1978 Lean Burn Conversion

Be advised, the Orange Box controller might not fire the plugs if the battery is a little weaker than normal. The battery can still be hot enough to spin the motor over well enough that it should start, but doesn't. Should that occur, you might consider a normal control box as a replacement. From what I've seen and read in the Mopar Perf/Direct Connection Race Manual of old.

I like using OEM-grade parts for these upgrades. You get a new distributor with a known advance curve in the mix, too! Rather than a "rebuilt" generic distributor with an known advance curve.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Those are not capacitors, they are condensers to bleed off any static. This was supposed to help protect the electronics.

Dave
I guess it’s a fine point but a condenser is a capacitor. If not, can someone please tell me the difference?

popcorn.gif

Both store energy, but I believe that the "capacitor" will not discharge that energy until it reaches a certain level/amount? Condenser's "discharge", capacitors "zap! and recharge to do it again"?

CBODY67

I guess it’s a fine point but a condenser is a capacitor. If not, can someone please tell me the difference?

They are both the same thing. By Historic convention, automotive capacitors are referred to as condensers in most of the literature. Chrysler FSM calls them capacitors for some applications, such as noise reduction and the ones inside the distributor the FSM calls condensers, confusing? Yes. Charles Kettering the inventor of Starting Motors, Distributor Ignition and founder of Delco Electric called the distributor units capacitors and that was what they referred to in the patent drawings. Distributor ignition (Kettering Ignition) was first installed on the 1911 Cadillac. In 1915 starting motors appeared on the 1915 Caddy. It is believed that because early experiments referred to electricity as a "fluid" that many of the electrical components used terms from steam technology. A condenser in the world of steam condensed the steam back into water so it could be stored and reused. The capacitor "stores" electrical energy until it reaches fire point so it became referred to as a condenser also. You should now be thoroughly confused.

Dave

Dave

Last edited:
For those of you interested in automotive history, Charles Kettering was probably the most innovative automotive design engineer of the twentieth century. In addition to creating the first distributor ignition and starting motor systems, he also helped design the famous Oldsmobile Kettering V8 engines which used an over square design, overhead valves and high compression ratios to greatly increase engine performance, economy and horsepower. The horsepower wars in the 50's to70's had their start with Ketterling's designs. He was also one of the co-creaters of Freon R-12 for refrigerant systems which replaced ammonia in household refrigerators and eventually became the standard for vehicle A/C systems.

Dave

I love that little (road ready) sticker. Party on Wayne party on Garth. Oh wait they had a pacer!

Clover, a quick use of Google told that the condenser is a device used to condense substance form its gaseous form to liquid form. The capacitor is a passive, two-terminal electrical component that stores potential energy in an electric field.

If this was my car i would install an HEI ignition system, not a mopar electronic ignition even if it was free. As far as interfacing either to the car...i am sure one of the experts on here has a mopar performace engine BOOK that has the procedures for the electronic ignition wiring changeover and will scan pages for you...it's a crap shoot if you don't have this good info
BTW the best spark plug wires are firecore brand, anything else is waste of money, Proven performance not an opinion

If this was my car i would install an HEI ignition system, not a mopar electronic ignition even if it was free. As far as interfacing either to the car...i am sure one of the experts on here has a mopar performace engine BOOK that has the procedures for the electronic ignition wiring changeover and will scan pages for you...it's a crap shoot if you don't have this good info
BTW the best spark plug wires are firecore brand, anything else is waste of money, Proven performance not an opinion

What about this kit?MOPAR383 400 361 HiPo Electronic Ignition Kit Plymouth Dodge BRASS BLACK CAP | eBay

The "Dead Dodge Garage" YouTuber has a simple schematic of how to replace the Chrysler box with a GM HEI module. Just some wires. Using the HEI module is how Davis Unified Ignition began his business, years ago. In some cases, the HEI module was mounted in the open air, to keep it cool, on the back of the distributor housing.

As simple and common as the GM HEI module might be, it apparently has some pretty neat features, but the OEM version seems to also have an output decline over about 4500rpm, which the aftermarket versions raise. Just need to keep it cool.

In more recent times, Progression Ignition has designed a distributor where the ignition curve can be designed on and implemented on a smart phone. Vac advance levels, too. Plus a theft prevention function. A little pricey, but looks to offer plenty of power and adaptability of the electronics.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

the kit referenced in #32 has a knock off control box - the switching transistor is fake, real switching transistors have an insulator plate that is visible. There are other excellent sources of information besides here so come out of your parents basement and see the world.:eek:

as far as current quality hei hardware retarding the timing at high rpm - that is something from the past not the present. There have been some excellent threads on the hei conversions along with using the 10.00 ford coil - this configuration out performs the mopar product. These are not prom queens you are driving and no one cares what ignition is being run.
Do not be cheap with the spark plug wires, step up and use firecore
no he did not pay me to write that, just the real world facts.:lol:

omg it's from moparts

the kit referenced in #32 has a knock off control box - the switching transistor is fake, real switching transistors have an insulator plate that is visible. There are other excellent sources of information besides here so come out of your parents basement and see the world.:eek:

as far as current quality hei hardware retarding the timing at high rpm - that is something from the past not the present. There have been some excellent threads on the hei conversions along with using the 10.00 ford coil - this configuration out performs the mopar product. These are not prom queens you are driving and no one cares what ignition is being run.
Do not be cheap with the spark plug wires, step up and use firecore
no he did not pay me to write that, just the real world facts.:lol:

omg it's from moparts

The GM HEI module also needs a dab of heat sink grease under it so it does not overheat and fail. Might need to snip off the locating tangs so it'll be flat on its new mounting surface Mentioning this "for the record", no more, no less. FWIW

Thanks for that link and illustration!

CBODY67

Back