2023 the year of no progress for the ‘68

Isaiah Estrada

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
As 2023 comes to a close, I must lament the fact that my 68 looks pretty much the same way it did exactly a year ago. Only, a lot more dusty and crusty from sitting.

2023 was a wild and busy year! When I got the new job at Okonite in January - it sent me in a downward spiral in terms of having time for the car. Granted, it’s a great job - but I’m just getting older and having less time for my hobby.

Guess I’m just having trouble adjusting to the sad reality of what used to be my pride and joy has now turned into more of something that just makes me stressed out to think about!

I tried hard to have this baby driving a long time ago. Although the car is still in a million pieces, my life has changed almost completely but for the better!

The wife and I are happily married, and we recently even got our very own place! It’s been nice, but sadly there is no garage. Regardless, we at least have our own space and now have the room for our little baby boy to be born here soon!

I’ve always had ups and downs with this project, at times even wanted to sell it. Now I fear selling it may be a necessity. I know if I do sell it, I’ll likely never be able to get another cool old car ever. Ever since I was small the old cars have been my passion, yet I’ve never even driven an old Mopar or ridden in a C Body LOL. I had big hopes for this thing. I hope maybe in 2024 things can look up for this old project of mine - now 4 years in the works.

IMG_2102.jpeg

It took me twelve years to finish my 70 El Camino. There are a lot of long haul projects owned by folks here too. Do whatever you can to keep your dream. Things always change when you get married, if you're doing it right. If your wife loves you like she says she does she'll help you with your dream. I went from a single mid thirties home owner to husband and dad in one fell swoop. I sold an 87 SS Aerocoupe Monte Carlo to pay for our wedding. I almost sold my El Camino too. She said "that car isn't going anywhere, we'll figure it out" that's one reason I married her.
Here's a few rules I live by.... God first, family second, work/responsibilities, then hobby. He'll help you and your family take care of the rest.
Good luck and Merry Christmas.

As 2023 comes to a close, I must lament the fact that my 68 looks pretty much the same way it did exactly a year ago. Only, a lot more dusty and crusty from sitting.

2023 was a wild and busy year! When I got the new job at Okonite in January - it sent me in a downward spiral in terms of having time for the car. Granted, it’s a great job - but I’m just getting older and having less time for my hobby.

Guess I’m just having trouble adjusting to the sad reality of what used to be my pride and joy has now turned into more of something that just makes me stressed out to think about!

- now 4 years in the works.
Isaiah,
I bought my Polara in 1987, drove it until 1992. It sat mostly together until 2014 when my youngest graduated. It's been back on the road since 2015. I don't worry about "finishing it" anymore. I just drive it like it is, pic below. This car is 35 years in the works.
I really hope you can find a way to keep your car.

jim

PXL_20231031_230909481.jpg

I still have my Dart that I got twenty-five years ago. Hauled it with me every time I moved, and it's currently just a shell. I have parts stored for it, and have the hope it sees the road soon-ish.

You've already done a lot to the car, and it's not that far from being drivable, it's closer than you think. I feel where you're coming from though, I didn't do much with my cars this year.

Hang in there. This is a new chapter of your life. Priorities change. It’s still important to have a hobby you enjoy, as long as it doesn’t get in the way of your main responsibilities. Break the work down to smaller increments when you have the time to do it.

Isaiah,
Think of the glass as half full. As Locomob stated you have accomplished a great deal since you started. 2024 was a 'breather' for you when it came to the '68. Many things (all good) happened for you this year, so it only makes sense that some projects were sidelined.
Justin Plant said it best:
Here's a few rules I live by.... God first, family second, work/responsibilities, then hobby. He'll help you and your family take care of the rest.
Good luck and Merry Christmas.
Stay focused.
Merry Christmas
Omni

I tried hard to have this baby driving a long time ago. Although the car is still in a million pieces, my life has changed almost completely but for the better!

The wife and I are happily married, and we recently even got our very own place! It’s been nice, but sadly there is no garage. Regardless, we at least have our own space and now have the room for our little baby boy to be born here soon!

I’ve always had ups and downs with this project, at times even wanted to sell it. Now I fear selling it may be a necessity. I know if I do sell it, I’ll likely never be able to get another cool old car ever. Ever since I was small the old cars have been my passion, yet I’ve never even driven an old Mopar or ridden in a C Body LOL. I had big hopes for this thing. I hope maybe in 2024 things can look up for this old project of mine - now 4 years in the works.

View attachment 634308
Congratulations!

