300-H HURST nerd stuff...

I wrote it down ;-)

CM23U "0C194408"

As mentioned I have the fender tag

Carsten
Stupid me! Do you have the VON to go with that VIN?

I'm compiling a spreadsheet that you and @69CoronetRT and @Fury Pursuit and @cm23uoc and @SportFury70 and all you other nerds can provide me with whatever info that you have that I don't have. @ayilar and I have discussed having this database hosted somewhere (on Cbod?) so others in the distant future can add to it.

Here's a screenshot of where I am with it, and I am out of new info at this time. So feed it to me!
View attachment 656935

Last edited:
"479".

Was for sale more than six years ago
I don't have a 479 on my list. Please explain.

Also, I put any relatable factoid I have about a car in Notes to help keep track. For instance 211518 that has been floating around Florida for years, looking for a buyer. It's old info, but the last info is that it was in Davie.

I don't have a 479 on my list. Please explain.

Also, I put any relatable factoid I have about a car in Notes to help keep track. For instance 211518 that has been floating around Florida for years, looking for a buyer. It's old info, but the last info is that it was in Davie.
it is J99479
regular production Hurst seem all to have the "J99" as the beginning

Carsten

I'm sorry...this piecemeal approach to numbers isn't getting me anywhere, so I'll take a specific guess as to what you're trying to tell me across these posts:

"VIN CM23U0C194408 has a VON of J99479. It was For Sale about six years ago." Yes?

Do you have anything else on it, such as door date, options, where it was when being sold, etc?

I'm sorry...this piecemeal approach to numbers isn't getting me anywhere, so I'll take a specific guess as to what you're trying to tell me across these posts:

"VIN CM23U0C194408 has a VON of J99479. It was For Sale about six years ago." Yes?

Do you have anything else on it, such as door date, options, where it was when being sold, etc?
I am sorry, no bad intention from my side with the "piecemeal". I am used to it with some other guys I exchange tags on certain models (C500:Daytonas,Birds, A12) etc as each of us knows what is meant.

I do not have a door sticker etc

Carsten

Understood. We all use shortcuts amongst our regulars, but I didn’t want this Hurst database to get bad info THIS early in its creation. ‍ I didn’t understand if 479 was the last three of a VIN or a VON, thus the confusion.

I will update the 4-15-24 with your 479 info and Edit.

To all with new Hurst info please send to this thread and I’ll update accordingly, including a new date code. In a few weeks I’ll start a new thread called Hurst Build Database and continue to update Post #1, which will be the spreadsheet. Hopefully that can be a living post, much like the wonderful “More Classic Pictures” thread.

Stupid me! Do you have the VON to go with that VIN?

I'm compiling a spreadsheet that you and @69CoronetRT and @Fury Pursuit and @cm23uoc and @SportFury70 and all you other nerds can provide me with whatever info that you have that I don't have. @ayilar and I have discussed having this database hosted somewhere (on Cbod?) so others in the distant future can add to it.
... So feed it to me!

1) Who you calling 'nerd'?
2) IF we feed you more, will you share the results in a spreadsheet, not a screen shot, with the rest of us?

1) Who you calling 'nerd'?
2) IF we feed you more, will you share the results in a spreadsheet, not a screen shot, with the rest of us?
My original thoughts (with @ayilar) was to share the sheet with anyone on Cbody, and/or have it posted so that it can be accessible to all of "us" members. My preference is that it is hosted/protected publicly so that if someone knowledgeable (like yourself) adds to it, we all can see it in real time. I absolutely do consider it a public doc.

I'm not sure how best to do that just now, which is why I said "send me your info, I'll update that info and the date, and post the sheet to a new thread in a couple of weeks." If it's not hosted, I'm continue to update like I'm doing now and put the edited screenshot image into a standalone "Hurst" post as I discussed above. Again, definitely trying to be "public". Regardless, anyone who wants my spreadsheet can have it, but I doubt any of us wants multiple versions floating around. From my engineering career, it's called "document control" so that someone building the space shuttle doesn't get old, bad info from an outdated blueprint. Oops!

Notice that I just added the "479" info for 194408 from fc7 and changed the date. This is my intent for the time being for those of you I've reached out to for fresh info. Going forward, I was thinking of adding another column that indicates who provided the info so that good discussions can take place regarding details (or errors). Thoughts?

