2020 WPC Detroit Swap Meet

Carmine

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Didn't see a thread for this, so I guess I'll make one... This year was a little off for me by way of a few things:

1) Shoulder surgery on 1/23 meant any "finds" would be lightweight in nature. No dragging a 4bbl intake through 50k sq. ft. of display space. (Unless I found something unobtainium on the cheap... then I would have called in favors!)

2) I am really trying to limit my car projects and concentrate on moving to a house that will allow me the real "shop" I need. Probably like many of you, I have so many ideas for projects and not nearly the time to do them. But part of that is needing to keep the actual garage clear just in case something goes down on a "daily driver".

So, hopeful I've set the bar low enough. I think these finds were still fun, and every single one coincidentally was $5!

541450_2358794655983730688_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ohc=VzeYmKHt4XgAX8q1f-3&_nc_ht=scontent.fyip1-1.jpg

You know how somebody is always selling non-car related stuff at meets? Well I just rewarded that behavior and bought an Isaac Hayes double album. As an aside, "Theme for Shaft" won the best-song Oscar in 1971. Not only performed, but composed by Hayes, with assists from Quincy Jones. It really combines the best of "soul" with a full orchestra. Then I bought reflective 400 stickers... I might put them somewhere on a piece of RMB stainless trim, just for kicks. The MCG was free and I told the guy hawking subscriptions that I used to subscribe, but let it lapse when Rob Wolf basically said C-bodies were donors (this was in the mid 90s). He said "buh, buh, Sport Fury GT!!!" and I said "yeah, I know... not enough."

901884_4082390067232899072_o.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ohc=Ozdi6QymydUAX-BFRE9&_nc_ht=scontent.fyip1-1.jpg

Chrysler Tech Center 1991 Grand Opening plastic mugs. 3-4-$5 I was there in real life, fresh from H.S.! Now it's a 60 mile a day round trip.

942060_1484957600830193664_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ohc=rKhrOWOPFWEAX9yOo12&_nc_ht=scontent.fyip1-1.jpg

Roadrunner latch-hook rug kit for my kid.

5179641_432786382490959872_o.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ohc=59naqG7xw8sAX-duytZ&_nc_ht=scontent.fyip1-1.jpg

Well how could I not buy this? And a patch to sexy-up an old satin baseball jacket I like to wear in the spring.

Didn't see a thread for this, so I guess I'll make one... This year was a little off for me by way of a few things:

1) Shoulder surgery on 1/23 meant any "finds" would be lightweight in nature. No dragging a 4bbl intake through 50k sq. ft. of display space. (Unless I found something unobtainium on the cheap... then I would have called in favors!)

2) I am really trying to limit my car projects and concentrate on moving to a house that will allow me the real "shop" I need. Probably like many of you, I have so many ideas for projects and not nearly the time to do them. But part of that is needing to keep the actual garage clear just in case something goes down on a "daily driver".

So, hopeful I've set the bar low enough. I think these finds were still fun, and every single one coincidentally was $5!

View attachment 351981

You know how somebody is always selling non-car related stuff at meets? Well I just rewarded that behavior and bought an Isaac Hayes double album. As an aside, "Theme for Shaft" won the best-song Oscar in 1971. Not only performed, but composed by Hayes, with assists from Quincy Jones. It really combines the best of "soul" with a full orchestra. Then I bought reflective 400 stickers... I might put them somewhere on a piece of RMB stainless trim, just for kicks. The MCG was free and I told the guy hawking subscriptions that I used to subscribe, but let it lapse when Rob Wolf basically said C-bodies were donors (this was in the mid 90s). He said "buh, buh, Sport Fury GT!!!" and I said "yeah, I know... not enough."

View attachment 351982

Chrysler Tech Center 1991 Grand Opening plastic mugs. 3-4-$5 I was there in real life, fresh from H.S.! Now it's a 60 mile a day round trip.

