1977 Wiper Issues

77newyorker440

Reaction score
Good Morning Everyone,
I have a few questions about my wiper system. Following your recommendations, I pulled the entire system and replaced all the bushings (I've actually done it twice now and am able to do the whole system(from removal to reinstallation) in about an hour, quite proud of that). I used the Dorman 49440 bushings as recommended. However, my problems continue. When I turn on the wiper system, the wiper arms slam down into the plastic stops, and then go into motion, going lower when turned on than where they are in park. Why would they do this, and what is the fix?
Thanks,
77newyorker440

Do you have, two speed wiper, two speed with delay, or three speed wipers. Need to know that to steer you in the right direction.

Here are the pictures that were requested, any thoughts on why they don't work?

20220127_193632.jpg

20220127_193624.jpg

20220127_193613.jpg

I'm going to just throw this out there... Let's say it goes with my application of Occam's Razor when it comes to car repair.

Any chance the wiper arms just aren't on correctly? I mean, take them off, put them back on when everything is in the "park" position where they should be and see what happens. If they go too high or hit the A pillar, it's something else, but if they don't, that's your problem.

I'm going to just throw this out there... Let's say it goes with my application of Occam's Razor when it comes to car repair.

Any chance the wiper arms just aren't on correctly? I mean, take them off, put them back on when everything is in the "park" position where they should be and see what happens. If they go too high or hit the A pillar, it's something else, but if they don't, that's your problem.
Yes sir, that was my first thought as well, but I simply cannot get it high enough to avoid it hitting the stops at the low point in the swing unless they are halfway up rhe windshield

Back