2016 Carlisle Car Photo's

I have zero issues with owning, driving, and appreciating a Metric, the audacity of driving it onto a show field and thinking you're special because you actually figured out how to install a purple air filter just makes my blood boil.
I was parked next to a HellCat at a cruise the other day and I couldn't believe the amount of attention it got. They started asking me questions about it..... I didn't know anything other than saying "the owner is other there".

I have friends with them and they love them.... I have one friend who has a couple hemi cars that loves to drive his Challenger to the cruises. His 65 Coronet comes out to the shows and his 69 GTX (he bought it new!) is waiting for paint and then it will see some time at the shows. The Challenger gets cruise night and occasional drag strip duty. There's a SRT 300 that gets thrown in the mix as his summer DD. But the Challenger... He just turned 70 and honestly, the Challenger gets him out more than the other cars have in a long time... So that's great.

He's way beyond the purple air cleaner group though.... His car (like his others) is just clean and fast.

That's exactly what I'm talking about John.

And.... you cut off the year and lose half the people at an event.

That's exactly what I'm talking about John.

And.... you cut off the year and lose half the people at an event.
As long as there is space for it... I don't see the problem. I admit there are a lot of enthusiasts who can't work a screwdriver... but they are still part of what keeps this stuff going.

Smaller events may do better with cutoff dates, but to put a big show together and make it profitable enough to get the vendors and sponsorships that made that show for me... I wouldn't change a thing.

Locally, I could always join up with the ricer shows and they would put up with me... But there wouldn't be the same vibe...

Thanks again, Dave, for all of the hospitality...
AFAIAC you are THE FCBO contact for Carlisle...
You and your family were terrific hosts to all us weary (and hot) FCBO attendees.

I admit there are a lot of enthusiasts who can't work a screwdriver... but they are still part of what keeps this stuff going.

That is part of the issue with the new cars for me. I'm lost under the hood of most new cars. A big part of the hobby for me is working on my car and understanding the mechanics of it.

That is part of the issue with the new cars for me. I'm lost under the hood of most new cars. A big part of the hobby for me is working on my car and understanding the mechanics of it.
A fella with your electronics back ground would have few problems after a little reading... everything works the same, but is now an input or an output from the processor... The beauty is in how accurately fuel and timing adjustments are made for every individual firing event.

It was far more difficult to figure out a multi carb setup or dual point distributor...

You older guys have experience that most of the younger guys could benefit from (myself included).

Lots of vendors over that way had stripe kits... sorry, I bought a few detail supplies at a mild discount and moved on... that evening I used the brush car wash to "detail" the parts car... The radio hasn't had reception since I cycled the antenna either... On the way home I was so tired of hearing myself sing,hum,whistle... I wanted to choke myself.

Now you know how we feel. . .

I was parked next to a HellCat at a cruise the other day and I couldn't believe the amount of attention it got. They started asking me questions about it..... I didn't know anything other than saying "the owner is other there".

I have friends with them and they love them.... I have one friend who has a couple hemi cars that loves to drive his Challenger to the cruises. His 65 Coronet comes out to the shows and his 69 GTX (he bought it new!) is waiting for paint and then it will see some time at the shows. The Challenger gets cruise night and occasional drag strip duty. There's a SRT 300 that gets thrown in the mix as his summer DD. But the Challenger... He just turned 70 and honestly, the Challenger gets him out more than the other cars have in a long time... So that's great.

He's way beyond the purple air cleaner group though.... His car (like his others) is just clean and fast.

Having the opportunity to drive Hellcats, Vipers and SRT cars is great but none of them give me the same feeling as all 4 barrels opening on a 440 at WOT. Even if it takes 10 seconds longer to go the quarter mile I just don't get THAT feeling in anything made today. I am quite alright with having the modern car as a DD but it's just a DD to me. When I want to enjoy being behind the wheel I do that in the '66 or the '70. Now if I want to enjoy being behind the wheel and have a DD then it's gonna be a '79 300 T-Top...... Mopar or NoCar means something to me whether it's old or new if you got one you are my kinda people.

I have zero issues with owning, driving, and appreciating a Metric, the audacity of driving it onto a show field and thinking you're special because you actually figured out how to install a purple air filter just makes my blood boil.
Watch 10,20 or 30 years from now (like our cars are) when all of these metrics **** the bed, those same guys who only know how to put on a purple aircleaner will be screwed! I guess we'll have the last laugh then.

Now if I want to enjoy being behind the wheel and have a DD then it's gonna be a '79 300 T-Top...... Mopar or NoCar means something to me whether it's old or new if you got one you are my kinda people.
There was a 79 300 for sale with t tops at Carlisle. $8900 nice car too.

Is that anything like Canadian money, or is it worth something ? :poke:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :D

Just think...pay "Formal" price and in Canadian....that's like getting it for free anywhere else...except mb Greece

I'm reviving this 3 year old thread, just to say I am gonna try to make it (with Blu) to Carlisle... Even if I make it a 6 day trip and drive slow.

Back