512 Build, deciding on intake and carb manufacturer

Thanks Mev for that. I was told that anything over 6.5 psi could blow the float valve on Edelbrocks and is why I am worried. Also read that some stock or otherwise fuel pumps can vary widely on their psi. Maybe Holley's aren't as sensitive to this .

There have been the various manifold mounting flange height graphics in the Edelbrock manifold catalog for decades. Can be used for comparison, I suspect. I like the ideal of the more even cyl-to-cyl air distribution of the TM7 (or similar), but the lesser lower rpm torque might make things feel disappointing after it's all together. I'd had for a dual plane, if possible, myself.

Holley was the first to use the annular discharge venturis on one of their 800cfm double pumpers in the '80s. Allegedly worth another 20 horsepower on OEM-size motors, back then. The ultimate "drop down base" base was OEM on later '60s Corvette engines. Drops the filter bottom one inch lower than the aftermarket imitations--we compared them about 40 years ago. It's also configures to clear the Holley that came on the 427/454 Corvette motors back then. Choke thermostat and all. The imitations will clear the center-pivot race bowls, basically, which is probably why they don't drop down so much. BEFORE you close the hood, be sure to check the length of the carb air cleaner stud! You can sight it against the cowl height now, then go from there.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

There have been the various manifold mounting flange height graphics in the Edelbrock manifold catalog for decades. Can be used for comparison, I suspect. I like the ideal of the more even cyl-to-cyl air distribution of the TM7 (or similar), but the lesser lower rpm torque might make things feel disappointing after it's all together. I'd had for a dual plane, if possible, myself.

Holley was the first to use the annular discharge venturis on one of their 800cfm double pumpers in the '80s. Allegedly worth another 20 horsepower on OEM-size motors, back then. The ultimate "drop down base" base was OEM on later '60s Corvette engines. Drops the filter bottom one inch lower than the aftermarket imitations--we compared them about 40 years ago. It's also configures to clear the Holley that came on the 427/454 Corvette motors back then. Choke thermostat and all. The imitations will clear the center-pivot race bowls, basically, which is probably why they don't drop down so much. BEFORE you close the hood, be sure to check the length of the carb air cleaner stud! You can sight it against the cowl height now, then go from there.

Enjoy!
CBODY67
I use this base
Keyser Manufacturing Aluminum Air Cleaner Bases 100 68826
It works with either a k&N filter and lid, or the stock top and stock filter. It is very close to the hood but does not hit. You can see the buchillon kick down bracket and cable conversion in the photo too. The car is just as fast in the 1/4 mile with either air cleaner assembly
20180415_103243_resized.jpg
20190128_190714_resized.jpg
20190128_190724_resized.jpg

Just thinking out loud, with exhaust manifolds being the limiting flow piece in your combo, maybe the Performer RPM would be about right on your combo?
My 440 would rev to 6500 rpm with that intake, albeit lots smaller cubes and headers.

To get my junk running, I had a 600 CFM Edelbrock, then went to a 850 Mighty Demon carb. The 600 was way more responsive, but really hit a wall at anything above 4500 RPMS.

I have since went to a Dominator. If you want to pay shipping I'd be happy to let you try my Demon carb. It is tuned up for my motor with big ports and headers, it might be a tad rich for your engine, but you could get a feel for what you want.

It would sure be good to copy one of the guys that have a class car that uses factory manifolds.

PS a Carter muscle car series mechanical pump worked well for a long time, never any fuel supply issues with the smaller engine.

It would sure be good to copy one of the guys that have a class car that uses factory manifolds.

Hey thanks for the offer of the carb and fuel pump recommendations. I would like to use the Performer RPM and will do some measuring soon to see if it will fit. I have no previous experience with these big blocks and when I was first asking about the build possibilities I got alot of great info. Much of it though I couldn't use because I wanted to use HP cast iron manifolds. FuryGT here on this forum recommended to me Mr Dwayne Porter from porter racing heads. He has set up alot of engines for the class drag racing which mandates the use among other things stock type exhaust manifolds that FuryGt competes in. I have gotten a ride in his 66? Fury that has a stroker and cast iron exhaust manifolds. ( it goes like Stink!!) I spoke to Mr Porter at length about what I wanted. Long story short he had a custom roller cam ground to his specs for my application to get the most out of the exhaust manifolds.. He also did some head work (and port work)and setup my 440 Source Stealth heads to work with the roller cam. He asked alot of questions before he came to his solution. So although I am uneducated in this area I feel I am in good hands. I delivered the cam and rollers and heads + roller rockers (1.5 ratio)to my engine builder. I now have to get the 440 Source 512 bottom end kit to him. It will be .30 over so I guess it is actually a 505. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Last edited:
With exhaust manifold you will never be able to move enough air to need more than a good mechanical pump and a 3/8 line and sending unit.
My Challenger goes to 6000 rpm through 2 shifts and never runs out of fuel. Stock fuel pump with hose barb in and out, the flare fitting outlets suck because the hole is maybe a 1/8".

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I had an M1 single plane on my 493 in my 66 New Yorker and with the Commander 950 TBI throttle body it fit under the hood with an Edelbrock chrome air filter.

As far as giving up bottom end torque with a single plane vs a dual plane, my experience with 493 cubes was you won't miss it.

Mine made good torque right off idle and was making 500 ft/lbs by 2000 rpm. No problem hurling 4800 lbs through an intersection. Lol.

Kevin

Ok defibrillating an old topic. I have decided on intake and carb for my 505 build. Now I want to get a fuel pump [mechanical] and wondering after re reading MEV's post here if a stock fuel pump is all I need.

