440 with Terminator EFI

440efi

Reaction score
New to site and no better place to post such a venture. Anybody else opt for a terminator EFI?

2B4425C0-9F3C-4262-B1F2-46DEF1732233.jpeg
This is what I went with for my 78 New Yorker Brougham 440

Been going back and forth on the decision then I give up and carb it is. However, like yourself I've heard nothing but praise for EFI and with the quality of gas... EFI it is.

Been toying with the old Bowling and Grippo cards back before any of these kits became available. Tough to beat any of these kits nowadays.

I just ordered a Sniper setup yesterday. Ordered the basic kit in that I didnt want the external fuel pump.
Ordered a Tanks Inc. GPA 2 internal pump which was recommended. I already have a Tank setup for FI. Also purchased a Aeroquip filter. Speed shop I went through gave me a good discount. The kit was listed for $999.00 and with their with their discount it was $920.00. Gave discounts on the pump and filter.

I’ll purchase the fittings and push-lock hose next week.

Also, there’s a Holley FI user group you can join. It’s not sanctioned by Holley however their techs participate.

I had my 440 swapped over to EFI (FiTech) and electronic ignition a couple of years ago. My 68 300 has never run better. I have never dyno’ed the car, but I can tell the HP is way up. Through the process I also had to switch out the gas pedal linkage to a cable.... that switch seemed to make the car more responsive too.

I realized I was making a big commitment to switching from a stock engine to a modified engine, but now looking back, I am glad I did. Besides the performance improvements, the reliability of the engine now is great.

Going with the in tank pump as well. It is a commitment to say the least..

Anyone consider a manifold change?

I just ordered a Sniper setup yesterday. Ordered the basic kit in that I didnt want the external fuel pump.
Ordered a Tanks Inc. GPA 2 internal pump which was recommended. I already have a Tank setup for FI. Also purchased a Aeroquip filter. Speed shop I went through gave me a good discount. The kit was listed for $999.00 and with their with their discount it was $920.00. Gave discounts on the pump and filter.

I’ll purchase the fittings and push-lock hose next week.

Also, there’s a Holley FI user group you can join. It’s not sanctioned by Holley however their techs participate.
Sounds good thanks for the info the system zi used I set it up with the fuel pump inside the tank it seems to work very well. And how do I find this Holley group.

I had my 440 swapped over to EFI (FiTech) and electronic ignition a couple of years ago. My 68 300 has never run better. I have never dyno’ed the car, but I can tell the HP is way up. Through the process I also had to switch out the gas pedal linkage to a cable.... that switch seemed to make the car more responsive too.

I realized I was making a big commitment to switching from a stock engine to a modified engine, but now looking back, I am glad I did. Besides the performance improvements, the reliability of the engine now is great.
The vehicle I purchased still has the matching numbers for 440 but I’m glad the previous owner built the engine so to me it was a no brainer to update it. The rest of the car is bone stock except for the transmission tranny cooler exhaust rims and tires. And I also experienced a big horsepower gain fuel economy drivability. I put it on the Dino it’s getting 260 hp and 320 foot pounds of torque. The stock horsepower for 78 for 440 was 150

Used efi stuff occasionally gets posted, usually because the owner can't figure it out. Not that common tho. I did buy my classic FAST used in 2002, didn't install until 2008, has kept on rocking at almost 20yrs old.

Anyone have a guess as to when these will be showing up on swap meet tables?

That is a brave man to take a gamble on a EFI from a swapmeet. Might get a better return on a bunch of scratch crads and lower blood pressure.

Man, I can’t imagine buying one of these used. Fairly complicated for the novice shade tree.
I figure that's the reason for them showing up, a correctly working one will still be on the car. Look at how many people have trouble with putting a petronix on a car, and all that is doing is moving the amperage out of the points.
That is a brave man to take a gamble on a EFI from a swapmeet. Might get a better return on a bunch of scratch crads and lower blood pressure.
Not me, I don't need a pressure, feedback, carburetor. I'm good with a regular carburetor and a air/fuel guage.
The drivability in varying conditions is a big plus, so is the constantly corrected AFR on cruise for MPG. If you are seeing a big gain in horsepower, well that just means your carb is lean at WOT. Gasoline is a finicky ***** and only works in a narrow AFR ~12.5:1 a half a point either way and you start to drop off drastically. A carburetor at WOT will always make more power, because of the venturis. The lowering of the pressure in the venturis causes the temperature to drop (were you paying attention in high school physics?) it gives up it's heat to vaporize the fuel. Provided the carburetor is not too small (showing manifold vacuum at WOT and high rpm) you will now have a colder more oxygen rich thus more fuel to burn charge in the intake manifold, equaling more power. Throttle body fuel injection can never get here, no pressure drop to help vaporize. The crispness in throttle response would outweigh this nominal power gain at WOT, which is ultimately the attractiveness of these systems.
I think that giving up the ignition feedback and corrections by staying with the stock ignition is a poor choice, but opens a whole can of worms that people don't understand (or more correctly don't think about logically).
Will be interesting to see if they ever get the ignition control to self tune. I'm not sure how these work when giving ignition control to the ECU, or if your just chosing a timing map that is one of a bazillion choices.

Last edited:
You create your timing map. Self correcting would include a knock sensor.
IMO timing is super easy, these engines all want basically the same map given a certain modification level. I've spent about 10% of my tuning on timing, 90% on fuel including the transition circuits

You create your timing map. Self correcting would include a knock sensor.
IMO timing is super easy, these engines all want basically the same map given a certain modification level. I've spent about 10% of my tuning on timing, QUOTE]

A knock sensor would be nice, especially if your right on the ragged edge with compression ratios and, or crappy open heads. I agree that timing is simple enough, I guess I'm thinking knock sensor.
, 90% on fuel including the transition circuits
Do the self tuning ones have a problem with this or is it more your combo.

So you guys that went pump in tank, what tanks are you running? I am going to a pump in fuel cell system because the 65 Fury tank from Vans doesn't have that option.

So you guys that went pump in tank, what tanks are you running? I am going to a pump in fuel cell system because the 65 Fury tank from Vans doesn't have that option.
What about the Holley mat or the aeromotive foam sump system?
The noisy frame rail mounted and the "let's see if we can cause a fire today under hood system" are unacceptable IMO

Back