53 Packard & an old Chevy ambulance

C Body Bob

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
D232B571-F12C-40F5-AE20-EB8BBEA77AE1.jpeg
A little something off subject I thought you guys might like. I’m sitting here watching Cold War Motors & they are working on a Packard Clipper trying to get it to run & that reminded me of a Clipper I parted 20 plus years ago before the Internet was going good. Seems like I had some parts on E-Bay but mostly local advertising. Well I pulled the straight 6 flat head engine out. Man it was heavy. A guy from the Chicago area called me & was interested in the engine. He was a Packard collector. We made a deal. He drove down in an old Chevy ambulance that he used as a camper. Had his tools in it & a decent sized hoist mounted on the back to lift heavy stuff he would buy at swap meets around the country. He got to my place kinda late so he camped out at a store just up the road. At 8 am the next morning he was in my driveway & I directed him to the engine sitting behind my shop. He paid me cash. I think $300. Loaded the engine in the back of the ambulance & we chatted for a good half hour & he was on his way somewhere else further south to pick up some more Packard parts. To me that’s what’s the most fun about this car hobby. The cool people you meet & are able to help them enjoy the hobby by providing them parts & or a good story.

I sold a couple of rear axle gear carriers (pumpkins) from a WW2 IHC truck a few months back.
I live in Washington state and the buyer in Iowa. He and his wife drove out in a newer Volkswagon beetle and we loaded those 2 pumpkins into the trunk of his car.
He said it was just like picking up two fat chicks. His wife just rolled her eyes at that but seemed fine with his logic.
We looked around at my junk collection for a while and talked before they headed back to Iowa. Real nice folks and now he talks like he wants to buy a complete parts truck from me. Maybe he will tow bar it behind the beetle back to Iowa!!

I sold a couple of rear axle gear carriers (pumpkins) from a WW2 IHC truck a few months back.
I live in Washington state and the buyer in Iowa. He and his wife drove out in a newer Volkswagon beetle and we loaded those 2 pumpkins into the trunk of his car.
He said it was just like picking up two fat chicks. His wife just rolled her eyes at that but seemed fine with his logic.
We looked around at my junk collection for a while and talked before they headed back to Iowa. Real nice folks and now he talks like he wants to buy a complete parts truck from me. Maybe he will tow bar it behind the beetle back to Iowa!!
Wow that thing had to be overloaded. I bought a 273 engine one time & drove home with it on the interstate. I had a Dodge Rampage mini elcamio thing. It was almost scrapping the bumper. It was such a handful I could only run 55

It definitely sat lower in the rear than normal. Guy said they had no problems on the way home so guess it worked for him.

Newer Beetle and two pumpkins? That's nothing.

I had a '92 Daytona, and I fit everything and anything in that car, including a large L shaped computer desk, that used up every available cubic inch, I barley fit.

Anywho, I loaded 45 batteries into the trunk of that thing back when lead was sky-high for scrap. *** end was bottomed out, and when I went in the morning, my lights weren't even touching pavement. I also brought home a 440 short block and heads one freezer my New Years Day, again, bottomed out. I swear they marketed that Daytona as a truck. :lol:

Back