318 2bbl carb base gasket

Great Pumpkin

Reaction score
I am having a hard time finding a carburetor base gasket for my 1970 Plymouth Fury III with 318 and Carter 2bbl 2076 carb. There is a Fel Pro 60188 (cork?)
IMG_4765.JPG
that is 9/32" thick, too thick to fit the studs. I made a gasket with thin material from O'Reilly's, but just realized its leaking. So, anyone know if there is a carb gasket that'll fit an original setup? I looked through the nantional auto parts stores, jegs, summit, and yearone. they all either have the felpro one or nothing, as far as I see. Thanks for helping, Bob

The better carb kits usually have the thick factory gasket.

Dave

That "thick" gasket is NOT cork, but is a thick pressed paper-type, which was OEM on those cars. If the studs aren't long enough, use some longer ones, just get the "black" ones as they are hardened and not as soft as the "silver" ones. The sleeves in the holes are to keep the gasket compression to a particular level when the nuts are tight. The "looseness" you describe is typical of the thin gaskets, even the ones in some carb kits.

If you have the stock divorced choke, the thick gasket is important to the correct operation of the choke thermostat for best cold-engine performance.

CBODY67

These guys are correct. The factory 318 carb base gaskets are thick like that....and you want them that way. Buy some longer studs, and for me, I actually prefer the cheap silver ones that you get at the parts store because I'd rather strip a stud than a hole in an intake manifold....just my 2-cents.

In any clamping interface, there needs to be ONE sacrificial fastener. As noted, better to strip or break a fastener than to ruin a casting (which will require a HeliCoil or similar to fix correctly rather than scrapping it).

My orientation toward the carb studs is that I DID break one of the silver ones, which came with the manifold. I then got a small drill bit and put a hole as nearly in the center of the broken stud (in the manifold base flange). Didn't get it centered just right, as it was still on the motor (383 in this case). I then got the requisite E-Z-Out and tried that, but due to the small size, it broke too. Bought another manifold and put the one with the "installed" stud in my stash. Got the black oxide studs, put some sealer on the bottom threads (that went into the manifold flange), carefully installed them fully, and completed the carb installation. Just use finger-strength. If you might used a short wrench to install them, use ONLY the minimum amount of torque to do it--period! IF any resistance is met before it bottoms-out in the hole, remove it and re-check the hole with a bolt and your fingers (for torque). Once in securely, then continue from there. Key word is "discretion" in doing the final torque on the carb base.

CBODY67

Back