1978 NYB St Regis questions

Dana Goetz

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a 78 NYB St. Regis and I have a few questions:
1. Anyone know the production number for the St Regis package?
2. The fender tag has a N02 code in the upper right corner. What does that code mean?
3. Does the 440-4 (E85) engine have a catalytic converter?

This car is largely unmolested other than a color change. It even has a functioning lean burn system!

N92 instead of N02 maybe? N92 is what I would expect on a car built for the Canadian market. In 1977 its meaning was "ESA w/o Catalyst" so that answers your third question as well.

Last edited:
It would be nice to see the tag, if you can manage.

I can't download the picture but I'll attach the PDF document showing what I've done so far. The last digit of the vin is also unreadable

Attachments

• FENDER TAG DECODE.pdf
    12.3 KB · Views: 227
I'm looking at buying a 78 NYB St. Regis and I have a few questions:
1. Anyone know the production number for the St Regis package?
2. The fender tag has a N02 code in the upper right corner. What does that code mean?
3. Does the 440-4 (E85) engine have a catalytic converter?

This car is largely unmolested other than a color change. It even has a functioning lean burn system!

In decades of ownership and playing around with Formals, I've never seen a pre 79 Canadian spec car with a catalytic converter. To my knowledge, cats appeared in Canada in 79. So I'm gonna say "no".

Plus, N92 means without catalyst which checks out.

Would the Canadian ESA non-cat cars have a "Non Catalyst" decal on the lh ftont door (near the latch and VIN decal) as the USA cars w/o factory cats did the non-ESA engines (318-2bbl, 360HO, and 400HO) in '76-'77 did?

Just curious,
CBODY67

Wow! An early 1978 NYB for a change, with a Scheduled Production Date of 829! For the real production date, get hold of the door sticker! And clearly Canadian too, with its N92 and the Vehicle Order Number starting with a "C".

On other NYB tags I have seen, including some for the Canadian market, row 4 is pretty standard and goes:

M45 P31 P41 N88 G63 M25

But, if you are really sure about the N in the right-most code, I would say it is N25 "Engine Block Heater". Never seen that on a tag, but this sales code does exist. Codes H23 and N23 as per your PDF are unknown to me.

Wow! An early 1978 NYB for a change, with a Scheduled Production Date of 829! For the real production date, get hold of the door sticker! And clearly Canadian too, with its N92 and the Vehicle Order Number starting with a "C".

On other NYB tags I have seen, including some for the Canadian market, row 4 is pretty standard and goes:

M45 P31 P41 N88 G63 M25

But, if you are really sure about the N in the right-most code, I would say it is N25 "Engine Block Heater". Never seen that on a tag, but this sales code does exist. Codes H23 and N23 as per your PDF are unknown to me.
The NYB here is same color combo as the one my friend purchased recently (not a Canadian car). The strange thing about his car is that its data plate has M51 on it which I have found to be power sunroof (in at least some years) but his car has no visible sunroof but guess one could be hidden under that vinyl roof covering

Back