4 speed trans ID help needed

SGT FURY

Reaction score
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Just picked up this trans. Not sure what it's from? My best guess is from 65 b body?
Can someone help with ID? Also these 2 3speeds ? A body?

Isn’t that 4 speed a short tailhousing for an a body? They all looks like short A body units. Hard to tell for sure in the photo.

On a slip yoke 4 speed the tailhousing Lengths are:
BCE body trans 16.5”
A body trans 12.5”
And the main case is 10.5” long.

Seems a a ball & trunion should be similar 4” in difference.

413 sounds like he is on track for the first one, a '64 or '65 A body, the aluminum tail housing would likely be an F body OD trans and the other one, not enough info

They appear to all be A/F body transmissions.

1. is early A 4 speed with the flange ('64-'65)

Screenshot_20210612-130008_Chrome.jpg

2. Is a A body 3 speed trans. Probably early-mid '70s

Screenshot_20210612-130105_Chrome.jpg

3. Is early slip yoke A body 4 speed trans ('66-'67) with the Inland shifter mechanism. These usually use the smaller 904 automatic size output shaft.

Screenshot_20210612-130024_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Those pictures are hard to see detail with the shadows and the ground the same color as rusted metal.

@c-barge #3 is a 3 speed. There are only 2 shift rods and pivots. The side cover is aluminum with the reverse lamp switch on the side cover. 4 speed reverse lamp switch goes into the rear edge of the main case.

And the factory 3speed floor shifters were inland.

Those pictures are hard to see detail with the shadows and the ground the same color as rusted metal.

@c-barge #3 is a 3 speed. There are only 2 shift rods and pivots. The side cover is aluminum with the reverse lamp switch on the side cover. 4 speed reverse lamp switch goes into the rear edge of the main case.

And the factory 3speed floor shifters were inland.

I went in order as the photos appeared..

Transmission #3 is clearly a 4 speed with the Inland shifter mechanism.

Screenshot_20210612-130113_Chrome.jpg

Yes it is indeed a 4 speed. see where I said the photos were unclear. They still are. LOL

Back