4 speed conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Column shift or floor shift has nothing to do with the Z-bar. Both the same.
As already stated above, 383 3 speed was optional on the Polara (318 standard) and in the Newport, and not available on the Fury (/6 ((std)) and 318 ((opt.)) only)
Never in history has there been a 3 speed 440 in passenger cars. 413's could be had with 3 speeds.

Thanks for clearing that up, I would have thought that a column mount 3 would be different than a floor mount 4. I was wrong. I've never owned either so was only assuming, but I try to learn from these threads as I am kicking around the idea of converting my '70 Newport convertible being a nom matching numbers, fairly rough car, with a good 440. Was thinking Keisler 5 speed though. (Ducking down).

The 383 cars sold with 3 on the tree ; only 2bbl or also with 4bbl carb ?

thinking Keisler 5 speed though. (Ducking down).
If you don't know all the basics about converting to a 4 speed, a Keisler 5 speed will throw you for a loop. Unless you pay someone to do it. And I bet they still don't do it right. I've looked at real world 5 speed conversions on B's and E's. Wasn't impressed.
Personally, I'd love to do a 5 speed conversion now. Something else to learn to put in my book.

I thought that , never seen one with 4bbl i can remember........

my parts are coming from a 66 ply fury 383 4spd , even flywhl n clutch assembly . got a 67 300 rag and a 65 880 rag . one or the other is getting stick'd .

I will get pics and post for all interested I was told it was out off a 69 318 3 in the tree car

i'm going to get some more pics , maybe one of the donor car too . and on the trans mount , 69 n earlier 833 4 spds had a different locating of the pad for the mount . lower and farther back , like two inches in both direction . the 70 up 833 are in the same position as the 727auto .

well guys n gals here are those pics of the 383 4spd donor car , said to say . it doesn't look that bad to part it out .

thumbnail_20160416_151507.jpg

thumbnail_20160416_151517.jpg

thumbnail_20160416_151520.jpg

thumbnail_20160416_151541.jpg

thumbnail_20160416_151556.jpg

FWIW, we all must remember that 65-68 and 69-71 pedal bracketry is different.
Dieseldust - you coming back with pictures to sell these pedals?

well guys n gals here are those pics of the 383 4spd donor car , said to say . it doesn't look that bad to part it out .
I know I've harped on several 300 'verts lately against them becoming parts cars, but this one I feel differently about. I personally wouldn't part it out, because I'd run from such a car, it's one you struggle to figure out what to do with it. IMO this one would be a mistake to try and save, even if it's a 4-speed car. That car is $7500 worth of work away from still being a POS.

From what I've watched of 4-speed Cs on ebay, the 'verts don't seem to have the draw of a 2dr in similar condition. You'd think they would, being rarer-than-rare, but bidders don't seem to agree.

i'm not a go with the flow kind a guy . but i agree c bodies don't bring the funds they should . even having the same options as there little a's b's n e's do .

FWIW, we all must remember that 65-68 and 69-71 pedal bracketry is different.
Dieseldust - you coming back with pictures to sell these pedals?
I never heard that. My assumptions from seeing what others have done is, pedals interchange 65 - 73, 3 spd or 4 speed.
The difference being there is a set for manual brakes and a set for power brakes.

I've not seen it confirmed that 65-68 pedals will or won't install in a 69, but the pictures I have seen shows they are definitely different in appearance. Obvioulsy mast cyl bolt patterns and such are standardized, but where the clutchrod pokes thru the firewall may not be.

but yes, MB and PB pedals are different in the 65-68s for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back