DO NOT SELL IT! You will kick yourself for decades.

Congratulations! I could not add any better comments that what has already been said. I do hope you can hold onto the car and start working on it again. I have had mine for over four years and I just got it road worthy about 5 months ago.

IMG_3337.jpeg

Thank you all for the support and advice! I know my life’s changes as of late have all been great ones and I can only thank god for the blessings he’s given me.

I have a beautiful wife, a home for us and a baby boy aka a future Mopar enthusiast on the way!!

Things at the moment (as I’ve said) seem awfully bleak for the Chrysler. It seems I’ve got only $20-30 spending money left after I put money aside for rent, bills and groceries. Sometimes even less before the next check comes.

I’m not normal for me to post too deep into my life, but at the moment everything seems to be so overwhelming! Lots of change. It seems only yesterday I saw that 68 for the first time. Now it’s been nearly 4 years and I am a changed young man.

I’m still only 22 but wow, I feel like I’ve lived even longer LOL.

I have been contemplating so hard to let someone with the money and the time get her going.

I toughed it out for 13years.
Had the car for 18 years now.
Like yourself there were times I did not touch the BoaB for a whole year.
Through hard financial times, job layoffs, divorce,and working on other cars to keep afloat,
BoaB was like an old friend that was simply still there waiting for me.
Even if I spent an hour after work tinkering, it was free therapy from the daily grind.
So, dont give up, be persistent and most of all be patient.
Someday when you finish that car, you can put your son on your lap and let him grab the wheel.
The sense of accomplishment can make a man proud.

1000000466.jpg

Life has ups and downs. I don’t see any downs for you, just life’s things happening.

DO NOT SELL. It will be there for you in the future and it will be a great day To finish it up. If you sell it the money will be gone and your car will all be just a distant memory.

the economy is bad now and it’s eaten up any extra money, now it seems insurance is taking it turn it going up ALOT.

projects that go together quickly only exist on television...i have a 57 VW that i haven't turned a wrench on since 1980...a 70 chevy stepside that was my daily driver since 75 that i started a resto on in 1994 that still isn't done...it got painted and everything but the bed done during the 2007+ recession only cause I had absolutely no work at my shop...and no money either so everything got done in the cheapest but most labor intensive way...haven't touched that since i moved here 10 yrs ago...the wife's Fury has been a driver since 2000 but enough stuff built up that an exhaust system 2 or 3 yrs ago morphed into a full engine rebuild and evaporator core replacement and i just found all the stuff to rebuild the a/c compressor....so hopefully it will be "done" in the spring and I can finally get back to the pickup....bottom line is life, money and kids take precedence over car projects...daily drivers, home renovations and watching your kids play sports come first...be thankful you got as much done as you have so far...i don't remember exactly how far along you got it but if you have to bail out of it at least get it to run and drive and make it as complete as possible or you wont get much for it...and make sure you really like it so it doesn't turn into " why did i take 20 years to build this when i really wanted a ------?''

Last edited:
I collected all of my stuff while I was single. I knew deep down, once I found my girlfriend and had to actually work on making a life for us, the expendable income would diminish. I've picked my keepers. I have pretty much everything I need to redo them, and one at a time they will get done. I'm in no rush.

Don't sell it. The money is spent, you will never get what you have in back out likely, but the only way that would come close to happening is a finished car.

Finish it as time allows. I didnt really touch 3 of my 5 C bodies this year. My green 2dr 71 never even seen sunlight.

Keep. Going. Life first though.

Cut your losses and sell the car as is. It will only become a thorn in your side the longer you keep it.

You're 22yo, recently married with a child on the way or here already and renting an apartment/house.

Your focus at this point should be towards saving for your own home.
The mistake is already made by taking apart a car that looked like it wasn't too far away from being road worthy, if the picture of the car on the trailer is when you bought it.

You are young, you'll have plenty of time for toys when you can better afford them.

Isaiah, don't listen to jakter, he hates life, and wants everyone to suffer his fate. He lacks vision like you have. You've come so far with the car, its not that far from being roadworthy. The hardest parts are in the past, it really won't take too much time to get to the finish line, and take it for its maiden voyage. Plug away when you can, and it will be ready for you when needed.

Isaiah, don't listen to jakter, he hates life, and wants everyone to suffer his fate. He lacks vision like you have. You've come so far with the car, its not that far from being roadworthy. The hardest parts are in the past, it really won't take too much time to get to the finish line, and take it for its maiden voyage. Plug away when you can, and it will be ready for you when needed.

No.

Back