3 Speed Cast Iron Torqueflite internal differences ?

Bucket

Reaction score
The 3 speed gearbox out of my 61 Newport is the cast iron TF with the cable with wheel adjustment .
It had self imploded .
I managed to get another gearbox the same but it is fairly sad as well .
I may be able to get a earlier 3 speed with the earlier push button cable set up for parts if suitable .
My question is are there any internal differences for parts between the later and earlier 3 speed cast iron Torqueflites ?
Engine is 361 BB with 8 bolt crank .
Someone told me i can get a adapter flex plate for the 8 bolt crank and use the 62-65 aluminium TF and convertor .
Is this correct ?
Would my push button cable mate with the 62 -65 aluminium TF .
Cheers,
Greg

I sent you a personal message concerning a resource to contact to answer your questions and if you need a rebuild of your cast iron Torqueflite, there is no one better.

The after market adapter contains a flange adapter for the crank hub, flex plate and adapter ring for the transmission. That will get the '62'65 transmission bolted into the car. That is unfortunately only the start of your problems. The earlier cars have the park brake drum incorporated onto the tail shaft of the transmissions. The '62 A-727 is the only aluminium torqueflite that has the park brake assembly so you would need to use that year transmission for the conversion. The later Mopars used a cable park brake to engage the rear wheel brakes. You can't do that with the '61 full contact brakes. You will also need to have a custom drive line fabricated to adapt the '62 transmission. The cable systems also changed with the introduction of the aluminum transmission to accommodate the "Park" setting. I think you would be better served to rebuild your cast iron transmission.

Dave

So does anyone no about changeability of internal parts between early and late model cast iron TF's ?

There were two cast iron automatics in use at that time, the Power Flyte and the Torqueflite. Power Flite parts do not interchange with the torqueflite. The cast iron torqueflite, thru most of its production run, used mostly the same internals. This transmission had a removable bell housing to adapt it to various engines. Some years also had different tail shafts. Most of the internals, such as clutch drums, bands and friction plates were pretty much the same. The valve bodies and governors had different shift points built in depending on the engine application and gear ratio of the rear end. If you are using hard parts from a transmission that was on the same engine as yours, 361 cid, everything should interchange, but be advised you should check the parts manual to verify for the parts you need to use as there were subtle improvements to many parts over the production run. Most of the updated parts would still fit the older transmissions. You can down load the parts manuals for free at www.mymopar.com. You will find them in the manuals/reference section from the home page.

Dave

Did yours have an explosion? Why do you need a parts trans? The 1961 cast iron torqueflight was the best of the bunch. The valve body and shift related things were updated. They had one case for 56,57,58 and then the cases changed for 59,60,61.

where do you live? I’m not familiar with gympie

Did yours have an explosion? Why do you need a parts trans? The 1961 cast iron torqueflight was the best of the bunch. The valve body and shift related things were updated. They had one case for 56,57,58 and then the cases changed for 59,60,61.

where do you live? I’m not familiar with gympie
Gympie is in QLD Australia .
Yes it had an inside explosion of sorts .
One of the governor screws had come out and made a mess back there.
The sprag had broken and made a mess .
The bands are beyond refurbishing .
The front pump is stuffed as the gearbox hadn't been running true .
Too much to mention .

Ok Australia, trans damage sounds bad. Save the valve body from it.

There were two cast iron automatics in use at that time, the Power Flyte and the Torqueflite. Power Flite parts do not interchange with the torqueflite. The cast iron torqueflite, thru most of its production run, used mostly the same internals. This transmission had a removable bell housing to adapt it to various engines. Some years also had different tail shafts. Most of the internals, such as clutch drums, bands and friction plates were pretty much the same. The valve bodies and governors had different shift points built in depending on the engine application and gear ratio of the rear end. If you are using hard parts from a transmission that was on the same engine as yours, 361 cid, everything should interchange, but be advised you should check the parts manual to verify for the parts you need to use as there were subtle improvements to many parts over the production run. Most of the updated parts would still fit the older transmissions. You can down load the parts manuals for free at www.mymopar.com. You will find them in the manuals/reference section from the home page.

Dave
I have found a early 59 box , just have to go and check it out .
It has the early push button shift cable .
So can i use the case from the 61 and internals from the 59 to hopefully make one good box ?
As 413 said to save the valve body from the 61 , could this be used with the 59 internals ?

I have found a early 59 box , just have to go and check it out .
It has the early push button shift cable .
So can i use the case from the 61 and internals from the 59 to hopefully make one good box ?
As 413 said to save the valve body from the 61 , could this be used with the 59 internals ?

Should not be a problem.

Dave

Back