@Toolmanmike, do you have a suggestion for how Cbod can host a living doc, please?

Last edited:
My original thoughts (with @ayilar) was to share the sheet with anyone on Cbody, and/or have it posted so that it can be accessible to all of "us" members. My preference is that it is hosted/protected publicly so that if someone knowledgeable (like yourself) adds to it, we all can see it in real time. I absolutely do consider it a public doc.

I'm not sure how best to do that just now, which is why I said "send me your info, I'll update that info and the date, and post the sheet to a new thread in a couple of weeks." If it's not hosted, I'm continue to update like I'm doing now and put the edited screenshot image into a standalone "Hurst" post as I discussed above. Again, definitely trying to be "public". Regardless, anyone who wants my spreadsheet can have it, but I doubt any of us wants multiple versions floating around. From my engineering career, it's called "document control" so that someone building the space shuttle doesn't get old, bad info from an outdated blueprint. Oops!

Notice that I just added the "479" info for 194408 from fc7 and changed the date. This is my intend for the time being for those of you I've reached out to for fresh info. Going forward, I was thinking of adding another column that indicates who provided the info so that good discussions can take place regarding details (or errors). Thoughts?

@Toolmanmike, do you have a suggestion for how Cbod can host a living doc, please?
I like it! @polara71 did something similar for the 1970 Polara convertibles, and posted his spreadsheet on the Polara / Yahoo board back in 2008.

Polara Dave's information (as well as other posts on that Yahoo board, especially those by @Fratzog and a few others) was invaluable to me when I started looking for a 1970 Polara 'vert, and I have been updating the spreadsheet with information about all the sales that I have learned of for a number of years. @fc7_plumcrazy @polara71 @71Polara383 @70 Sport Suburban and @67newport have been wonderful spotters/sources, and several other members have helped me too.

As a way to pay back, I have thought of making my spreadsheet publicly available by posting it -- but doing so raises some issues:

1. who gets to contribute/edit the document? I always vet my own additions with Dave and Wyatt, because we are all human and so we all make mistakes. A wiki-type doc is good, but requires someone to have overriding authority. This raises issues when folks lose interest or decline in health.

2. what if the person who uploads the spreadsheet stops paying the hosting fees for whatever reason, or if the site that accepts to host it either goes under or is sold to a new owner who decides to capture/delete the documents? Everything that is posted on a board like FCBO becomes the property of the site owner. I trust @Joeychgo but one day he might not be the one making the call.

To wit, the Yahoo board is now defunct due to a business decision by Yahoo to get rid of all boards, which means the info is not there anymore. Polara Dave's spreadsheet is on an old computer of his, and the machine may or may not fire up when he finally turns it back on so that I can see the updates on his side (yeah, I'm looking at you, Mister D. -- how many months have elapsed since you moved back east?:poke:). For the same reason, I have shared my updated spreadsheet with Dave, with @71Polara383 and with @69CoronetRT because it is unlikely that all four of us will get hit by the same bolt of lightning. BUT, if that were to happen, the info would almost certainly be lost.

Bottom line, while web storage does have its issue, it is better than having a single person have the info -- as long as that person who put the info together is happy to share it (no pressure on anyone).

I like it! @polara71 did something similar for the 1970 Polara convertibles, and posted his spreadsheet on the Polara / Yahoo board back in 2008.

Polara Dave's information (as well as other posts on that Yahoo board, especially those by @Fratzog and a few others) was invaluable to me when I started looking for a 1970 Polara 'vert, and I have been updating the spreadsheet with information about all the sales that I have learned of for a number of years. @fc7_plumcrazy @polara71 @71Polara383 @70 Sport Suburban and @67newport have been wonderful spotters/sources, and several other members have helped me too.

As a way to pay back, I have thought of making my spreadsheet publicly available by posting it -- but doing so raises some issues:

1. who gets to contribute/edit the document? I always vet my own additions with Dave and Wyatt, because we are all human and so we all make mistakes. A wiki-type doc is good, but requires someone to have overriding authority. This raises issues when folks lose interest or decline in health.

2. what if the person who uploads the spreadsheet stops paying the hosting fees for whatever reason, or if the site that accepts to host it either goes under or is sold to a new owner who decides to capture/delete the documents? Everything that is posted on a board like FCBO becomes the property of the site owner. I trust @Joeychgo but one day he might not be the one making the call.

