300-H HURST nerd stuff...

difficult to answer.

The car was probably buillt at Jefferson plant around 422.
Average cars would have been finished the same day, getting a doorsticker 4/70.
Again not always matching the SPD but the actual month being buillt. There is usally no big time gap.

Carsten

I agree...however...I'm thinking federal laws would require the door sticker that the time of completion at the plant and not after conversion at Hurst. As, essentially, the car before conversion would have been quite sellable to the public before they went to Hurst and would've to comply with any federal safety laws or emissions requirements at that point. Any external conversion for any reason or vendor could not change those guidelines. That would have to be a part for the conversion agreement.

Last edited:
so what is your guess Doug why the door stickers on Hursts are usually 1-2 months behind the estimated genuine SPDs?

Carsten

Mine is 196872 and has a March sticker on the door .

it was probably buillt in february with that sequence number but has a march doorsticker.

Here is cm23u0c230908 with a 6/70 doorsticker that was probably assembled around 30th april/1st of may (430/501)

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-chrysler-300-2/

47355069mu.gif

Carsten

Last edited:
Therefore I would guess that the doorstickers got maybe installed after they returned from Hurst and got the quality control check.
Being "officially" finished/built at that time.

Carsten
That's a very interesting take, especially that the cars came back for QC (and got the appropriate date sticker) before heading out. I was thinking more along the lines of the Hemi ABods going out from the Hurst facility, but that was different because there were much fewer cars to consider AND they weren't street cars. QC was probably "double-check your work" vs. a formal evaluation.

This may also explain the inconsistencies in VIN vs. Sticker dates. I speculate that some later VINs may have made it through Hurst ahead of earlier VINs and thus received an earlier Sticker once back at the plant. But we'll never have enough info to do a serious statistical analysis.

Thanks for that input to the nerdy Hurst mysteries.

I agree...however...I'm thinking federal laws would require the door sticker that the time of completion at the plant and not after conversion at Hurst. As, essentially, the car before conversion would have been quite sellable to the public before they went to Hurst and would've to comply with any federal laws safety or emissions at that point. Any external conversion for any reason or vendor could not change those guidelines. That would have to be a part for the conversion agreement.
Possibly the 'glass hood was a reason for a final QC, considering the hubbub about the EBod hoods getting crumple changes and rear retention. Seems like a stretch, but possibly.

so what is your guess Doug why the door stickers on Hursts are usually 1-2 months behind the estimated genuine SPDs?

Carsten

That the assumed SPDs based on similar VINS are giving us a false sense of assurance as to an estimated SPD or actual assembly.

Maybe the VINs do align with other SPDs but that still doesn't give us any real proof as to when the car was built. We're still working on assumption that the VINs in that range were actually built near that SPD. Time and time again we find proof this didn't happen. VINs are administrative and not related to production sequence. They best documentation as to assembly, without speculation, is the door sticker and protocol for issuing the sticker.

The last of the C body thread shows us how all over the place VINS, SPDs and doors stickers dates are.

One item that might give us more insight as to assembly order is a review of broadcast sheets. I don't know how '70 Jefferson administered their sequence numbers. IF the BS are numbered roughly sequentially, as with some other plants, then we could get a better handle on how the Hurst cars were actually sprinkled in with regular production. One could compare the broadcast sheet sequence, VINs, SPDs and door stickers. IF the BS sequence number is a date code format, as with some plants, then we would have a much greater handle on the date the BS was printed and a stronger assurance as to actually when the car was on the line.

It all comes down to 'more data'. It's always 'more data'....... and another reason why someone needs to be compiling that data for C bodies. It matters.

Possibly the 'glass hood was a reason for a final QC, considering the hubbub about the EBod hoods getting crumple changes and rear retention. Seems like a stretch, but possibly.

"Quality control" is different than federal compliance. IF Chrysler knew hoods would be complaint, then there would be no need to check the hood for safety standards when the car came back to the factory and, therefore, no need to hold off on applying the sticker before conversion.

The Hurst's were high end halo cars. I'm sure there was quality control to ensure the cars maintained the upscale image, consistency between cars and that they had the necessary impeccable fit and function before they were released from the factory. But, that is different than meeting federal safety standards.

I'm sure there was quality control to ensure the cars maintained the upscale image, consistency between cars and that they had the necessary impeccable fit and function before they were released from the factory. But, that is different than meeting federal safety standards.
Good point. Chrysler wanted to make sure that something didn't go haywire at Hurst, like paint on the Imp interior, panel fit of the 'glass parts, etc. But....the Stickers COULD have gone on when the car was finished at Jefferson, and still get a final QC when back from Hurst a few weeks later like you said in Post 141, yes? Or do you have some "VIN-VON-Sticker" trails that definitively point otherwise?

EDIT: I just carefully reread your thoughts in Post 146, where you said "More data." We just aren't there yet with enough damn nerdy data! This wouldn't be an issue if we were talking about thirty-thousand Polaras.

Last edited:
Here's mine. (I read its easier to steal/change ownership of a car by knowing the VIN....so yep, I'm paranoid.)

I guess I have the earliest Hurst in this thread? (oh boy, did I win anything?...yay for me)

Can anyone tell me why the "9" looks so weird? It's a little darker and not lined up.

IMG_E5001.JPG

Here's mine. (I read its easier to steal/change ownership of a car by knowing the VIN....so yep, I'm paranoid.)

I guess I have the earliest Hurst in this thread? (oh boy, did I win anything?...yay for me)

Can anyone tell me why the "9" looks so weird? It's a little darker and not lined up.

View attachment 655141
Do you have the fender tag with the VON?

Back