Here is what he said,

I run this holley pump part#12-440-11. it is internally regulated at 6.5 psi and 110gpm. I put it on because the pump on my car was the original pump installed at the factory in 1966. HOWEVER, i do not think the holley was necessary as i never ever had fuel problems and the car ran 12.50's with the stock original pump and stock 5/16 fuel line..

This amazes me and would like know what specific stock type fuel pump I should get. Some stock pumps are rated at 30 GPH is that enough for my application?? Thanks

Ok defibrillating an old topic. I have decided on intake and carb for my 505 build. Now I want to get a fuel pump [mechanical] and wondering after re reading MEV's post here if a stock fuel pump is all I need.

Here is what he said,

This amazes me and would like know what specific stock type fuel pump I should get. Some stock pumps are rated at 30 GPH is that enough for my application?? Thanks

30gph is more than enough. Carter made a high performance pump for the 440-6 applications if you think you need more fuel. That pump needs a 3/8' input all the way to the tank sending unit. If you have a 5/16" line setup, it will be choked down by the smaller fuel line anyway.

Dave

Here is what he said,

Even though i now run the holley pump, i still have the stock 5/16 line and adapt it down at the pump. The car runs 12.28@110 with that setup.

The option that I elected on my 520" was a Carter high volume mechanical pump and a Holley Blue Electric Pump mounted by the tank as a "pusher" to ensure that I did not have any fuel starvation, especially when drag racing. A fuel pressure regulator was installed before the mechanical pump. I found that having the electric pump makes it a lot easier to start the car as the carb does not have a choke.

Coming up on decisions for my 440 stroker build. Wanting to know your thoughts on an intake that will fit without cutting a hole in the hood and the decision between the old rivals ,Holley and Edelbrock carburetors. Many I have spoken with seem to agree for my build the Edelbrock Performer RPM dual plane intake would be ideal but worry about fitting as it is a very tall manifold. Another was the Holley Dominator which has a much lower profile and would fit,has good flow but is a single plane. Any thoughts would be great on performance and if it fits. Any other intake ideas would be interesting that will fit under the hood of my 69 Fury III to feed this beast.

Carbs, most engine guys prefer Holleys it seems because they can put out more top end power in general than a Edelbrock I guess. In any case I think the way to go is vacuum secondaries and not mechanical because this will be a 95% street car. Correct me if I am wrong.
For a Holley they recommend a 800 cfm. I am also interested [only because I am familiar with them] the Edelbrock AVS2 800 cfm because of the annular booster primary venturis. I hear the throttle response of these carbs is really great and may help the Holley Dominator single plane intake.
Or just the regular AVS 800 cfm. I have a Edelbrock 1406 on my present 440 and like it and very easy to work on and is why I am considering the AVS2.
This is not a drag car and I want my wife to want to ride in it. It will have a rather decent idle and behavior but have alot of torque if I mash it and speed down the highway with the 3.23 rear. I would like to be able to start it up and go anywhere I want at any time ,,,,like a normal car lol.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
if the engine is still in the car which I think you stated than do this. take some tinfoil and wrap it into a loose ball shape. put it on top of the original breather and close the hood. measure the thickness of the foil and there you have your measurement. you can now get intake heights and compare them to your existing setup. have fun. and you can reuse the tinfoil.

Yes I did do the aluminum foil ball thing and crush it to see what I have now. It was close that the Performer RPM may fit with a lowering base plate to accomodate my stock dual snorkel stock air cleaner. I mean within a1/3 of an inch. Then Mr Porter said " How old are your motor mounts and do you plan to replace them?" So then all bets were off. Too close for comfort. I chose a Holley Street Dominator single plane intake because it is very low height wise and flows very well. Mr Porter blessed this. Because of it's mild single plane design but flows as well as the Performer rpm at high airflow or better I was worried about around town low rpm manners. I decided on a 800 cfm Edelbrock AVS2 with the anular primary venturis which mimic the spray pattern of a injector with it's I believe 8 orifices in each of it's two veturis instead of one dump tube on each. So that is where I am at at the moment. Got some good deals on the intake and carb during the winter blues sales events happening now.

Thanks furygt for your reply. I don't think I will be doing much drag racing ,,mayby once in a while . High 12's would make me happy. The electric fuel pump is a great solution to this problem. A fuel reg after the electric fuel pump and before the mechanical pump is a great idea,, and frankly never heard of that.
Are you all settled in yet? Great to hear from you, and I hope you are happy with your move!

Thanks furygt for your reply. I don't think I will be doing much drag racing ,,mayby once in a while . High 12's would make me happy. The electric fuel pump is a great solution to this problem. A fuel reg after the electric fuel pump and before the mechanical pump is a great idea,, and frankly never heard of that.
Are you all settled in yet? Great to hear from you, and I hope you are happy with your move!

We have moved to North Carolina but are not fully settled in and have some problems with purchasing the house due to an easement that should have been removed from the County records but wasn't removed.

I was just reading through this thread and wondering. Has anyone ever made up a low-profile cold air intake for a c-body? Something that would just have a low "hood" type thing on the carb with ducting to an air box that grabs air from in front of the radiator?

Yes there was a thread on this here somewhere. A similar system to the Oldsmobile W-31 if I remember correctly with the flexable hose with air inlets in the bumper. It has two inlets on the aircleaner. Maybe hard to find [ the thread]as it was discussed to convince a guy not to cut a hole in his hood.

Last edited:
If you're not going to race, you'll probably never empty the bowls of the carb, so fuel delivery won't really be an issue.

Back