1978 NYB, 392 MILES,For the sceptics.

Honestly, I could see a nice one like this sitting in a large warehouse under a blanket with a hundred other C bodies for years and getting some mouse droppings here and there...it happens...that rust might be just surface level rust in the seam from moisture changes in storage over years of sitting. I could live with that and remedy it. But, for me seeing many more pics of this one and video of it moving and running would help the sale. I don't know if that is gonna happen here and with this guy...and yes, it's much easier to pull teeth...

"ceebuddy, post: 711410, member: 3186"]On such a low-mileage car at such a price I would not expect to discover something like this (see arrows)”

I noticed that rust spot along the rocker too and I see the carpet marks as well. It’s a nice looking car but most likely the odometer has been around once or reset.

Also, what’s the code for floor mats? With only 300 miles on the speedo it should have a pristine set of mats in it if they were ordered.

The under hood and undercarriage pics will tell the rest of story but we’ll not likely see them. Of course I could be wrong and it might be that ultra rare NYB prototype I’ve heard of. It’s the only one built with dual exhaust and leanburn/resonator delete.

Show me the "chrome" edges around the front of the ashtray and I'll know immediately if it's 392 or 392+100,000.
Anybody who knows NYB's understand how the chrome gets rubbed off because your hand rubs against it while using the HVAC controls.

Screenshot_2019-02-21-08-07-27.jpg

PicsArt_02-21-08.18.35.jpg

By the way, how many appraisers know how to look at **** like that. None.

Last edited:
On such a low-mileage car at such a price I would not expect to discover something like this (see arrows):
View attachment 262436
I was thinking the same when I saw that photo but really wasn't wanting to dip into this thread at the time. I'd be concerned about whats under that carpet.
Not trying to pi** on anyone's BBQ or say that the car is "useless" but it's a very important issue regardless of the car's pedigree (i f***ing hate using that word).

This thread just passed a week since it was posted...the good, the bad, and the ugly in my opinion:

The good: looks like a nice NYB (we don't know how nice), entertaining thread to follow
The bad: communication is difficult with seller, info limited or shared
The ugly: a member may not get car; we are gonna see it in every auction venue and it will never meet reserve

Well, this alledged 392 mile car has more rust than my 65,000 mile 1978 NYB. Surface rust or not it's still rust! And rust is never easy to remove. I sure would like to see the bottom of the rear quarters and the rocker panels. Like Kip said...where are the original floor mats???? I also wonder what the undercarriage looks like. We need more pictures of the interior and many more of the engine compartment.

The Northeast Barrett Jackson auction at the Mohegan Sun is in June. That will give Richard enough time to hide the rust, get the right stripes on the car and find the right hood ornament and pieces. Find the original gray floor mats. If you think it's worth $50k.....take it to the auction at no reserve and we will see what the car is really worth. I'll be the guy bidding $2,500. It could higher....maybe.

Bob, this car sitting on the grass in the sun or on TV under the lights with the Barrett Jackson followers and more C body nut eyeballs to inspect and scrutinize the claims...true or not... will be telling.

Bob, this car sitting on the grass in the sun or on TV under the lights with the Barrett Jackson followers and more C body nut eyeballs to inspect and scrutinize the claims...true or not... will be telling.

Who knows what will happen....

There might be a lot of drunk guys at B-J with more money then brains that will bid more than the car will be worth in a 100 years from now.

It will not make reserve at any auction but, unfortunately, you'll get another bunch of idiots listing their Formals on eBay for 25 grand saying, But I saw one on TV just like it....

Really interesting how the opinion is now leaning towards 103k miles...

It will not make reserve at any auction but, unfortunately, you'll get another bunch of idiots listing their Formals on eBay for 25 grand saying, But I saw one on TV just like it....

Really interesting how the opinion is now leaning towards 103k miles...

Put it up for auction at no reserve and we'll see what it's really worth!!!

Put it up for auction at no reserve and we'll see what it's really worth!!!

An older and very wise man once told me that his 1928 Rolls Royce was only worth what he could sell it for tomorrow.

A very wise young man (my son) once told me that there was an *** for every seat when it comes to selling cars.

New.Dorker.Added.Sun.Fade.jpg

I'll throw my opinion into the ring. Two 4x4 mudder bubba's taking y'all for the mick.
Remember Barre is way out there in Mass, 'dems hill people! (oh I take that back barre ain't past 91 so they can't claim that bragging rights)

Someone treated the vinyl roof at 300 miles? That's a very big no no.

And as someone point out before "discolored A Pillar covering"
Ad states "Driven home,and to get an inspection sticker three times,the last one being May 1981,and its still attached to the windshield.It has only seen the light of day,3 times since getting that sticker."

10977_7ca5eb06feca2d4d2029ef99de456a25.jpg

View attachment 262497

I'll throw my opinion into the ring. Two 4x4 mudder bubba's taking y'all for the mick.
Remember Barre is way out there in Mass, 'dems hill people! (oh I take that back barre ain't past 91 so they can't claim that bragging rights)

Someone treated the vinyl roof at 300 miles? That's a very big no no.

And as someone point out before "discolored A Pillar covering"
Ad states "Driven home,and to get an inspection sticker three times,the last one being May 1981,and its still attached to the windshield.It has only seen the light of day,3 times since getting that sticker."

View attachment 262503
It did occur to me earlier that one of those dudes in the corner might have a smartphone or computer to help share photos for the seller...But, I let it go.

Not to mention the discolored A Pillar covering....
FWIW ive had 3 78 NYB Salons with gray interiors and ALL of em had prematurely faded/discoloured A pillars esp on the edge closest to the door...... and the gray carpets got brown real quick like mmmhhmm

IMG_8842e.jpg

Back