62 new yorker window crank removal

Biggie

Reaction score
Ok so this may be a retarded question, but how the heck do you remove a window crank handle on my 62 new yorker. Tried to remove the door panel and got it all apart figuring it would have the pin that goes thru that I needed to knock out but didnt see one. Is there some kind of spring clip I'm missing?

Thanks

Eric

Yup. The window crank shaft is square, and there's a bent-flatmetal spring clip. It is not the hairpin-style clip that you push off the shaft with a flat tool available at auto parts stores. The original factory tool has a hinged pair of handles like a pair of pliers, and it bears against the shaft while squeezing one side of the clip in towards the shaft so the opposite side of the clip (which is what's snapped into the slot on the shaft) moves away from the shaft, freeing the handle to be removed. If you don't have the factory tool, which most of us don't, you'll have to improvise. Try gently pushing the door panel outward to create a gap between the handle and the panel, and if you're lucky you'll at least be able to see the clip.

Back