View attachment 351983

Roadrunner latch-hook rug kit for my kid.

View attachment 351984

Well how could I not buy this? And a patch to sexy-up an old satin baseball jacket I like to wear in the spring.

Carmine: I'm right there with ya. At Carlisle last year, I bought a set of glass tumblers containing both a Miss Piggy glass and a Road Runner glass.

It was nice to see you and would’ve been nice to hang with you longer. I was pretty preoccupied with the decision of my pending purchase at that moment and had been leaning heavily on our friend there for the last few days since being presented the opportunity. ;)
I closed the deal shortly after loading parts back into my van.

It was nice to see you and would’ve been nice to hang with you longer. I was pretty preoccupied with the decision of my pending purchase at that moment and had been leaning heavily on our friend there for the last few days since being presented the opportunity. ;)
I closed the deal shortly after loading parts back into my van.

Yeah, when I saw your post, I figured our mutual friend must have played a role!

Really? They don't try to collect taxes or anything? That's good to hear.
If you are a prick or suspicious, they can and will, it's up to their discretion.

I've dragged entire cars across and not paid tax....

Other people I know have had two bags of stuff they've bought while shopping and have had to go to secondary and provide everything but a stool sample.

Rule #1 is be honest and don't self contradict, they can ask me 3 times or 3000 times and the answer will be the same, and will be delivered in the same tone and volume.

People dig their own Graves.

Nick

Ah, CTC cups. They had popcorn in them!
I got there in September, 1991, part of the 2nd group there. (chassis)
I have a few 1988 mugs from a Chelsea Open House someplace, too.
And some Highland Park swag from the open houses there....

Ah, CTC cups. They had popcorn in them!
I got there in September, 1991, part of the 2nd group there. (chassis)
I have a few 1988 mugs from a Chelsea Open House someplace, too.
And some Highland Park swag from the open houses there....

I think the seller had 1988 Chelsea cups as well. They tempted me.

My family went to that open house and thought the expressway ride would be good "wheel time" for me on my learners permit. One of the few places my parents indulged me was allowing me to purchase a car before my 16th birthday, so we rode in my car, a 1969 Chrysler 300 4drhtp. Little did they know that upon arrival at the Chelsea open house, you didn't immediately park... You got waved along until you ended up on the high speed oval! There really wasn't a place to pull over, not to mention a big line behind me, so there we were... riding along the track with a 15 y/o me at the wheel. 11 years later, I was doing the same thing in Arizona (for pay this time!)

I think the seller had 1988 Chelsea cups as well. They tempted me.

My family went to that open house and thought the expressway ride would be good "wheel time" for me on my learners permit. One of the few places my parents indulged me was allowing me to purchase a car before my 16th birthday, so we rode in my car, a 1969 Chrysler 300 4drhtp. Little did they know that upon arrival at the Chelsea open house, you didn't immediately park... You got waved along until you ended up on the high speed oval! There really wasn't a place to pull over, not to mention a big line behind me, so there we were... riding along the track with a 15 y/o me at the wheel. 11 years later, I was doing the same thing in Arizona (for pay this time!)
We were there too, I think in a Mirada CMX. Being on that track was way Kool.

We were there too, I think in a Mirada CMX. Being on that track was way Kool.

YESSSS! I think I'm going to campaign for another all-employee-welcome open house at Chelsea. They did it a few other years as well because I was a passenger in an Omni and a Caravan in other years.

I opened up my '87 Omni America 2.2, 5 speed on the oval, burying the speedo going down the back straight.
Of course, it only went to 95, but the needle was coming around to 0 !!! lol
Thinking 110 - 115 maybe?? I was just holding it up by the guard rail, with 120 required to let go of the wheel. My dad **** his pants!!!

I found several things for my Charger and Challenger projects. I almost bought the nicely chromed 70' Road Runner rear bumper that was on the ground under a table but that project is way down the list.

Back