1978 Exhaust Manifold Studs/nuts

Moseman

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I pulled the engine out for rebuild and am going to go back with stock exhaust manifolds. I did not realize how difficult it would be to buy new studs, nuts and the extended nuts. Does anyone know the proper studs and nuts for this? All of the Ebay stuff goes to 76, but I cannot find a listing for 78. My od parts, and broken studs are in a box 800 miles away.

I pulled the engine out for rebuild and am going to go back with stock exhaust manifolds. I did not realize how difficult it would be to buy new studs, nuts and the extended nuts. Does anyone know the proper studs and nuts for this? All of the Ebay stuff goes to 76, but I cannot find a listing for 78. My od parts, and broken studs are in a box 800 miles away.

Which motor? If it is a big block, 400 or 440, the studs are 3/8" NC, problem comes if you need the fasteners. HP manifolds have several different types that varied for different years. www.manciniracing.com has most of them. If you have log style manifolds, those mostly were all studs with nuts and they should be able to help you with that.

Dave

Which motor? If it is a big block, 400 or 440, the studs are 3/8" NC, problem comes if you need the fasteners. HP manifolds have several different types that varied for different years. www.manciniracing.com has most of them. If you have log style manifolds, those mostly were all studs with nuts and they should be able to help you with that.

Dave
Yes 440, log style with studs nuts, and the various long style nuts, That is what I am struggling with. Will check Mancini.

Amazon has a listing under "440 exhaust manifold studs" for the studs themselves.

Dave

Amazon has a listing under "440 exhaust manifold studs" for the studs themselves.

Dave
Thanks, I get studs from many places, and Midwest Muscle Car can make a set, I just need the length and number of the long nuts.

Thanks, I get studs from many places, and Midwest Muscle Car can make a set, I just need the length and number of the long nuts.
These might still be available through FCA, they are 2-7/8" long overall. The earlier versions were open at both ends, these should be correct for the late engines. Lynn
studs 001.JPG

Dave
Dave,

Pictures of exhaust manifolds below. Looks like I need 6 extended nuts.
440 exhaust.jpg
440 exhaust2.jpg

Back