2023 the year of no progress for the ‘68

Isaiah,

If sound financial advice is what you’re looking for here, then get out of the old car hobby. From a purely financial perspective, and as much as I hate to say it, Jakter is not wrong. You will likely not come out ahead financially speaking on these cars.
I'm not talking about making money on the car.
I'm saying I'd sell the project, bank the money and save every bit I could and buy a house or condo instead of having a project languish for what could be years.

Believe me free storage sounds great until it runs into months and years of sitting there.

From his comment of having $20 or $30 dollars left at the end of the pay period it would benefit him to sell whatever he can, which would be an unfinished project car, work towards buying instead of renting first and worry about toys when financially able to.

Been there, done that.
What I sold off at 20yo hurt a hell of a lot more than a in pieces project that has been sitting for years.

I bought my first house at 21yo and never regretted the decision.

You're the poster boy for why it's a bad decision for the OP to hang onto the project.
You've paid for years of storage for projects that are still not roadworthy today.
I haven't paid for storage for the car I've had for twenty five years, so it cost me nothing, you twisted that one to suite your argument.

I have paid for storage for projects that are indeed not roadworthy, luckily I have super cheap storage, and I'm okay with the money I've spent.
Why don't you tell us what has prevented you from having your projects plated, insured and ready to be driven anywhere with the turn of the key today?
If you actually read my posts, or threads about my cars, you'd see a pattern of me buying cars when I could instead of putting that money into one car. I got my Polara to flip, and it instead started my love of '66 Dodge C body cars. I wouldn't change that for anything. So I kept buying more cars when I could while still working on the ones I already had. I don't care if they are showroom quality cars, I get more enjoyment from my Scruffy fleet than I would a fresh restoration. I still hope to restore my four speed car, but if it doesn't happen I won't be upset, the car will get driven.

I have two cars I can get in and go, another that needs some wiring and it'll be back on the road. Some of the cars I wanted to get on the road will become donors for the four speed, the greater good philosophy. No one wants to sell a solid car for cheap, so I'll cut up a car I got for cheap with no title to make one car with good sheet metal. They are all.plated but the one with no title, so that's not an issue, and I never need to pay for registration again.

I didn't care about having a bunch of money, it's not that important to me as long as I can cover my bills and have some fun as well. I didn't actually start building my credit or bank account until my early 30's, and again, I'm fine with that. Known my house free and clear.

I had to buy whole cars to get the parts I wanted, and I sell off the parts I don't use. It's worked out well for me to have the spares I need, and a side hustle for what I don't. I only had three old cars until 2018 when I started buying more that were good deals, like my '68 Monaco 500 that gave me 10k miles in two years before I sold it, and turned my focus back to my '66 Dodges.

If I was 20 all over again, I don't know if I'd change anything, I've enjoyed my life so far, and my love of old cars has led me to many great friendships with people all across the country. If I would have sold that Dart years ago, I don't think I'd be as happy as I am today, but who knows, you can't predict what didn't happen.

I will agree that these cars are a money pit, but it doesn't mean one has to sell just because there isn't a bunch of resources at the moment. To each his own.

Does any of this matter to Isaiah and his situation? No, not at all. But I'd love to visit him and take a ride in his lowrider when he's done.

Last edited:
Hi, There will come a time (shortly) when you won't have neither the time or money for the project. I won't tell you what to do, It will become apparent after the first one is born.

Well no matter what anyone says, the car is staying. I’m going to finish it and I’m going to drive it. Although it’s true I’m left with little at the end of each week, it’s cause i have my priorities set straight. I save enough for the family, rent and yes - even some for the car.

I’ll decide when and if i sell it. Chances are I won’t though:) I put in way too much work to let someone else take it and make it fugly :steering:

It’s true, the car has gotten a lot of criticism and hate from purists but at the end of the day the car ain’t worth much and was gonna be sent to the crusher anyways! I saved it, and I’m making it look way nicer than most of the 2 door New Yorkers that get turned into ugly “muscle cars” with fat tires and god awful plain hubcaps. The New Yorker is gonna be classy, elegant and you bet it’ll be fast too. Some of us have different tastes and it’s cool. I’m excited to see how mine will turn out!

I haven't paid for storage for the car I've had for twenty five years, so it cost me nothing, you twisted that one to suite your argument.

I have paid for storage for projects that are indeed not roadworthy, luckily I have super cheap storage, and I'm okay with the money I've spent.

If you actually read my posts, or threads about my cars, you'd see a pattern of me buying cars when I could instead of putting that money into one car. I got my Polara to flip, and it instead started my love of '66 Dodge C body cars. I wouldn't change that for anything. So I kept buying more cars when I could while still working on the ones I already had. I don't care if they are showroom quality cars, I get more enjoyment from my Scruffy fleet than I would a fresh restoration. I still hope to restore my four speed car, but if it doesn't happen I won't be upset, the car will get driven.

I have two cars I can get in and go, another that needs some wiring and it'll be back on the road. Some of the cars I wanted to get on the road will become donors for the four speed, the greater good philosophy. No one wants to sell a solid car for cheap, so I'll cut up a car I got for cheap with no title to make one car with good sheet metal. They are all.plated but the one with no title, so that's not an issue, and I never need to pay for registration again.

I didn't care about having a bunch of money, it's not that important to me as long as I can cover my bills and have some fun as well. I didn't actually start building my credit or bank account until my early 30's, and again, I'm fine with that. Known my house free and clear.

I had to buy whole cars to get the parts I wanted, and I sell off the parts I don't use. It's worked out well for me to have the spares I need, and a side hustle for what I don't. I only had three old cars until 2018 when I started buying more that were good deals, like my '68 Monaco 500 that gave me 10k miles in two years before I sold it, and turned my focus back to my '66 Dodges.

If I was 20 all over again, I don't know if I'd change anything, I've enjoyed my life so far, and my love of old cars has led me to many great friendships with people all across the country. If I would have sold that Dart years ago, I don't think I'd be as happy as I am today, but who knows, you can't predict what didn't happen.

I will agree that these cars are a money pit, but it doesn't mean one has to sell just because there isn't a bunch of resources at the moment. To each his own.

Does any of this matter to Isaiah and his situation? No, not at all. But I'd love to visit him and take a ride in his lowrider when he's done.

LOL , again you're the poster boy for what not to do at age 22yo, newly married with a baby on the way.

Looks like other than myself, there is one other poster here who isn't blowing smoke up his butt, but being honest to the OP about adult life.

Well no matter what anyone says, the car is staying. I’m going to finish it and I’m going to drive it. Although it’s true I’m left with little at the end of each week, it’s cause i have my priorities set straight. I save enough for the family, rent and yes - even some for the car.

I’ll decide when and if i sell it. Chances are I won’t though:) I put in way too much work to let someone else take it and make it fugly :steering:

Right on. Ignore the naysayers and haters and don't sideline your passion.

It took me 20 years to finish my first car restoration, starting when I was 16. I think I elaborated about that in another one of your threads....

Back