318 mopar wont start

If your car is made out of a hodgepodge of stuff and you’ve done your own wiring, that’s fine. Thing is, you can’t consult the c-body experts or the FSM if you have questions or need trouble-shooting help. You have a one of kind build that nobody else has any idea how it’s put together or what is going on.
It'd not hodge podge and who asked you ? Basically stater solenoids/ relays serve a similar purpose in a 318 C body. Scroll on .

It'd not hodge podge and who asked you ? Basically stater solenoids/ relays serve a similar purpose in a 318 C body. Scroll on .
Ok, you’re the expert and engineer. So you shouldn’t have any trouble figuring it out. You asked the forum and I’m in it. Not downing your car, I have stuff worse than that.
You’ve got a crusty old Ford relay on the inner fender of a Plymouth with the wires going to one side and the safety switch disabled. It won’t start and you’re asking the Chrysler guys for advice, then you smart off when told the truth. Good luck

Last edited:
You are most likely right about that, but he still needs to remove it and test it. If that is what it is, then the correct solenoid needs to be hooked up properly, so it doesn't keep happening.

So I was cranking my 318 mopar in my 65 Fury and it just quit . Now I have a no start from the key. So I bypassed starter and started at the relay with a screwdriver and fired right up. I drove for an hr with no issues. Why the no key start? Starter ? I checked fues , Ballest resistor Seem ok.
Same problem, was relay switch. I also replaced neutral safety switch; there is a reason they call call it “safety” and “don’t leave home without it!” With regard to ordering a safety switch, many advertise but many are incorrect. There are different ones for the 65 and three vendors were wrong; Classic, Summit and ugh, Jegs. Make sure you pull the old and compare to the picture of the one if you order. If your’s is like mine, difficult to find.
So I was cranking my 318 mopar in my 65 Fury and it just quit . Now I have a no start from the key. So I bypassed starter and started at the relay with a screwdriver and fired right up. I drove for an hr with no issues. Why the no key start? Starter ? I checked fues , Ballest resistor Seem ok.

Last edited:
Geez... Yea, you are correct!

Not being all that familiar with the Ford solenoids, I didn't pick up on that.

So... That means that isn't doing anything. The ignition switch is doing all the work... And may be fried.
Thanks for input guys . Appreciate it. I turned key to test yellow wire to see if it has voltage , it does. So key switch seems to maybe be working. I ordered correct relay. Maybe ground wire on starter. Hmm. I ordered key switch in case. I'm gonna hook up correctly

Back