To wit, the Yahoo board is now defunct due to a business decision by Yahoo to get rid of all boards, which means the info is not there anymore. Polara Dave's spreadsheet is on an old computer of his, and the machine may or may not fire up when he finally turns it back on so that I can see the updates on his side (yeah, I'm looking at you, Mister D. -- how many months have elapsed since you moved back east?:poke:). For the same reason, I have shared my updated spreadsheet with Dave, with @71Polara383 and with @69CoronetRT because it is unlikely that all four of us will get hit by the same bolt of lightning. BUT, if that were to happen, the info would almost certainly be lost.

Bottom line, while web storage does have its issue, it is better than having a single person have the info -- as long as that person who put the info together is happy to share it (no pressure on anyone).

YOU sir will be happy to know the computer is set up and plugged in, in my garage and yes it turns on.

Problem now is I gotta get it ti internet. It's too old for wireless, so a new computer or a way to get it tied in will be needed.
You are in my thoughts, trust me.

My .02 is find a way to make it public but read only to everyone but the owner or delegate of the owner. Submissions can be made to the owner for updates. I agree with the example of Wikipedia above and the difficulty of administering such an undertaking. Even with Wiki's resources they haven't been able to objectively manage their content. Too many cooks in the kitchen is never a good thing.

Do you have the fender tag with the VON?

Bought car on Ebay for $1000 in 2001, put 18K into it so far. So not worth much. Maybe I was being too paranoid.
So fine, Number is 194407, VON#J99478.

I don't know how you want to classify it. Car was abused then abandoned in junkyard before I got it. I've done many subtle changes since I knew I could never get it back to original condition. Gold is from chevy, erased goofy gold rims, replaced ugly pinstripes with red pinstripes. Moved antenna to back as power antenna, "440 4 barrel" badges on hood, moved "300Hurst" to rear qtr, front 69 mustang mach 1 spoiler, added 3 point seatbelts from 75 thunderbird, deleted goofy roof belts with JCWhitney headliner, rear swaybar, electronic ign, aluminized front grill, some GM/Ford parts, many, many other things.

Odd thing is car starts easy and runs great, but its tired. Sometimes I punch it and scare everyone with a big plume of dark grey stuff which makes me feel guilty so I try not to do that anymore.

I still don't know if my weirdo cloth/leather seats and cloth door panels were special ordered as stated on build sheet (marked "Custom Imp Int") or maybe entire leather interior was stolen and later replaced with this?
300-1a.jpg

IMG_2512ba.jpg

Bought car on Ebay for $1000 in 2001, put 18K into it so far. So not worth much. Maybe I was being too paranoid.

I don't know how you want to classify it. Car was abused then abandoned in junkyard before I got it. I've done many subtle changes since I knew I could never get it back to original condition. Gold is from chevy, erased goofy gold rims, replaced ugly pinstripes with red pinstripes. Moved antenna to back as power antenna, "440 4 barrel" badges on hood, moved "300Hurst" to rear qtr, front 69 mustang mach 1 spoiler, added 3 point seatbelts from 75 thunderbird, deleted goofy roof belts with JCWhitney headliner, rear swaybar, electronic ign, aluminized front grill, some GM/Ford parts, many, many other things.

Odd thing is car starts easy and runs great, but its tired. Sometimes I punch it and scare everyone with a big plume of dark grey stuff which makes me feel guilty so I try not to do that anymore.

I still don't know if my weirdo cloth/leather seats and cloth door panels were special ordered as stated on build sheet (marked "Custom Imp Int") or maybe entire leather interior was stolen and later replaced with this?
View attachment 656890
View attachment 656891
That looks great! How come we haven’t seen more pics of this one?

Thank you, Northcoast. You've done quite a job of making that poor Hurst very presentable, and saved from the crusher. Congrats....you're the earliest car we've documented, by one digit. And the VONs align! Spreadsheet is updated with your info. You care to post a pic of the BSheet and/or FTag for prosperity? Or do you have anything unusual-ish, like Tilt wheel, Console, Cruise?

Interesting about your interior....does it look 54 years old? If not, it's probably a re-upholstery. Or it's one of one. :wideyed:

Back