62 Chrysler Newport Pitman Arm

Reaction score
I just received my rebuilt Power Steering gear box from Redhead (yeh) however I am having issues with putting on the Pitman Arm.

I lined everything up however the arm will not push all the way onto the worm shaft even with tightening the Nut. What am I missing? It moves into place but doesn't want to move the whole way up the shaft.

Do I need a new pitman arm or new nut?
I thought the pitman arm was suppose to be flush with the power steering gear box...
Did I miss a washer or seal?

Any insight is appreciated.

They are not supposed to go all the way up to the lower end of the steering box. You apparently have the master spline lined up to get the arm on at all, so just put the arm on and tighten the nut to the specification torque in your service manual and you are done. Tightening the nut to spec will make for a press fit. It takes a hefty puller to get the arm off the steering box then and you wouldn't be able to get the tool on the end of the arm if you went all the way up to the box with the arm if you think about it. The service manual also shows a typical installation of the arm in its proper position.

lashbash-1.jpg

There is a taper built into the sector shaft to insure a tight fit. That was done to keep the Pitman arm from walking on the shaft and wearing the spline to where they would eventually strip and lead to a loss of steering control. It is very important to be sure the shaft nut is torqued to factory specs for the same reason.

Dave

Thank you for your input. My manual didn’t have the diagram. Makes complete sense.
On to the next project...ignition.

Back