58 Fury

68 4spd Fury

Reaction score
One of my sons friends took this in Havana recently.

58Fury.JPG
r

Nice that it still survives, but I bet it has a Russian 4 cyl tractor motor under the hood.

doubt it's a russian drive train
Cuba only ever had access to Russian products and parts for 30 years. I have seen a few pics of older cars there which all had their hearts changed. I'll see if i can find the article.

Its not a fury its a belvedere fury was only offered at a 2drht that year '56 and '57
And 1958 too for the Fury as 2-door hardtop coupe only. And that cuban car could be a DeSoto Diplomat as well. And as it has the Belvedere side trim, it would be Diplomat Custom. The rear fender script and the front fender position make me think it's actually a Diplomat. A pic of the front end would tell exactly what car that one is.

I love the illusion that these cars "survived" in Cuba. If any of these cars could talk, they'd say that they wished they hadn't.

I love the illusion that these cars "survived" in Cuba. If any of these cars could talk, they'd say that they wished they hadn't.
Thank you for saying exactly what all these wonderfully and carefully preserved Cuban cars are really. An illusion by romantics. They do love waxing the House paint that covers them now.

I didn't expect much from them when I went down there. I just assumed that those cars existed there out of necessity.

Stepping out of the airport to the thick scent of Guava and partially burnt gasoline and oil was my first hint to the Bondo patched, JC Whitney clad farm vehicles they'd become over the last 60+ years.

Again, not peeing on anyones BBQ, the cars are still running because they have to .. but it was actually a really depressing site.

Back