Michael Brisebois

Reaction score
Contact seller
54 New Yorker
Hemi engine
Great body
One family owned
All the paperwork

Soon this car will be in Western Mass. ,currently it's in East Theteford Vt. It belongs to a good friend of mine and it came to him as an inheritance ( a round-about way ). It sits in his garage mostly. Running & registered, all the paperwork is there.

He needs the space!

I listed it for him on this sight last fall, with some interest, but it's too far away from civilization. I convinced him to ship it to me and arraignments are being made now.

The seats are original upholstery! I'm told that they were covered the day his grandfather bought it and only recently have seen the light of day.

P1010366.JPG
P1010395.JPG
2014-04-23 20.20.11.jpg
P1010414.JPG

It appears to me that it was repainted at some point, but it was back before anyone living can remember.
Super Nice old beauty!

I know he will be flexible on the price. I would think that it must be worth $15,000. I'm authorized to make the best deal for him.

If you don't have an interest, thoughts on a reasonable price would be appreciated. Once it makes it to my house...it won't be going back to East Theteford, VT

Since you asked I’m thinking you’d be sitting on it for a long time at that price. I’m not sure what these are really worth but I am sure that they’re not worth as much as they should be. It appears to be a very nice car. Best of luck finding a new home for it.:thumbsup:

the car was only offered up last October, and only onCbodies

Unfortunately, many times the sum of the parts are worth more than a complete running car. He doesn't want it to be taken apart...If someone can come up with a reasonable. Seriously, just as transportation, it's gotta be worth more than $5500

I don’t want to say what my thoughts are on its value. The market is very small for this era anymore on top of the fact that it’s a 4 door sedan but it does have a lot going for it and I really hope somebody steps up and makes you a fair offer.

It's unfortunate that after 65 years of the same family ownership they have a need to sell or don't have the desire to keep this family heirloom. The demand for these early 50's sedans are continuing their downhill slide, along with their values.

the car was only offered up last October, and only onCbodies

Unfortunately, many times the sum of the parts are worth more than a complete running car. He doesn't want it to be taken apart...If someone can come up with a reasonable. Seriously, just as transportation, it's gotta be worth more than $5500

As a rule, I don't comment on prices on cars that forum members post. Since you're welcoming comments about pricing, I'll add my comments.

I owned a '53 Windsor and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the love just isn't there for those cars. I sold mine for a fraction of what I had invested in it. I knew that going in and priced it to sell. SOLD - 1953 Windsor project car

Granted, that was a flathead six, Windsor and it needed assembly, but it gives you an idea.

Looking at your friend's car, it has some good and bad points. The dents on the passenger side detract a lot. The rust on the chrome could be taken care of with a good chrome cleaner, so I would suggest doing that and taking new pictures.

IMHO, you have a nice, low mileage car, looks to be in nice condition except as noted. The value... Well, my son (who sold cars) always told me there's a butt for every seat, so it's whatever someone is willing to pay for it. That car needs some work to be anywhere near your asking price, even then, I don't know if you are going to come close or not. Right now, I would say that if someone offered the $5500 you mention, I would take it and not look back. Personally, I think a sale price would be closer to $4000 in the condition it's it.

I hope that doesn't upset you. As said, if you didn't ask, I wouldn't comment.

I suggest posting an ad on this site. You may get some responses, but not at that price. You could also post a "what's it worth?" question. P15-D24.com and Pilot-house.com

BTW, you started at $12k. For Sale - 54 New Yorker

I'm not aware of any dents or repairs on it. Not sure what you're seeing.

I thank you very much for the feedback and price opinions. My thinking was that the Hemi engine would carry some value...but it's not a 426 hemi.

I'm more of a 60's era guy, I have an "A" & "B" body, and as "needing restoration", either cost me more than the $5,500. . This one is registered and drive-able.

I'm trying to help a friend...perhaps I should prep him for reality. He really wants someone to"want" it. I'll probably Craigslist it for him and see if anyone local has a "nostalgia thing " for it

Even though it's a cool car.....

If someone really wanted that car I would think the high bid will be between $4k - $5k.
It is a Hemi....but it's an early Hemi. Not really desirable or valuable. Too bad the younger generations just don't have any interest in these cool old American iron monsters!

Almost everyone tends to disparage price guides, usally with good reason. But VMR says it bases its valuation upon market driven data--ie: sales. For what it's worth:

Collector Car Value Report
1954 CHRYSLER NEW YORKER 331-195hp (8cyl-4V) AT

MOBILE

#5 #4 #3 #2 #1
4dr Sedan 1425 4000 7525 12475 19125
Lwb 1475 4125 7750 12850 19700
2dr Sedan 1500 4250 7975 13225 20300
2dr Hardtop 3875 11425 20200 31625 46625
Deluxe 4dr Sedan 1450 4125 7750 12850 19700
Deluxe 2dr Sedan 1550 4375 8200 13625 20900
Deluxe 2dr Hardtop 3975 12000 22050 34525 50900
Deluxe 2dr Convertible 6800 18650 32000 47400 74200
Town & Ctry 4dr Wagon 4400 12900 25600 37225 59950

Add:
Air conditioning 12%
Power windows 3%

Kind of a shame that a survivor of 65 years can't get a decent price, but it is what it is.
Is your opinion the same...about 5K?
With the dings/dents/scrapes, rust on the bumper and trim, without knowing what the floors look like, $5k might still be a hard sell.

The older Hemi drivetrains aren't desirable anymore. Maybe an old style 392 or a 426.

I see the new metric 392 and 426 being the hot transplant these days. And you can get a complete engine with the wiring harness and ECU kit without having to get it from a donor car.

I like 50s automobiles. I was looking for one when I found my Fury. Wife says only one money pit at a time. Would love to have it but would have to sell my Fury first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back