue, but there were quite a few that just got some rattle can primer.

When they started using Diplomats, they stayed with that paint scheme and then switched to a darker blue with a gold stripe towards the end of that run of cars. It is pretty similar to what they have now.

dip015.jpg

Diplomatcopcar_01_resized.jpg

That's the way they should be... not creeping around in the shadows. Pinching you after its too late. If you could see them you'd be more mindful of your speed and be more careful.
I disagree. We should be mindful of our speed regardless. There are not enough police around, and I see too many people driving recklessly and rudely, and they straighten up when a cop enters our midst.

So I feel they (copcars) should be subtle, so that those people will hopefully be caught unawares and receive citations, which helps fund the police dept. Without that funding, taxes go up, which includes me. Why should I pay 'same rate' with those people?

I respectfully disagree, for example, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a cop in N.Y... If it's not the local town cops, it's the sheriff, if not them it's the troopers. All creeping around in dark colored cars. I watch what I'm doing, keep my cars in snuff, don't drive drunk, I just don't need to be hassled every time I turn a corner by some guy or checkpoint, who wants to make a name for himself. Leave me alone! They are there to protect and serve, not hassle. Your taxes fund them anyway, and for every ticket they write the town gets a kick back, and who knows if they get one too, nothing but a money making scam. It's a self serving circle, the more they write, the more they think they can justify their existence and the more they "Need". If you could see them like in the old days, people would be way more aware of what they are doing, not get caught after the fact! Most people drive like retards all the time and only get pinched by these under cover cops once or twice in a lifetime. If you could see them, the first thing you look at is your speedometer and say "whoa better slow down" or buckle up or put the phone down. Too late after you get pinched. They should have a preventative attitude by being seen and not a reactive one. They would only need half of what they have on the force if they did that, and your taxes would be cheaper. Imho.

You're kinda contradicting yourself. You say you don't do anything wrong, but you get hassled anyway, so how would a vivid car help? Then you say if you could see them, 'whoa slow down'. You say there are too many cops so they need to pay their way (and the old 'kickback' theory), which is not what I'm talking about. And 'Most people drive like retards all the time and only get pinched by these under cover cops once or twice in a lifetime' so again, what does the car have to do with it?

I'm talking about knuckleheads that deserve tickets, and don't get them as often as they should because if they see a cop they behave for a mile or 2, then go back to their reckless driving. And a vivid car helps those people.

Last edited:
I don't speed, was a general comment meant for the knuckle heads.
No matter I'll let my rant go. We'll agree to disagree.
:thumbsup:

No problem, we are both talking about different things. I'm talking about an area with too many douchebags, you're talking about an area with too many cops (but some might say that's the same thing!) :D

side impression from a german tourist:

I see lots of cop cars when I am in the bigger Los Angeles area.
I am flooded by cop cars in Florida all the time
I am flooded by cop cars in NYC

There is nearly no cop cars in outer NJ or Pennsylvania.
That was the most cop car free holiday in the US I ever had

Carsten

They have to get it somewhere.
And that's 1 of 2 concepts that certain groups in this country just don't get. If you take from 1 group or area, it doesn't simply improve the area you gave it to, the system will always have an opposite reaction, like FLA's tax structure. (i.e. you can't double your curbside recycling fees without some folks deciding to opt out and put it in the trash instead.)

The other concept is that it's not a zero-sum game. Wealth will be created by those with ambition and motivation, and if you smother that in the interest of fairness, the reaction is that the fire eventually goes out. Don't kill the golden goose!

Don't know exactly why that popped in my head, but soapbox is now dismounted.

side impression from a german tourist:

I see lots of cop cars when I am in the bigger Los Angeles area.
I am flooded by cop cars in Florida all the time
I am flooded by cop cars in NYC

There is nearly no cop cars in outer NJ or Pennsylvania.
That was the most cop car free holiday in the US I ever had

Carsten
If you're driving a rental, your late model will be unlikely to get too much traffic enforcement unless you do a burnout right in front of them... except FHP... they go after everyone, but they still focus on the "profile"...

If you are on the highway, never sucker into a race... they do entrapment street racing from time to time with impound cars.

The small town cops... go a few miles under the speed limit... they make their revenues at the interesting locations where the road speed is changed down dramatically to pass through their jurisdictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back